Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 PM

314 posts, read 817,070 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered this, this may seem like a stupid question but I recently got a tattoo and I was so nervous I did not see the guy actually set up his materials. He said he was gonna go set up so I assume everything was okay..and the place I went to is a pretty nice place, not shady at all. I think the guy however was a little drunk tattooing me that he accidentally gave me the wrong change back..Should I be a little worried? haha..I think my paranoia is setting in..
Does anyone have any stories of people getting hepatitis from getting a tattoo? I guess it would be rare because it is against the law to use dirty needles...just a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Not very likely as long as you go to a reputable place. Pretty much all tattoo artists these days take cleanliness and hygiene VERY seriously,and I've never been in a gritty little shop-they're usually sparkly clean.

The fact that it is against the law to re-use old needles is moot, because people still are unlucky and it happens.

I should mention that I've never been in a tattoo shop as a recipient.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM

Yeah I think that the cleanliness factor should've caught my attention first, then actually the tattoo..I was just nervous about the whole thing. He was taking awhile setting up so I am sure there is no concern. But it must be horrible to become HIV+ by getting a tattoo.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:46 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
I've always wondered this, this may seem like a stupid question but I recently got a tattoo and I was so nervous I did not see the guy actually set up his materials. He said he was gonna go set up so I assume everything was okay..and the place I went to is a pretty nice place, not shady at all. I think the guy however was a little drunk tattooing me that he accidentally gave me the wrong change back..Should I be a little worried? haha..I think my paranoia is setting in..
Does anyone have any stories of people getting hepatitis from getting a tattoo? I guess it would be rare because it is against the law to use dirty needles...just a thought...
I don't want to scare you but I'll be straight up with you. It's really hard to say but based on your description it doesn't sound very optimistic because:

1. You didn't mention about asking him how he kept his instruments sterile, eg. does he autoclave them?
Even "clean looking places" can overlook autoclaving instruments and vice/versa.

2. You noticed that the guy was somewhat drunk.

If you are truly concern, make an appointment with your doctor and have a consultation. They can do a serology. Ask your doctor about the "window period" where the patient has the disease however, when a serological test is performed it shows up negative but the patient can still infect people.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
I don't want to scare you but I'll be straight up with you. It's really hard to say but based on your description it doesn't sound very optimistic because:

1. You didn't mention about asking him how he kept his instruments sterile, eg. does he autoclave them?
Even "clean looking places" can overlook autoclaving instruments and vice/versa.

2. You noticed that the guy was somewhat drunk.

If you are truly concern, make an appointment with your doctor and have a consultation. They can do a serology. Ask your doctor about the "window period" where the patient has the disease however, when a serological test is performed it shows up negative but the patient can still infect people.

I am sure everything is fine, I freak myself out in every situation and think about the worst that could happen. There might be plenty of people who probably do not look at the setting up aspect (which I realize it's very important to do so) and they have no concerns. He took awhile to set up but that still is not an excuse. I just wish I was more in control of the situation than worrying about other crap.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I read not to long ago (I'll find the link later when I'm at my computer, my phone is a pain to use) that said more people have caught blood borne diseases from improperly sterilized dental tools than have ever received them from getting a tattoo. If you go to a reputable place that looks clean, uses individually packaged single use needles and auto claves instruments (don't be afraid to ask for their most recent spore tests!). Then you should be fine. The tattoo parlor I go to is cleaner than most doctor/dentist offices... Which really makes me question my doctor and dentist

Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I read not to long ago (I'll find the link later when I'm at my computer, my phone is a pain to use) that said more people have caught blood borne diseases from improperly sterilized dental tools than have ever received them from getting a tattoo. If you go to a reputable place that looks clean, uses individually packaged single use needles and auto claves instruments (don't be afraid to ask for their most recent spore tests!). Then you should be fine. The tattoo parlor I go to is cleaner than most doctor/dentist offices... Which really makes me question my doctor and dentist

Wow that is something to think about!! I never actually thought about that, thanks for the heads up..

I asked him and he says that he uses new needles and new disposable tubes after every tattoo so with that being said I guess I am ok..just in the future I will keep my eyes peeled before what's being put into my body! Everyone should!

Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 AM

615 posts, read 1,675,674 times
Quote:

It may be against the law to use dirty needles, but so is selling drugs/stealing, etc....People still break the law.

I'm not into tattoos; I admire them on others, but just not for me to do on my person. I would imagine that when someone wants to get a tattoo you should research the establishments and through word-of-mouth as well. Just like you would for a car mechanic, doctor and such.

When it comes to one's body and the potential risks one can NEVER be too cautious.

Best!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:

What state do you live in? Most states have VERY strict rules around how a tattoo shop needs to operate. These guys might look like a bunch of misfits, but *most* of them are very serious about their art and their jobs. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
What state do you live in? Most states have VERY strict rules around how a tattoo shop needs to operate. These guys might look like a bunch of misfits, but *most* of them are very serious about their art and their jobs. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

I live in South Florida, the place is reputable it's right next to a bar I always went to.. I know many people who have gotten tattoos there before and one of my friend's knows the owner. I am sure I have nothing to worry about, I get paranoid very easily if you didn't know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty