Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times

Advertisements

For those who really want to get into this subject, there is a book on the subject-

How Not to Look Old by Charla Krupp

its got pictures in it to show examples. Its worth checking out from the liberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 07:10 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Fantastic thread!

I think women spend too much time on minor things, and far too little time on the things that count.

Things that count would include exercise, diet, Vitamins, and adequate rest. Also important is avoidance of harmful substances (Sugar, enzyme detergents, pesticides...and obviously, booze, ciggies and drugs) I work out two hours a day, eat mostly Organic Vegan, and have always insisted that getting enough sleep was Priority One. Considering that I'm 46, and still getting hit-on by twenty-year-old musclemen at the gym, I must be doing something right. They might be embarrassed to be seen 'dating' someone my age, but they definitely want to do me.

I don't wear makeup. I do not pluck my eyebrows. I do not have 'Girly Nails'. I never touch Alcohol, and the cleaning products in our home amount to little more than Distilled Water, a wet rag, and a dry buffing rag. We forbid Enzyme Detergents for laundry, and have our dry-cleanables sent to a 'green' laundry, which bombards them with harmless Carbon Dioxide.

I wear flats, not heels, even though I'm short. And I do have my board-straight, thick, heavy 'Indian Hair' (Graduated Bob Cut) cut and colored at the best salon. We DO have the chlorine filtered out of most outlets at our house (Chlorine degrades proteins, which would include Hair and Collagen....we have a couple of central filters), and when out of town, I arrange to have distilled water sent to my room. And I take a range of antioxidant supplements, in addition to those I get from my hyper-healthy diet.

I DO wear very expensive clothing, and except for when going to Rodeos, my casual garb is edgy: frequently off-the-runway stuff most women would not dare to wear. I DO wear 'quality foundations'. I DO wear big pieces of jewelry...mostly bracelets and necklaces...I detest earrings, and have had the few pair I own modified to be clip-ons. Earrings are creepy, and droopy earlobes distorted by them give me the heebiejeebies. Oh, and I DO ignore any physician who tells me my Bodyfat Ratio is on the low side of 'ideal'.

But the gist of it is that fussing with your hair, makeup, and nails, while being out-of-shape, malnourished, overweight, slowly being poisoned by a plethora of avoidable substances, and running around in cheap, shapeless, unflattering clothing....will definitely make you look (and BE) old before your time.

A guy will be far more impressed watching you lift the entire stack on the Adductor Machine (inner thighs...and most gals will do well to work up to half the stack of weights), than he will be by how artfully you've plucked your eyebrows. Heck...even the meth-victim women in the before & after photos...despite looking worse than Zombies arisen from the grave...have perfectly plucked eyebrows.

Well gooood for you.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:17 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
For those who really want to get into this subject, there is a book on the subject-

How Not to Look Old by Charla Krupp

its got pictures in it to show examples. Its worth checking out from the liberry.
I hear she advocates Botox and very expensive accessories....not my style.
whatever floats your boat I guess.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Well gooood for you.

my sentiments exactly. Her location speaks volumes. Snob-ville!!!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
A guy will be far more impressed watching you lift the entire stack on the Adductor Machine (inner thighs...and most gals will do well to work up to half the stack of weights), than he will be by how artfully you've plucked your eyebrows.
I would think the vast majority of guys would be much more interested in a woman who can't bench her own weight yet is young in spirit and fun to be around, then they would in someone with an overly inflated sense of self-worth and self-centered to the point of obsession...JMO. Of course, if 'guys' are defined as juiced up 20-something 'musclemen' in the gym looking for a similarly-minded chick to 'do', I can see how that'd be a good match...

Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
Hmmmm... thread started out kinda cool, and then NOTTTT...

I'm known to always say "to each their own," but i do of course think we should look our best (it feels good to!) - but also feel like OURSELVES. Be who you want to be. Dont conform and try to look like someone else that you arent, and wont FEEL right trying to be.

I'm in my 50's, and dated a guy in his 20's for over 2 years (he wasnt a 'muscleman,' however) - and i'm NOTHING like the poster who spoke about the younger guys being attracted to her. They dont all like the same thing, just like guys of any age.

Take care of yourself, dress in clothes that fit and that you like. Keep your mind fresh, excited, and interesting. Smile and be proud of who you are, and your age.
Take care of your hair and skin. These of course are basic things that women should do at any age! I agree that less is best when it comes to makeup - no thick, drawn on magic-marker eyebrows. And no thick, cakey, dryish lipstick.

And i steer clear of Quaker Factory sequin and glitter-wear, i dont wear clunky sneakers (or 'running shoes') with my jeans. I dont like that look on older women - i would rather see Uggs, Rocket Dog-type shoes, clogs, nice flip-flops (with well-taken-care-of feet, of course), Vans slip-ons, etc.

And i DONT wear two-piece 'running suits' (still sweatsuits to me). At a certain age i felt THEY aged me.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:21 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,052 times
To me the things that make a person 'look old' are the things that age springs upon a person that they ignore, rather than the person's individual style and beauty choices.

Regular hair removal on the face and neck would probably be my #1 recommendation for an aging woman.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 AM

474 posts, read 905,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Your harsh! oh please,this is about "FASHION" mistakes, 5 of these are just plain crude and rude. Grow up.
Except for being fat, don't all of the comments deal with clothing or things women do everyday?

If a woman has a big belly, should she let it show like a muffin?

If a woman has a flabby butt, should she wear snug thin pants?

If she sags, should she choose clothes that shows it?

These are all fashion or beauty things that women have control over.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:16 AM

301 posts, read 823,795 times
The old stand-bys are:
Mom jeans, jeans that are too tights, faded jeans, jeans that ride too low.
Jeans with gym shoes - actually, gym shoes anywhere but in the gym.
Pants with words across your "arse" - probably not a great look on anyone past college age.
Sweatshirts and T-shirts w/pictures or sayings on the front.
"Sensible" shoes - there are many chic and comfortable alternatives.
Holiday themed attire.
"Old lady" looking handbags.
Barrettes.
Nude pantyhose - especially with shorts or jeans! White panty hose (who buys these except nurses?)
Glitter in hair, make-up, or clothers - unless you are in the entertainment business.
Baring elbows, knees, upperarms, cleavage - unless you are the rare specimen w/flawless skin & toned.
Cat's eye make-up, over-the-top smokey eyes, orange or hard red lipsticks.
Overly matte lipstick, eye shadows, or foundation.
Too much perfume. Scents that are too "elderly".
Almost anything found in your teen/young adult daughter's closet - or your grandmother's closet.
Ankle bracelets, toe rings, multiple finger rings, and wearing too many pieces at once (except bangles).
Sensible-looking Timex-style watch worn as jewelry.
Pull-on pants.
Grey hair (usually, but not always), yellow teeth, blue eye-shadow.
Dragon lady nails.
Crocs - unless you are pulling weeds.

If the above were laws, then I am probably a felon - or at least a repeat offender! Better get busy and clean out the closet!

Old 09-27-2011, 08:16 AM

474 posts, read 905,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
And i DONT wear two-piece 'running suits' (still sweatsuits to me). At a certain age i felt THEY aged me.
Bravo.

Women should never ever ever wear two piece running suits outside of the house. Especially velour. You don't look athletic in them (most women who wear them aren't athletic anyway). They are a lazy way to choose what to wear (a single outfit!). If by chance you are athletic, and want to look good, you have so many choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty