U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:56 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,252,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
Ok, so from my understanding...if a person wears a knock-off(fake)because they like a certain brand and couldn't afford the real thing, that automatically makes them a sellout?
You and I probably have different definitions of what a sellout is, but in my opinion, if someone wears fake labels in order to look like something they are not (e.g., able to afford those things), then that person is a poseur. I don't think it's shameful not to have money, and I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing thriftstore vintage or making your own clothes in order to look more well-to-do than you are. (General "you," not YOU you.) I also don't have a problem with expensive, well-made things within reason (which I admit is purely subjective). I would spend a chunk of money on a really good bag if I could afford it. What I will not do is buy a cheap swap meet knockoff. Those are not well made, so I wouldn't have the advantage of knowing it was money well spent, and the company that owns the right to the logo and styling wouldn't make a dime. It's stealing, and I'm not going to encouraging it by buying that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 12:04 PM

3,592 posts, read 7,694,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I refuse to wear logo'ed clothing or carry logo'ed bags. I paid for a piece of clothing, they are not paying me to advertise.

I've felt that way since the 1980's, and people started wearing Gloria Vanderbuilt jeans.
This.

I pay a lot of money for clothing because I like it to fit and fit well. I find that designer clothing generally does a better job. It simply is better. That, to me, indicates something that is "fashionable". I've never been one to follow trends, and not out of disdain for pop culture. I just like what I like, and my mood and fashion sense shift to reflect that So if you're selling something that really is quality, I'll be buying.

That being said, I refuse to wear anything where a logo is visible.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:12 PM

11,023 posts, read 17,510,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
"hunni" just packs bigger punch. It's all about the pizzzazzzz of it
If by packs bigger punch you mean "is more annoying," then I'd have to agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I buy what I like, but yes, sometimes there are specific brands that I find reliable in the sense that I like their style/designs, fit & quality.
Exactly. And I'll proudly carry my Cole-Haan purse while wearing my $9 Clearance shoes from Land's End because I don't care what OP or anybody else thinks of the price of my clothes or how they're matched.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM

8,730 posts, read 7,938,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
"hunni" just packs bigger punch. It's all about the pizzzazzzz of it

If you say so...

Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,366,553 times
I actually admire people who have the talent to shop vintage, and/or make their own clothes, as that is so much more interesting than those who would buy knock-offs of designer goods that support counterfeiting. That said, there are many looks that are similar, as higher-end fashion does tend to set the trend for other manufacturers, or even lines within the same company (Ralph Lauren comes to mind) a season or two after the debut in Paris, Milan, London, New York, Tokyo, etc. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a budget look at all, but buying fakes that can be easily identified as such just rubs me the wrong way.

We once had a receptionist (she moved on to a better job) who was a single mother of two children and finishing a masters degree, who shopped vintage, made what she could not buy, etc. and was very, very thrifty as she had to be on her sole income in an expensive area. The other ladies with whom I worked, including my friend, were always talking about her because she had a look and never wore a fake, but presented herself much better than some of the other women in the office who easily made five to six times as much as she did. And, no, she was not racking up credit card debt as she was always on a cash-only budget as that is what she could afford because she took a voluntary demotion not to have the extra work of an executive assistant so she could go back to school.

Some people will spend proportionally more than others might, based upon living situation, such as the person who lives at home and buys designer goods. As long as they are not fake, and they like them that's what matters, but everyone has their own priorities for spending, and it's not up to me to judge their choices.

Just as an aside about the Blackberry: Many corporate and higher governmental officials have to use them because that's the system that has been bought by their company/agency, and for which security protocols are in place. The person observed on said Blackberry might have to use it for work, so depending upon conversation or email to which one may not be privy, someone may actually be responding to work emails/texts via said device, even if appearing to be in their off time. Again, I really don't care if someone wants an iPhone, Blackberry, etc., since that's what works for them.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,502,687 times
Thanks bmwguy, for making me go back and taking the effort the read the diatribe in the OP.

A blackberry is a cheap iPhone? How did I miss that gem LOL

Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,664,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Thanks bmwguy, for making me go back and taking the effort the read the diatribe in the OP.

Amazing, aint it?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:03 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,366,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Maybe the OP meant that the blackberry (RIMM) stock is a poor mans iPhone (AAPL) stock.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:05 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,664,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Maybe the OP meant that the blackberry (RIMM) stock is a poor mans iPhone (AAPL) stock.
I rather doubt that.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,366,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I rather doubt that.
I was trying to make sense out of the statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or