Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Are there any stores you can't stand or just wouldn't shop there? This isn't to bash anyones favorite stores because I think that there are stores with clothes I can't pull off that the next person can look amazing in.

I like to spend some time at the mall when I want to go shopping and one store I can never find anything in for me is American Apparel. I always had the idea that I could go in there and find something cute or that I would wear but I never do, so I avoid it. I've seen some people love it and can pull of the clothes, but I guess it just isn't my style.

Urban Outfitters rubs me the wrong way also(I don't know why) and there isn't much I would wear from Gucci.

Anyone else?

Burlington Coat factory. the ladies department looks like a shop for a ghetto gutter girl hooker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I don't know what's going on in some of the Marshall's locations I've been in lately, at least as far as menswear is concerned. The clothing, while always considered a discounter, used to be neatly presented and have a good variety between what would be termed business casual (nice khaki pants, polo shirts) and nice casual (nice shorts). They still have some of these items, but to a much more limited degree and only in sizes for smaller men. What has replaced this has been odd looking shorts and pants with big ugly logos (like big flames and lighting bolts and other weird designs) and pants that are incredibly wrinkled on the hangers, faded, and just looking like they're perfect for waxing a car (kind of reminds me of the fad that began several years ago where jeans with holes in them became the "sophisticated" fashion statement. Maybe it's a regional issue (these have been stores in the Southeast US), and maybe the women's clothing is better, but as far as menswear, it's definitely been going downhill for the last 10 years or so, which is a shame.
that's what is in style for the younger generation an the stores you mentioned maybe most of their business is the younger generation so they carry more stuff for them then the older more professional man. I use to work for TJ MAx/Marsh and that is how they decide what to and what not to carry by who is their main customer

Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Victoria's Secret. J. Jill. Macy's.

I heart Nordstrom's.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 AM

V.S. quality has gone down hill in my book.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:19 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I've been to every store in my city and all of them were just scary. I visited them all in one point in time to see if it was just one store in one neighborhood. Some more messy than others but just a hot mess.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Nordstrom's is awesome.

For me, I only go to VS for a bra once in awhile. Most items are overpriced.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM

346 posts, read 498,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
That's because those models and photographers trick you. The models pose one way but you don't see the other side where they might be clipping the shirt or tying it. The photographer also gets them at the right angle. I shop equally at stores and online, but that's one reason I don't like to buy in catalogue or online.
That is so true. They always clip those clothes in the back / places not seen by the camera so they fit so nice / hug curves. Those sizes are often cut very big- like a size 0 is really a size 6. Those models are teeny- in reality, lots of those clothes probably hang on them. The clothes themselves don't ever look as nice when you get them and are of pretty low quality.

I actually love Ross for Less. No stores here in NY, but when I was in TX, found so many cute tops, dresses, etc. for $7, $8, $10 $15 dollars a piece. My kinda store. Was a bit like Marshalls/ TJ Maxx, but nicer. Guess it does depend on the store, too. The Marshalls / TJ Maxx stores near me are an upside down mess- stuff all over the place. I feel like I'm rooting through someone's closet.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I purchase a lot from VS, but I don't exactly have high expectations of their goods. Their items aren't all that expensive, especially if you use promo codes. I tend to wear their stuff for a season or two then toss it. But yeah, I agree they do run rather large but I feel like most stores do these days.

VS is on the same level as Forever21. I buy a lot of clothes there as well, but again, they're disposable. If I ruin it, I don't sweat it.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip8056 View Post
The Marshalls / TJ Maxx stores near me are an upside down mess- stuff all over the place. I feel like I'm rooting through someone's closet.
Yeah, makes me want to put stuff in order sometimes...the organizer in me!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM

best time to visit discount stores or when they open in the AM when everything is neat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty