U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 09:08 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,216,584 times

Advertisements

For years, I just dealt with it. And not until recently did I read up on the subject and realize WHY workout clothes stink. Every shirt I own that contains polyester, stinks. That material doesn't smell great when new, and once it's been "sweatied" up, it always stinks. I've tried every detergent I could find. It may look clean, but as soon as the shirt touches your warm body, the smell pops up.

I read about a few detergents made to kill the bacteria that cause the odors in polyester clothing. The most recommended brand, I could not find. Even online retailers were out of it, and I think the company might have quit making it or gone out of business. Dicks Sporting Goods was listed as a retailer, but when I asked them, they said they stopped carrying it a long time ago. They now sell "Sport Wash" which I bought and tried. Does not work.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a tried and true method of cleaning workout clothes? Apparently your body secrets oils with the sweat, and those oils stick to the fibers, allowing bacteria to grow. Regular washing doesn't remove or kill the bacteria, therefore not removing the smell. I've tried Oxy Clean also. And Tide with Febreeze isn't the answer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:15 AM

477 posts, read 1,236,892 times
Penguin Sports Wash! It's great!
Penguin Apparel Care
I think that you can still purchase it at The Athlete's Foot in Cameron Village.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM

477 posts, read 1,236,892 times
Fashion and Beauty? Seriously? The OP is looking for a place in the Raleigh area where he/she can purchase a product that works to get the stink out of workout clothes, lol!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,216,584 times
Thanks for moving my post to a black hole where it'll never get answered, and I'll never ind it again.

*shakes head in disbelief.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 AM

420 posts, read 964,766 times
I have not tried it, but Tide has a new version out w/ something in it specifically for sports/workout clothes.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 PM

772 posts, read 1,014,065 times
Soak the cloths in vinegar overnight, making sure the stinkiest areas get a good soaking. Then wash with regular detergent and 4 more cups of vinegar. Dry as normal.

It was the only thing that worked on my Ex's shirts....all but the oldest, grossiest that were around way before me. And, they mysteriously disappeared.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
I have not had good luck with polyester clothes--I know exactly what you mean about odor. I had a few shirts that had permanent B.O. I'd wash them but as soon as they warmed up to body temperature, ew.

What about a color-safe bleach? That should kill the bacteria.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,283,584 times
I try and throw them in the wash as soon as I get home from the gym (gives bacteria less time to grow) and add a cup or so of white vinegar...also hang outside and allow to air dry

Old 07-13-2011, 09:06 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Spot treat the stinky parts with lestoil and soak overnight. Wash in the morning with baking soda, white vinegar, tide plus bleach alternative. Skip using dryer sheets and softener for a couple loads. The oil from the sheets traps the body oil on your fabrics.

If you can't wash it right away spritz the stinky parts with alcohol or a spot treatment spray. (like shout)

Old 08-18-2015, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,292 times
I have found that rubbing hand sanitizer directly on the smelly part of the fabric, then letting the fabric air-dry, removes odors. Presumably, the hand sanitizer is killing the bacteria that have been causing the odor. I have also used a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to remove odors. I let the paste sit on the smelly fabric overnight, then wash. However, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda can lighten or bleach some fabrics, so keep this in mind before trying this method. Hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda is also an effective stain remover.

Last edited by Elizabeth Shannon; 08-18-2015 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add another tip to my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty