U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 AM

4,736 posts, read 3,614,977 times
No, that wasn't the ironic part. The irony is that one would assume that women who are "comfortable in their own skin" would be *more* likely to get tattooed than women who were worried about how other people perceive them.

I like the Austin Powers reference, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 AM

19,134 posts, read 13,380,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
If you are their pilot, then they look upon you as "the help" and there are different standards for "the help" than there are for people that truly are in their circle of friends. My cleaning lady has a few tattoos (and is a nice person) but I'm not going to invite her to a dinner party with my friends.

I'm sure that people with tattoos think that the tattoos are beautiful, interesting, tasteful, classy and all the rest, but that segment of the population has typical characteristics which most other people simply do not find appealing. I usually do not find that I have enough in common with people who have tattoos to actually befriend one.
Wow... What a terrible attitude towards others... But you're obviously entitled to your opinions.

However, I'm not a commercial pilot, I'm a hobby pilot that flies for fun. My clients have no problem inviting me to personal events. Perhaps some consider me 'the help', but those are not the type of people I want to associate with anyway. People that consider others 'beneath them' because of the job they do are so much worse than those who simply have tattoos. I can cover my tattoos up... Bad attitudes are a bit harder to hide.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:40 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,185,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Also, Pixie has a cleavage tattoo. So, you like her now, but when she (assumedly) becomes a grandmother, you'll then think she's trash?
I wont think she's trash, but that tat would definitely not look good. Thats just what happens when a 20 something gets a tat - in 30 years it wont look as good. Now, take a 50 year old granny who wants to get a boob a tat, then yeah, that is someone who I would say is not Hilary Clinton or Nancy Pelosi but would more than likely be more like a Rock Of Love reject.

I have a lot of dude friends with tats and they all get them because they want to give a certain impression to others about who/what they are. The martial artist/mma fighters get chinese dragons and chinese writing because they want to show people that they are bada$$es. The gangster types get them becuase they want to show their gang affiliation and how tough they are by getting tats on their necks. The "artsy" dudes who take photos of hot chicks and rock concerts get them to show "hey, Im an artist and Im a bada$$". The Skank ho chicks get the mark of the hoar (sp) on their lower backs because they want the guys who are banging them doggy to see "art" and think they are "cool".

Im not saying ALL people who get tats are this way, but a great majority of them ARE. Its okay. Pixie is hot. Ive seen other chicks with full sleeves who are hot. The bellydance/yoga chicks I know with their thousand dollar tats are HOT and Im okay with that. But when you get chicks wanting to get their boobs tatted then that is a completely different type of person.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM

12,381 posts, read 8,091,663 times
I think these are kinda cool looking.

But I'd have to be a stripper to have them.

Spoiler
http://cdn.gossiboocrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/293eve112907.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 PM

4,736 posts, read 3,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I wont think she's trash, but that tat would definitely not look good. Thats just what happens when a 20 something gets a tat - in 30 years it wont look as good. Now, take a 50 year old granny who wants to get a boob a tat, then yeah, that is someone who I would say is not Hilary Clinton or Nancy Pelosi but would more than likely be more like a Rock Of Love reject.

I have a lot of dude friends with tats and they all get them because they want to give a certain impression to others about who/what they are. The martial artist/mma fighters get chinese dragons and chinese writing because they want to show people that they are bada$$es. The gangster types get them becuase they want to show their gang affiliation and how tough they are by getting tats on their necks. The "artsy" dudes who take photos of hot chicks and rock concerts get them to show "hey, Im an artist and Im a bada$$". The Skank ho chicks get the mark of the hoar (sp) on their lower backs because they want the guys who are banging them doggy to see "art" and think they are "cool".

Im not saying ALL people who get tats are this way, but a great majority of them ARE. Its okay. Pixie is hot. Ive seen other chicks with full sleeves who are hot. The bellydance/yoga chicks I know with their thousand dollar tats are HOT and Im okay with that. But when you get chicks wanting to get their boobs tatted then that is a completely different type of person.

OK. If that makes sense to you, who am I to argue.

Stereotypes are based on widely perceived truths, I'll certainly not argue with you there. However, like nearly all stereotypes, they are wrong nearly as often as they are right.

P.S. I'm in the process of getting a 3/4 sleeve tattoo completed. I'm the farthest thing from a badass, gangster, artist or MMA fighter that there is. I'm getting it because *I* like it, not for anyone else or for any other reasons.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:22 PM

11,494 posts, read 10,034,696 times
I don't like them and I think they are the ultimate of tackiness. IMO, very few things instantly downgrade a woman more than tattoos, especially on such a beautiful part of the female anatomy as the breasts.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,390,476 times
Oh, misogyny. When a man gets tattoos, he's a bad boy, he's cool and he's interesting. When a woman gets tattoos, she's trashy, uneducated, and hideous.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:35 AM

13,302 posts, read 6,010,389 times
Quote:
Thats just what happens when a 20 something gets a tat - in 30 years it wont look as good.
You could probably replace 'tat' with:
Hair cut
teeth whitening
ear piercing

so what point are you trying to make?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,185,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

so what point are you trying to make?
My point is quite clear, you just missed it. Try going back and reading my posts again in their entirety, but this time, read slowly for better comprehension.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 AM

13,302 posts, read 6,010,389 times
Quote:
My point is quite clear, you just missed it. Try going back and reading my posts again in their entirety, but this time, read slowly for better comprehension.
Ahh...the 'reading comprehension' card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty