Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:22 PM

48,381 posts, read 34,511,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not in every culture........
No, mainly US and European.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 03:59 PM

15,442 posts, read 21,258,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Are you seriously comparing accessories and beauty products to biological features?

Let's put a rainbow coat and crazy beads on the peahen and she'll be more eye-catching than the peacock. And add a weave to the lioness, dye it, give her a perm, a mani/pedi, add some silk robes. Who do you notice now?
I agree with you. I have trouble deciding whether this a discussion of biology or fashion although most here seem to think fashion is the same as genetics.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:11 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,799,676 times
If humans are the only species where this is true it makes me proud to be a human being. I love the glam look for women..makeup, heels, hair, cute outfits, sexy outfits, etc. It's all so exciting to see and makes life a joy.

Male appearence on the other hand is boring as can be. I dont care what any man looks like including myself (not that I'm a slob or anything). I find male peacocking to be offensive and annoying. Men should be low key and sexually invisible...women should be the center of attention.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:21 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,841,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
If humans are the only species where this is true it makes me proud to be a human being. I love the glam look for women..makeup, heels, hair, cute outfits, sexy outfits, etc. It's all so exciting to see and makes life a joy.

Male appearence on the other hand is boring as can be. I dont care what any man looks like including myself (not that I'm a slob or anything). I find male peacocking to be offensive and annoying. Men should be low key and sexually invisible...women should be the center of attention.

If you feel that way how do you expect females to feel attracted to you?

Old 10-09-2011, 01:12 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,799,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
[/b]

If you feel that way how do you expect females to feel attracted to you?
Well you said it yourself, this is the way humans are compared to other species. Women are the peacocks. Our culture pays more attention to female appearence and fashion. Other than metrosexuals, most men don't think much about their appearence. Yet women are attracted to these men,, couples form, and the species continues.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Well you said it yourself, this is the way humans are compared to other species. Women are the peacocks. Our culture pays more attention to female appearence and fashion. Other than metrosexuals, most men don't think much about their appearence. Yet women are attracted to these men,, couples form, and the species continues.
But that's only true of this culture and this time. If you look at the majority of human cultures around the world, it's either the male who fills the role of the 'peacock', or else there isn't much differentiation. It's rare for a society to focus mainly on the appearance of the female.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,704 times
Quote:
Metaphorically and socially speaking. I should mention this is generally the case in post-19th century Western culture, which has now spread around the world too.

Just look at a typical magazine rack. Photos of women dominate magazines marketed to both men and women.

Women have such a variety of fashion styles etc to choose from and 'fashion' is still predominantly a female domain.

Women wear colourful, fancy clothing, more jewellry on average, wear makeup.etc, while in formal situations men wear generic tuxedos with bowties. Their individual sense of style is not celebrated. It's changing, but male fashion is still comparatively boring.

Women totally obsess about their body and their attractiveness to men. They are insecure about their attractiveness to other women as competition, and they base all their self-esteem on looks.

This may be a result of how much they have been objectified in the past. In the 1500s it was more as property, now the objectification is more sexual.

Nowadays it's popular to hear women say that objectively speaking females are better looking.

Why is this so? I don't think it's an innate human trait at all. I'm straight but men can be just as attractive in their own way, and if you strip away their makeup and fancy dresses and and cosmetics and spa treatments most men and women look just as plain.

In virtually all other species it is the male which is more eye-catchingly attractive or at least eye-catching, whether that be peacocks or lions. Females tend to be the plainer, duller ones.

Compared to say some birds and spiders, male and female apes look pretty similar, although there are some differences compared to say dogs. I think this is the case with humans, too. The average woman isn't objectively more beautiful than the average man, whether that be their face or their body.

Females were attracted to males with these attributes, while males were just attracted to most females in order to spread that seed. There was no impetus for the female to look particularly attractive...being healthy looking and fertile was all that was needed. It was the male who needed to get out there into battle, to be the most colourful etc.

My theory is that it is largely a result of capitalism. That's right, modern day capitalism, in particular. A result of trying to sell to the market by commercializing beauty and pre-packaging it and promoting to. Whether that be to entice men or to make women think they need it. Like they say, an advertiser tries to tell you that you need something that you really don't. It's a product of the modern lifestyle, in a large part, everything from selling razors to women to actresses and models defining beauty.

Another consequence of this is that more women have that princess complex, and more aspire to be some beauty queen. They seem themselves more and more as the prizes that men should be lucky to even dream of having. Being seen mainly as objects of desire has emptied themselves of their own personality and individuality, and alot of them are mannequin sheep all dolled up.
lol we paint the bright plummage on , rather

Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 PM

37,277 posts, read 61,039,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagon View Post
Sometimes with a putty knife

Old 10-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagon View Post
That's what I mean. Women are assuming the male role. It's actually unnatural for women to be dolling up etc. Not that I'm complaining about it, just getting us to think more about the way things are and not just accept things because we've grown accustomed to them.

I know this idea will threaten alot of people because they're so used to it always being this way that they can't possibly imagine another world.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,689,700 times
Quote:
That's what I mean. Women are assuming the male role. It's actually unnatural for women to be dolling up etc. Not that I'm complaining about it, just getting us to think more about the way things are and not just accept things because we've grown accustomed to them.

I know this idea will threaten alot of people because they're so used to it always being this way that they can't possibly imagine another world.
Why is it unnatural for women to be dolling up? Just because male birds and lions are more eye-catching?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty