Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

Funny, this book was recommended this morning on another site I like. I put it on my wish list! It looks like it has some good advice for building a wardrobe.

Amazon.com: What I Wore: Four Seasons, One Closet, Endless Recipes for Personal Style (9780345526106): Jessica Quirk: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 06:47 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,777 times
New York and Company has great clothes for business casual. They always have items on sale and usually have deals on dress pants. I have to wear business casual to work as well and that is what I wear.

I'd purchase some of these basics...
black and brown dress pants
cardigans (go with colors that go with both pants)
tops for underneath cardigans that can mix and match with a variety
black pumps (go to TJMaxx or even Payless)
black and brown socks
a pantsuit for an even more professional look
button up tops
a black pencil skirt

DON'T FORGET ACCESSORIES! Some nice earrings, a watch, bracelet or necklace can really compliment an outfit. All of those can be purchased at NY and Co as well.

Also don't be afraid to ask for help at the store. Employees are more than willing to assist their customers.

Good luck in your new job!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,145 times
You have gotten some great suggestions. Remember to buy quality over quantity. A couple of nice good fitting pants, skirts, etc and a few tops are much better than several cheap items and they will last as you continue to build your wardrobe. Now is a good time to shop for sale items in colors that can take you through fall.

Marshalls, Ross and TJMaxx will give you good selections at good prices. Also consider getting a job in your favorite store for the discount.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Check out thriftstores, and consignment shops. I shop at Nordstrom Rack, and only look at things that have been marked down three times or more. I also shop at other department stores, with the same rule, only buy things that have been marked down twice. If it is not on sale, I don't buy it.

Don't buy too much at once. Black pants with black shoes, black socks, with a few decent tops will be fine until you have more money. Go cheap on underwear, socks, Target, Wal-Mart. They also have some decent clothes...but I have found cheaper, better stuff at regular department stores, on the sale racks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty