Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Never. I don't do massages because I don't want strangers touching me, and I do all my skin care and hair removal at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
For me, no waxing at all. Eyebrows, I tweeze at home; no upper lip hair removal needs for me, thank goodness! For the underbrush, just trimmed & shaved at the edges.

Facials I do at home. I have occasionally had them done professionally, and I recently had a fraxel facial, but my skin is pretty good naturally, so home care works well enough.

Massages, next to never. They're a delightful unnecessary treat, and I choose to put my unnecessary treat dollars elsewhere, such as regular manicures (2x/month) and pedicures (1x/month) instead.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
I dislike massages. I find them to be painful. I used to get professional facials about every 3 months. I have nice clear skin. Which is lucky for me because with my kids schedule and life I have not been able to have one for about two years! Hair removal....I get my eyebrows threaded about every three months and tweeze any strays in between. Legs etc. I shave. I have recently started waxing my arms by myself at home and do that about every three months as well. Nails I have been having the shelack manicure which I can stretch out to 3 weeks if I do french or have a natural color. If it is a dark color two weeks. Pedicure about every 6 weeks but usually can't find the time to go in so they end up looking bad for about 2 weeks before I force myself to take the time!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
This question applies to both sexes.
Facials -- never. I have rosacea, and a lot of "natural" products will cause a flare, and heat can cause it.... luckily I have great skin, and the rosacea is well under control. I use a very light foundation/moisturizer to cover what little redness I have.

I don't wax -- facially for the same reason -- heat + rosacea means flare up.

Massages however. I get a full body massage every two weeks -- sometimes in the winter, weekly. My body gets abused with the work I do (janitorial) and the muscles get stressed out pushing a 16 pound vacuum over a 1/4 a mile a day. And I have bad knees, and arthritis.... the massage helps.

A LOT.

Now -- I don't go to just anybody -- I've been going to the same woman for years and she knows all the spots that need busted up.... and I have to say, it's not relaxing -- it hurts on a lot of the big muscles. There's this thing she does with her elbow into my butt muscle that really hurts..... and then it stops hurting and then.... for a week or more my knee is much better.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:26 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I just started electrolysis so I won't have to do waxing anymore. It's not so bad.

I also go to the same person for microderm abrasion once a month after starting with a weekly regimen at first.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
I do everything at home too. I would like to start to go get massages as boyfriends are a poor substitute once you had a real massage therapist work on you. I don't really like strangers touching me at all but I was fine with a friend who was a teacher of massage therapy. O H M Y G A W D. I feel so relaxed after it. But she moved states away...boo.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Massages - very rarely..... except if we go to Thailand then it's every. single. day.

Waxing and Facials - I do myself for the most part. It's much cheaper and I find it really hard to find time to get in and out of a salon. I used to go more often, esp when we we traveling but it's just so hard to find the time now that I've had BabyGirl and need a sitter or husband to watch her...

Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
I do none of these, having preferred to save money for retirement during my working years.
Since someone mentioned Thailand, maybe I would try it if I went there on vacation.
The economy is so dicey that although a person should enjoy life, she should always be prepared for some future emergency, as well. I just don't feel free enough to support these little luxuries and think those well enough off to do them are very fortunate indeed.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Ok thanks for your input.

Is there a big difference between using Nair verses going for professional waxing?
Your welcome.

There is a difference. Overall you get better results with waxing. If you don't want to deal with pain and want a cheaper solution use Nair( Nair is smelly be warned).Nair leaves your skin feeling silky smooth after you get out for the shower my favorite is the cocoa butter one but the baby oil one works just as good. Be sure to read the instructions carefully. Waxing definitely lasts longer but applying Nair twice a week isn't so bad either. I think the more you use Nair the less prominent your unwanted hairs would be just something that I noticed.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:17 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I do none of these, having preferred to save money for retirement during my working years.
Since someone mentioned Thailand, maybe I would try it if I went there on vacation.
The economy is so dicey that although a person should enjoy life, she should always be prepared for some future emergency, as well. I just don't feel free enough to support these little luxuries and think those well enough off to do them are very fortunate indeed.
i'm with you - i have family members on very limited incomes that feel like they just "have to have" their mani's and pedis and arcylics nails...... they just can't seem to grasp that they are literally spending thousands of dollars a year on fingernails.... I just can't see paying someone to do something that I could easily do myself. Heck, if I could cut my own hair - i might even consider doing that..

Massages are very cheap in Thailand... I'm lucky in that my husband's job requires him to travel and pays his airfare, hotel, car rental and a decent per diem..... so I can tag along for just the price of my ticket, and he flys so far and often that most times it's either free or we're upgraded to first or at least business class.... Massages aside, you should go if you ever get the chance, it's a truly amazing place...

FreshFresh - if you decide to use the Nair, make sure you do a test area first, some people have pretty bad reactions to it, esp if you have sensitive skin. There are some pretty decent home-waxing strips out there, I usually get the Neet brand. It takes a little practice to self-wax but once you get the hang of the results are just as good as a salon, IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty