U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:57 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,199,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The Gap sold Levi's?

I recall the mid 70's thinking the Gap wasn't cool because they DIDN'T sell Levi's...they sold Gap jeans. Which were not nearly as cool as Levis.....
For Levi's you had to go to Miller's Outpost!

The Gap used to have cool commercials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 AM

973 posts, read 1,485,223 times
When I was in Belgrade, Serbia two weeks ago, I saw a sign on a storewindow that The GAP was coming, and I thought to myself: how weird as I knew it no longer had the influence in the US that it once had. But then yesterday, I read on Yahoo News that it was closing many stores here, and going to try the European market! I was like WHAT?? As far as I know, their style of clothes is hardly what Europeans wear; and in BG, no one would be able to afford their clothes at all! I wonder if they did ANY types of studies first.... amazingly dumb, IMHO, at least for the BG store.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:54 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,501,706 times
God, my sister was so obsessed with the Gap in the early 90's she used to save all their bags.

I wonder if she still has them..

Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
For Levi's you had to go to Miller's Outpost!

The Gap used to have cool commercials.
Actually, the Gap originally sold Levi's. It was basically just a Levi's store, plus shirts that went with Levi's. I think it was sometime in the mid to late '80s when they dropped Levi's and started with their own jeans.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:15 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,501,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It was basically just a Levi's store, plus shirts that went with Levi's. .

You mean those blue button up denim shirts..lol

Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM

9,228 posts, read 18,857,713 times
In the 70s it was basically a Levi's store (it first opened in 1969 and sold records too at the first store!) It was cool then, but I was a little kid. But jeans and cords were cool then for both kids and adults. the store near where I grew up was the first location on the East coast.

Then in the 80s it became more preppy. I started working there in high school in the mid-80s and loved it. It was one of the few stores at the time that sold all its own brand of clothes, not clothes from lots of different makers. We phased out the Levi's in the mid 80s at some point. when the store was preppy, there werre some trendy things, but most were classics that would never go out of style. I still have a few sweaters now that I bought back then, and they will never go out of style. The quality was also so good back then, that they aren't faded or pilled too much either. these were basics and classics, foundations pieces to any wardrobe. We used to have to learn the history of the Gap, and it's still swimming around in my brain--founded by Don Fisher--in San Francisco near the Height Ashbury district, catering to hippies. Our president was Micky Drexler, and there was always the chance that he would make a surprise visit in any store and any time.

Then in the 90s I still worked there (in college and a little after college) and we started to get more trendy things in, but still a lot of classics. I have tons of clothes I bought with my employee discount in the 90s that I still wear, and people compliment them and ask where I bought them. The thing I remember being different in the 90s was that we would get in more different styles and items, and they each came in fewer colors (they said in was a "wide and shallow" inventory). Before that it was "narrow and deep" meaning there were fewer items/styles, but they each came in many, many colors.

Then some time after I left the Gap, they became strictly trendy, and catered to a much younger crowd. The sizes became weird too, and I could wear a 4 in something, a 6 in something else, and even a 10 in something else. Also, the quality went down, while the prices seemed to go up.

I think that in this kind of economy, they need to go back to classics & basics or good quality that will last. People just don't want to (or can't) but throw-away clothes these days. Also, the "narrow and deep" thing might be better too. I tend to buy multiple items in different colors once I find something I like that fits well.

Also, back in the day, about 1/2 of what we sold were American made items. So people who only wanted to buy American would find lots of choices. Today I challenge you to find anything in the Gap that's made in the USA.

As a customer, The Gap left me, I never left the Gap.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:59 PM

21,843 posts, read 23,069,424 times
Hmm....I grew up in the 70s and remember stacks of jeans and rugby style shirts (probably mid-late 70s?). Perhaps they were Levi's at that point. Probably didn't go in another Gap until mid 80's when I was looking for a denim jacket but def. wanted a Levi jacket NOT a Gap jacket. Perhaps I'm confusing my eras. Interesting though.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:03 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,234,050 times
I remember when the Gap was cool. It was the year that Eternity was the scent of choice through out my middle school and it still smells that way till this day. We wore our jeans rolled up with heavy white socks scrunched around it in our crisp white keds.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:43 PM

5,136 posts, read 8,658,042 times
Smile You said it so well

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Also, back in the day, about 1/2 of what we sold were American made items. So people who only wanted to buy American would find lots of choices. Today I challenge you to find anything in the Gap that's made in the USA.

As a customer, The Gap left me, I never left the Gap.
Your last sentence says it all. We need to do an "Occupy" on these companies that went overseas with their stuff. The quality has suffered IMO.

We would not have a jobs problem here in the US if we made our own stuff.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM

614 posts, read 1,449,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Neither do we. Perhaps that's why this once great retailer continues to struggle.

The Gap Slashes Stores: What Went Wrong and How They Can Fix It | Daily Ticker - Yahoo! Finance
^^Gap's quality has gone down-hill. It's a more "upscale" Old Navy IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty