Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:25 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,910 times

Advertisements

I've only bought 3 expensive purses in my life. One for the spring and summer, one for the fall and winter (it's waterproof), and one for school.

I'm OK with paying a lot for a purse as long as I use it to death and don't make a habit of buying expensive purses just to say i did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 03:27 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
i had a fake lv wallet and a kid in my class had a real one, we compared and my cheaply made fake actually seemed to be better quality than his real one lol.

like anything there's diff price points. sometimes you get better quality in the case of many handbags i think its strictly a name but people can spend their money on what they want, they sell them so people must buy them.

personally ive never been big into brands. really i get to pay $1200 for a purse and be a walking advertisement for your company? you should pay me

Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,266 times
I agree! I started a thread a month ago on LV purses but the thread got out of hand.

I currently can get most designer brand purses at cost ( not LV or Hermes unfortunately) and I was surprised how much the mark up was on purses. I have an LV my friend bought me, so buying these other purses aren't as fun but nice to have a bunch of colors.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I just can't bring myself to part with hundreds of dollars for a purse.
I didn't think I ever would but then I went through 3 purses in about 6 months because they broke in some way. Dh got tired of me complaining about the lack of quality so he spent $150 on a Coach purse, which is very well made and guaranteed. If this purse breaks, they'll fix it.

I've talked to people who have had Coach purses for 10 years before they needed to replace them. If I have this one 10 years, it will have cost us $15/year and I would spend much more than that on less expensive purses that don't hold up.

I am very impressed with the quality. The straps are reinforced where they attach to the rings and the rings are oversized so the leather isn't pinched and the rings are smooth so they don't wear on the leather, the zipper is industrial strength...I can see this purse lasting me 10 years. Of course, I'll need one for spring, summer and fall ....(Dh bought black so winter is covered). But even if I buy three more, I will have spent no more than I would have anyway on purses if they last.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I didn't think I ever would but then I went through 3 purses in about 6 months because they broke in some way. Dh got tired of me complaining about the lack of quality so he spent $150 on a Coach purse, which is very well made and guaranteed. If this purse breaks, they'll fix it.

I've talked to people who have had Coach purses for 10 years before they needed to replace them. If I have this one 10 years, it will have cost us $15/year and I would spend much more than that on less expensive purses that don't hold up.

I am very impressed with the quality. The straps are reinforced where they attach to the rings and the rings are oversized so the leather isn't pinched and the rings are smooth so they don't wear on the leather, the zipper is industrial strength...I can see this purse lasting me 10 years. Of course, I'll need one for spring, summer and fall ....(Dh bought black so winter is covered). But even if I buy three more, I will have spent no more than I would have anyway on purses if they last.
I find this is true. I haven't had to get rid of a broken purse in who knows how long since I started buying nicer ones.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Default Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

I have many Coach pieces, purchased in the 70's and 80's I still use today. Two backpacks, a duffel, and various purses. They are the original full leather traditional pieces. My standard graduation present (college) until the last few years, has been Coach briefcases. My dogs had Coach collars and leashes, and my husband has Coach belts.

About 5 years ago I sent two back to have the twist latches replaced. Not only were the latches replaced, I had all new hardware, and they were conditioned and polished. All I had to do was to take them to a Coach retail store, and pay shipping. It is a company that does honor its guarantee.

That said, I don't really care for the contemporary designs. They are made in China, and not at all as sturdy. The new all leather pieces are not as thick, but still better than cheaper brands.

Lately I have been buying Brahmin purses. I have a few DB's which are also quality.

Never had a purse actually break.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The typical LV bags are made of a special type of canvas. I agree, they are way overpriced. But there are loads of other choices out there at different price points. Depends on what you want.

LV is cashing in on be a well known and well recognized luxury brand. They have been putting profits over products for quite a while now.
I disagree. An LV handbag will last you a lifetime - well made and designed to deal with life's wear and tear. It's my go to bag for traveling and for use in inclement weather.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:46 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
I agree! I started a thread a month ago on LV purses but the thread got out of hand.

I currently can get most designer brand purses at cost ( not LV or Hermes unfortunately) and I was surprised how much the mark up was on purses. I have an LV my friend bought me, so buying these other purses aren't as fun but nice to have a bunch of colors.

WHOA! How do you buy them at cost?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Well - maybe they are. Golfers are notoriously gullible to "drive the ball farther" gadgets. But I bet most golfers don't buy as many golf clubs over ten years as women buy expensive purses.

I don't think anything that men buy is as crazily overpriced as women's purses and shoes.
No but they sure do spend a lot clubs, golf gadgets, green fees, drinks at the 19th hole, and entry fees for tournaments.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
It's not my fault. Her dad got to her first and raised her that way. I can only do so much in terms of reversing the inherent, selfish, spoiled little brat princess-syndrome she suffers from which includes an extreme sense of entitlement, need for admiration and her princess personna. I'm still dealing with daddy too in a constant battle for her attention and love. It gets rough sometimes. And, I do not have any kids since most of the women I have been with are too self centered and selfish to even have one, so I'm left dealing with women that are adult children and pout when they don't get their way and act like the entire world evolves around them. Thats who these purses are made for. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
I find your posts to be very offensive and misogynistic. First, I was not aware that you had to be a beauty queen in order to have a man buy you an expensive handbag. It sounds like you are saying that they the only ones worthy of such a gift. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know lots of beautiful women who have never have nor never would allow a man to give them expensive gifts such as designer handbags, jewelry, etc. and I know lots of unattractive women who do allow men to give them such gifts.

As for women being too self centered to have children that is false...most women don't want children either because they are selfish but because they are waiting for the right partner and the right time to have them with or because they can't have children.

I for one happen to be attractive...enough so that I have a date every weekend if I want one and I modeled when I was younger - legit modeling with a legit modeling agency. I have never allowed a man to buy me such expensive gifts and yet I have a closet full of French and Italian handmade handbags and shoes. I have them because I like appreciate quality and I bought them with the money I earned not because I manipulated a man with low self esteem who needs to buy my affection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty