U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 08:05 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,275,659 times

Advertisements

I love vintage "costume" jewelry. I collect very unique pieces and receive endless compliments whenever I wear them (which is quite often) Oh, and just because something is supposedly "real" does not mean that it can't also be junk (ie the notoriously awful mall jewelry stores such as Zales, Jared, Kay, Crown Jewelers, Kevin Jewelers et al)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 PM

323 posts, read 427,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman
NJBest...people without a lot of money wear "fake jewelery"...it has nothing to do with the person...if they had "fake" jeans or t-shirts that looked good, were durable, and inexpensive then yes....I would wear them.

I didn't say anything about money. What's the point of wearing fake things? That was my point. You just want to make yourself feel better? If so, then you have self esteem issues.

There's nothing wrong with wearing low cost things, but why do they have to be fake things designed to resemble something they are not?

Because perhaps you like the way it looks but it is not a priority to spend your money for it - even if you can afford it - there are lots of things for sale based on the concept of things costing more money - some people want it because of the design and do not mind that it is a replica/copy/fake

Old 08-05-2011, 09:11 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,939,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I was just wondering how many people wear fake jewelry? Do any men do? Cause I recently had a sudden interest in some blingish-type men's bracelets and rings. But I'm not trying to be like rappers in music videos. Just some bling here and there to up my wardrobe a bit. To change it up. Most of the ones I'm looking at are made of cubic zirconium.

I would rather have less and have it all be real.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,407,014 times
Honestly I have Tiffany's jewelry and that stuff tarnished all the time. The stuff I get from a lower retail stores tends to stay much nicer longer.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:19 AM

4,810 posts, read 5,436,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Fake people wear fake jewelry.
Tell that to Coco Chanel, the founder of Chanel and one of the greatest fashion icons in the history of fashion. She disagreed.

Her Philosophy: Coco Chanel Jewelry

She felt the purpose of costume jewelry was to make the woman beautiful, like a piece of art; not to advertise how much money she was wearing around her neck.

Many vintage costume pieces go for a lot of money because of the artistry. Guess it depends whether you look at jewelry as art or money.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 08-06-2011 at 12:32 AM..

Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 AM

17,414 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Quote:
Fake people wear fake jewelry. I'm not that big on jewelry, but whatever I have is real.

It's not like you'd go around wearing fake jeans or shirts.
Oh, I understand....it's Jersey thing....got it

That comment is like RHONJ, Jersey Shore and Jerseylicious all rolled into one.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:31 AM

4,810 posts, read 5,436,611 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with wearing low cost things, but why do they have to be fake things designed to resemble something they are not?
A lot of costume jewelry is exaggerated in size or shape so that no one would ever think the stones were real. That's what Coco Chanel did when she designed jewelry. If she did fake pearls, she often colored them and made them larger than any real pearls could be.

See the link above to see her philosophy.

And then you have to look at the Art Nouveau era in jewelry. Artists began experimenting with all sorts of materials, even brass, shell, enamel, and semi-precious stones. Jewelry from that era is highly sought after and it's in museums.

They believed in designing jewelry as "art" rather than focusing on monetary value.

I have both real and costume and I mix them. The costume I buy is always because of the design. Designers of costume jewelry take more risks with their designs and so they can be more fun to wear.

I have one vintage costume pair of earrings that are so unusual, I'd be just as devastated to lose them as I would the real stuff. I would never be able to replace them.

I think the whole definition of "jewelry" is too narrow in some minds.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:20 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,122,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Tell that to Coco Chanel, the founder of Chanel and one of the greatest fashion icons in the history of fashion. She disagreed.

Her Philosophy: Coco Chanel Jewelry

She felt the purpose of costume jewelry was to make the woman beautiful, like a piece of art; not to advertise how much money she was wearing around her neck.

Many vintage costume pieces go for a lot of money because of the artistry. Guess it depends whether you look at jewelry as art or money.
Costume jewelry is art and one can appreciate art. How someone can appreciate fake jewelry I don't get. There's a difference between a a nice ring with a cz stone... and a ring trying to fakely trying to pass off as a specific piece of designer jewelry (like buying a Bulgari knockoff).

Old 08-06-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sankofa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman
NJBest...people without a lot of money wear "fake jewelery"...it has nothing to do with the person...if they had "fake" jeans or t-shirts that looked good, were durable, and inexpensive then yes....I would wear them.

I didn't say anything about money. What's the point of wearing fake things? That was my point. You just want to make yourself feel better? If so, then you have self esteem issues.

Because perhaps you like the way it looks but it is not a priority to spend your money for it - even if you can afford it - there are lots of things for sale based on the concept of things costing more money - some people want it because of the design and do not mind that it is a replica/copy/fake
They have costume jewelry for those people. I don't get why one would want to wear fake knockoffs.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Oh, I understand....it's Jersey thing....got it

That comment is like RHONJ, Jersey Shore and Jerseylicious all rolled into one.
Explain. How is me not understanding why people would buy fake Tiffany's, Piaget, and Graff knockoffs having issues is a "Jersey thing". We have people that wear real stuff, and costume jewelry, and I'm certain some that wear fake replicas of high end brands. I understand real jewelry and costume jewelry. It's the fake stuff that says "ooh, look, i have a Bulgari ring, but only I know I got it for under $500".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty