U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 01:34 PM

4,108 posts, read 4,540,526 times

Advertisements

How many times do you get a fill in before getting a new set? Do gel nails last longer?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 02:39 PM

75 posts, read 90,833 times
Never, they are unsanitary.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 16,769 times
I get acrylic fill ins. I like them more then gel because my nails crack a lot more with the gel fill ins. I get a fill in every 3 weeks and a new set every 6 months or so. The place I go to does an awesome job on acrylic/gel fill ins. I go to Picture Perfect nails in Niles IL.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 PM

3,876 posts, read 4,571,964 times
I just switched back to acrylics from gels. I get right at 2 weeks for the acrylics. The gels would start peeling on some in a week but the ones that didn't peel were a pain the buttocks to remove. I rarely have to soak the acrylics off because every so often one will pop off and that sort of works around so that I don't have to do all them at once.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:51 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
I've gotten them a few times over the years - I'm happy with them when I leave the shop but feel like they start looking bad within a week or so (my nails seem to grow pretty fast) - Plus I've never really found them comfortable...

Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 PM

160 posts, read 271,919 times
I stick with my natural nails, even in the winter when they get brittle and crack. I gave them up when I started spelunking 4 yrs ago, I found they don't do well under extreme sports. Plus they are unsanitary.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
all those visiting those nail salons should really invest in your own nail files,etc; whatever you can purchase that is required and is being used on hundreds of others before you.
Makes my skin crawl just thinking what a hotbed of germs abound in those places.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
all those visiting those nail salons should really invest in your own nail files,etc; whatever you can purchase that is required and is being used on hundreds of others before you.
Makes my skin crawl just thinking what a hotbed of germs abound in those places.
Yeah, that's another reason I quit going to nail shops - I've heard that the pedi-cure tubs are really dirty in most places.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 13,929 times
My salon has an autoclave (I bought 3 for my tattoo shop and ended up using one for certain parts of nail care tools to KEEP THEM SANITARY!) so I know my employees and myself keep a sanitary shop not to mention WE CLEAN THE PLACE! As for nail files the moment any blood or puss from a nail infection/skin infection touched that file we don't ever use it again on another client. It goes in the trash. As for using files on other ppls nails we clean and soak each persons hands n nails in a bowl lined with a special disposable bag. And same goes for the pedicure buckets. ALWAYS LINED AND CLEANED N STERILIZED when done. The nails themselves, if YOU CLEAN N TAKE CARE OF THEM IN BETWEEN SALON VISITS THEY ARE NOT UNSANITARY. CHECK OUT YOUR SALON NEFORE GETTING ANYTHING DONE! Anyway, just know what you're talking abt before you give your opinion. She asked for a fact not an opinion. AS FOR YR FILL: I'd say get 2 to 3 fills then have the nails removed. You can start over w/ new nails OR if they've grown enough underneath w, just get a gel manicure to keep them strong and then you won't have to worry abt tips anymore! =] good luck!!! <3

Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycangel3 View Post
My salon has an autoclave (I bought 3 for my tattoo shop and ended up using one for certain parts of nail care tools to KEEP THEM SANITARY!) so I know my employees and myself keep a sanitary shop not to mention WE CLEAN THE PLACE! As for nail files the moment any blood or puss from a nail infection/skin infection touched that file we don't ever use it again on another client. It goes in the trash. As for using files on other ppls nails we clean and soak each persons hands n nails in a bowl lined with a special disposable bag. And same goes for the pedicure buckets. ALWAYS LINED AND CLEANED N STERILIZED when done. The nails themselves, if YOU CLEAN N TAKE CARE OF THEM IN BETWEEN SALON VISITS THEY ARE NOT UNSANITARY. CHECK OUT YOUR SALON NEFORE GETTING ANYTHING DONE! Anyway, just know what you're talking abt before you give your opinion. She asked for a fact not an opinion. AS FOR YR FILL: I'd say get 2 to 3 fills then have the nails removed. You can start over w/ new nails OR if they've grown enough underneath w, just get a gel manicure to keep them strong and then you won't have to worry abt tips anymore! =] good luck!!! <3
That's great that your shop is so clean - but the truth is, as an industry, there are many shops that aren't clean. And there have also been many cases where salons have used cheaper, dangerous chemicals on clients.

I look at how many nail salons are within a five mile radius of where I live, there is NO way that any sort of gov't agency is visiting all of these places on any consistant basis.

I think the people the are referring to the nails being "unsanitary" - as referring to the fact that water, germs, dirt can get inbetween the real and fake nail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty