U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 PM

4,751 posts, read 6,489,729 times

Advertisements

Dress the way you like to look.

You will attract more women if you are true to yourself. You will also attract people who like you and like your look. That is the key reason to be true to yourself. There is something very compelling about people who are comfortable in their own skin.

I fell madly in love with a "preppy" guy in my late 20's. I was the total opposite. I thought he looked a bit dorky with his khaki pants and button down shirts, at first. But that is who he is. That is how he likes to dress.

As long as your clothes are clean, fit well and suit the occasion, I think you're fine.

Oh, and if you feel good with your look, that will come across to others, which increases the odds that your confidence will affect how others perceive you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 PM

12,221 posts, read 17,917,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Wear what you want to wear and what's comfortable for you. There are plenty of girls who go for the tidy, slightly preppy look, especially girls who want a guy who want a dependable guy with a good job.

The only thing I'd really change are the shoes...I would go with a more casual pair to go with jeans, something not so shiny.

My husband bought those shoes, but black, for a job interview. He is 38 years old.
Now, it makes we wonder why guys think that girl falls for them because of how they dress. Thats like one of the least important aspects. lol
Money, good job are way more important, right below personality of course.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:16 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,472,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
What waist size do you wear? Is there a reason you can't fit into slimmer jeans like 511's or 514's? or even into more expensive selvedge denim like RRL or Naked & Famous? The boot cut on those 527's make them look hella baggy. That's the simple truth. It's a dated look when kids used to sag.

anyway, loafers are making a comeback, but you still only find them on trendy hs/college kids or fat middle-aged managers who've been wearing the same Johnston & Murphy's from 1995. You could also do the prep look with Top-Siders, but only in warm weather locales since it would look out of place in the freezing cold of say Detroit or NYC.

Or try to get some suede chukka's. Clarks & Red Wing are popular but everyone does it now. And if you really want to be full-on hipster preppy, go for pebble-grained gunboat longwings.
You seem knowledgeable, but very stereotyping/categorical, and more into the trendy stuff than I care to be.

The Levi's 527s fit me well. I'm a 30" waist. The bootcut does have a bit of a flair, but the jeans are not at all baggy. In fact, I'd like to find nicer jeans but my problem has been that the jeans I try have been either too baggy or just too tight. I'd be happiest with jeans that fit slim in the waist, hip and seat like the 527s, but even a little less slim than the 527s fit in the leg.

That said, when talking about top siders and boat shoes, I was thinking about getting these (if I can find them, they're a bit more unique) to wear with shorts next summer:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZQXmUvgXfK...ry_bass_20.jpg

Last edited by MOKAN; 10-27-2011 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
Dress the way you like to look.

You will attract more women if you are true to yourself. You will also attract people who like you and like your look. That is the key reason to be true to yourself. There is something very compelling about people who are comfortable in their own skin.
I couldn't agree with you more. With spiritual health, everything else just flows.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:44 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,811,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sounds good to me. As long as he folds the towels, I don't care how he does it.

I know right!!

OP....I say no go on the penny loafers. They make me think of little boys and people who are too lazy for laces. Plus with winter coming...those don't bode well in snow and rain. They can look awkward on shorter people too because the sock peeking out cuts the visual line of the leg making you appear shorter.
I would go with the chuckas, casual floorshines or casual oxfords.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 AM

27 posts, read 56,789 times
Variety in styles leaves you more margin for error too...and it's fun.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:44 AM

837 posts, read 2,576,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
You seem knowledgeable, but very stereotyping/categorical, and more into the trendy stuff than I care to be.

The Levi's 527s fit me well. I'm a 30" waist. The bootcut does have a bit of a flair, but the jeans are not at all baggy. In fact, I'd like to find nicer jeans but my problem has been that the jeans I try have been either too baggy or just too tight. I'd be happiest with jeans that fit slim in the waist, hip and seat like the 527s, but even a little less slim than the 527s fit in the leg.

That said, when talking about top siders and boat shoes, I was thinking about getting these (if I can find them, they're a bit more unique) to wear with shorts next summer:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZQXmUvgXfK...ry_bass_20.jpg
No man interested in women is so worried by the way he looks as you, maybe is time for come out of the closet.

I remain thinking you have the "Alan Harper" style of dress, draw you own conclusions.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,669,438 times
It depends on who you hang out with and where you live. Most young people wouldn't like it, though. They're young, what do you expect? Most of us are dumb and shallow, anyway. That's why I date older women, who actually appreciate my sense of style

Old 10-27-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
No man interested in women is so worried by the way he looks as you, maybe is time for come out of the closet.

I remain thinking you have the "Alan Harper" style of dress, draw you own conclusions.
The character Alan's look is pretty dorky, but it also matches his personality, so be it. My style of dress is not the same. A better stereotype of how I dress would be college student, private school kid, city dweller, or somebody who holds a professional job. By the way, I seem to see a lot of gays wearing American Eagle, Abercrombie, etc., which is what you suggested wearing in an earlier post. How do you dress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

I know right!!

OP....I say no go on the penny loafers. They make me think of little boys and people who are too lazy for laces. Plus with winter coming...those don't bode well in snow and rain. They can look awkward on shorter people too because the sock peeking out cuts the visual line of the leg making you appear shorter.
I would go with the chuckas, casual floorshines or casual oxfords.
That's why in the post you read I said I was thinking about them for next summer for wearing with shorts. You don't wear socks when wearing loafers with shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My husband bought those shoes, but black, for a job interview. He is 38 years old.
Now, it makes we wonder why guys think that girl falls for them because of how they dress. Thats like one of the least important aspects. lol
Money, good job are way more important, right below personality of course.
Was your husband wearing a suit? Because slip-on shoes don't go with a suit. I would think most 38 year olds would have dress shoes on hand, if not for work then for weddings, funerals, etc.

Last edited by MOKAN; 10-27-2011 at 02:55 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 02:55 PM

22,443 posts, read 23,999,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Real women don't care about men's shoes as long as they're clean, neat and don't have holes in them.

And as long as you don't wear running shoes with every single outfit you own.

Wear what you like, and what's comfortable for you. I guarantee you that if a woman finds you interesting, a simple pair of shoes aren't going to send her running for the exits.

And if they do, she's a shallow airhead and you're better off without her.
I'll agree with you about shoes, but I do judge on socks, though. White socks are not appropriate for all occasions, fellas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty