Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:02 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

I'm a 5'8" 165 guy who recently needed to buy new clothes after losing some weight. I went to the GAP only to discover I'm now a size small, rather than the medium I'd expected would fit. I don't think I'm a small person but apparently the GAP thinks I am. Is this "downsizing" now commonplace? Is it supposed to make me want to shop there because I fit into a smaller size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:10 AM

615 posts, read 1,675,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm a 5'8" 165 guy who recently needed to buy new clothes after losing some weight. I went to the GAP only to discover I'm now a size small, rather than the medium I'd expected would fit. I don't think I'm a small person but apparently the GAP thinks I am. Is this "downsizing" now commonplace? Is it supposed to make me want to shop there because I fit into a smaller size?
I just means that different designers sizes vary. I can be anywhere from a 4 - 8; depending who makes the clothes.

I wouldn't put too much thought into this.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 AM

501 posts, read 1,473,814 times
YES! This "vanity sizing" has been going on for a few years now. I used to wear a size 4 (and can still wear it in the "old" sizing) but now have to buy a 0 or 2 depending on the clothing line.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:19 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,077 times
I ran into that problem with Gap and Levis, I could be a size X one year but when I reordered size X in the future they would be different.

Frankly I thought it was a quality control problem. These companies buy 'lots' of orders from different unrelated factories and as long as the lot is consistent, it seems they don't care about continuity from one year to the next. For example, I once bought a pair of pants from an online retailer and liked them very much, so I bought an identical pair a few months later and they looked the same with the same pattern and color, but the fabric was drastically different - much more elastic and lighter weight. I was told that one was made to fulfill orders earlier in the season and the other was to respond to the garment's popularity - I got a refund, of course, which seems to be easier than making sure the clothes are uniform in quality. Most US retailer are actually an arm of some bank, it seems to me.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Yes its totally out of control. Most women's cuts are too large. I'm small but I am not bone thin. I keep jeans a long time. I have a closet that ranges from 0-11. Granted the 11s are baggy but they are so much smaller than the new 11s. My old 4s are = to most 0s.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,514 times
Yes, vanity sizing is quite common. I've noticed in women's clothing for years and more recently in men's clothing as well. - I shop for my husband (mostly picking up work clothes at Costco) and have noticed that even men's trousers which are marked by waist/inseam can vary greatly.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
While I greatly dislike the degree by which sizing has changed, it's to be expected. The average person is larger in size, so makers of clothing have to shift their sizes to maintain balance and keep waste to a minimum. All I can be thankful for is that I've yet to see any significant shift in pattern sizing. In patterns, the only thing that has changed are my measurements.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The funny thing is that the more expensive clothes usually are true to size or even small. You'd think these brands would want customers to feel better about themselves even more...

Old 10-11-2011, 12:32 PM

410 posts, read 742,750 times
It has always varied by brand for me. One thing I never understood was why they don't size women's pants the same way they size men's pants.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
While I greatly dislike the degree by which sizing has changed, it's to be expected. The average person is larger in size, so makers of clothing have to shift their sizes to maintain balance and keep waste to a minimum. All I can be thankful for is that I've yet to see any significant shift in pattern sizing. In patterns, the only thing that has changed are my measurements.
My wife's been sewing for years and said that pattern sizes have changed as well. However, just in women's apparel. I'd heard this happening in the numbered sizes for women but hadn't in the world of mens S,M,L, etc. sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty