U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:02 AM

36,443 posts, read 41,609,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'd rather see that than the commercials with the creepy mannequins saying dumb things.

I have an Old Navy cardigan on right now.
Hah, I have probably a dozen Old Navy cardigans in staple basic colors. Most of them are at least five years old, so I'm not seeing quality issues with them. Quality is hit or miss with Old Navy, but not anymoreso than any other low-to-midrange clothing retail outlet. I've gotten some stuff there that's been junky, no doubt, but also stuff that's held up for years.

I don't see it as fashionable or unfashionable, it's just kind of a neutral basics plasce. I find that it's a place for staples (their smooth knit layering tanks - not ribbed tanks, they lose their shape instantly, their basic knit cardigans, etc.). It's not where I'd go for an amazing outfit, but it's find for cost-effective layering basics, if you know what of theirs holds up, and what doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:40 AM

424 posts, read 659,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
They used to carry actual plus sizes in the store, then went to exclusively online.
Oh, I know. I probably wasn't clear. I had mixed feelings about seeing true plus sizes leave the stores. On one hand, it was an opportunity to try stuff on then and there. But on the other hand, my local store never had much selection and it was always the basic of the basics - jeans, tees, an occasional sweater. Most of the cute, trendy stuff was always online only - dresses, skirts, different types of pants. So it wasn't a huge, huge loss to me when they took it out.

As for quality: I've been shopping at Old Navy since college, so 14 years or so, and the quality has definitely taken a hit. My big issue the last few years has been stuff stretching out and losing shape, mainly shirts and sweaters. I typically wear XXL tops, but I bought a few XL this summer because I knew they would stretch a bit. Same with a couple of sweaters I bought last week.

Oh, great. I just bought a mess of ribbed layering tank tops. LOL

Old 10-27-2011, 10:07 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,173,599 times
I wish it wasn't such a pain to get pants in talls online at ON. Their regular pants come in short, average, and long (34"), and the longs are so-so, but I really prefer the tall (36"). They seem to always sell out right away, or they're not offered in the pants I like. Last year they had a darling corduroy blazer in tall that promptly sold out, and I've been looking forward to buying one this year. No go. They don't even carry it this season.

I agree with TabulaRasa: their quality is hit or miss. Their T-shirts can be hole-happy and too thin, but my husband has a bunch of tees from ON that are of nice heavy cotton. Their thicker sweaters are fine if you follow the washing instructions (do NOT put them in the dryer unless you want them to shrink). Their coats are kind of meh (scratchy wool), but their jeans are OK for the price.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 AM

36,443 posts, read 41,609,703 times
I haven't worn Old Navy as cheap jeans since they changed their styling/cuts a few years back. It used to be a go-to for jeans I didn't mind ruining when working with kids, etc. I don't like their fit, anymore...I haven't found ones where I liked the look, across a few different styles and cuts.

I won't order pants online from anywhere, unless it's ones I already have and know the fit AND know that the sizing is consistent (which doesn't typically apply to Old Navy). Overall, I'm not a big fan of shopping for clothing online. I really do have to try it on to know, and I'm not patient enough to go sending things back and forth. I am not the online merchandiser's dream, in any way.

JustJulia, I've noticed that their men's t-shirts, esp. the ringer tees, are much more durable than their women's ones. SO likes them for yardwork and for his gym bag, and they certainly hold up better than the much thinner women's ones they carry.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,565,936 times
The commercial is stupid. There's nothing wrong with jiggles anyway.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,667,617 times
Needs more big girls. I like the jiggle and wiggle.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:19 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,370,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Needs more big girls. I like the jiggle and wiggle.
^5 woohoooo

I like their (online) store for basics, like at-home yoga pants.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:04 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,667,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
^5 woohoooo

I like their (online) store for basics, like at-home yoga pants.
Plus size beauties in yoga pants = meaning to life and the universe.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,604,778 times
This commercial brought back good memories for me. Yrs ago I bought my 2 grand daughters these little dolls dressed like cheerleaders. You pressed their bellys and they sang a clip of this song in the cutest little girl voice. The 2 yr old & I had a blast dancing to it. Drove their mom Mad! I didnt know it was a "real" song.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,803,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I'm pretty sure Old Navy doesn't have plus sizes in stores. The OP might be referring to the XXL and 18-20 sizes, which are part of their straight sizes. I occasionally see true plus sizes in the clearance section, but I figure those are just online returns.

As for the commercial, I'm in the XXL size range myself, so clearly I jiggle. LOL But I didn't even think to be offended. But I read on another board yesterday that someone and apparently many of their friends have planned to stop shopping at Old Navy over this ad. Umm, OK.
True plus sizes?
Um thats anything 14 or over L.

I haven't seen extreme plus sizes (over 22) but you usually don't find those in any stores unless its geared for that market. The old navy sizes are about 4 sizes large for vanity these days it seems. And they do have the xxl that runs really large. They don't even stay on the hangers easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or