Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 PM

27 posts, read 62,561 times

Advertisements

"If you wear baseball caps, jeans and sneakers and you don't live in the ghetto in DC, no one will take you seriously."

That's not necessarily true. Not every neighborhood is filled with the spawn of administrations. Upper Northwest is full of neighborhoods of multi-generational, upper-middle class, DC families who dress casually (and even rebelliously) in perfect harmony with the accepted diversity within the community. I swear it. I lived it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 06:42 PM

41,729 posts, read 74,665,297 times
Real women don't care about men's shoes as long as they're clean, neat and don't have holes in them.

And as long as you don't wear running shoes with every single outfit you own.

Wear what you like, and what's comfortable for you. I guarantee you that if a woman finds you interesting, a simple pair of shoes aren't going to send her running for the exits.

And if they do, she's a shallow airhead and you're better off without her.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,725,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Real women don't care about men's shoes as long as they're clean, neat and don't have holes in them.

I guarantee you that if a woman finds you interesting, a simple pair of shoes aren't going to send her running for the exits.
A man who wears dress shoes all the time and with jeans just comes across as being really uptight. He looks like the kind of guy who's going to want you to alphabetize the pantry and fold the towels in perfect thirds.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,594,497 times
sorry but you're not going to get the betty's dressed like that. If you're going for that clean-cut preppy style you need to wear modern slim-fitting 511 513 or 514 Levi's, not those old-fashioned baggy bootcut jeans from the 90's. And if by Polo's you mean those stupid big pony logo shirts, that's just tasteless. Get Vineyard Vines or Jack Wills. Lastly, those Ecco shoes are fugly. Buy a pair of Alden Indy's or Grenson's Sharp boot. This is the kind of style that make's you look like husband-to-be material (if that's what you want).

If you're just looking to hookup with hotties, try dressing streetwear like stuff you'd find at Diesel or G-Star or SuperDry lol

Old 10-26-2011, 07:43 PM

314 posts, read 814,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I'm more concerned with folks who have no concern for how they look.
Well that could be true, but you come off as liking the other sex with how much you know about fashion...

Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,924,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
sorry but you're not going to get the betty's dressed like that. If you're going for that clean-cut preppy style you need to wear modern slim-fitting 511 513 or 514 Levi's, not those old-fashioned baggy bootcut jeans from the 90's. And if by Polo's you mean those stupid big pony logo shirts, that's just tasteless. Get Vineyard Vines or Jack Wills. Lastly, those Ecco shoes are fugly. Buy a pair of Alden Indy's or Grenson's Sharp boot. This is the kind of style that make's you look like husband-to-be material (if that's what you want).

If you're just looking to hookup with hotties, try dressing streetwear like stuff you'd find at Diesel or G-Star or SuperDry lol
527s are not at all baggy. In fact, they are slim fit. I wouldn't wear baggy jeans.

Polos in general are favored shirts, but the only branded shirts I wear are those with the little Ralph Lauren Polo pony as in "there's a man riding a horse on top of my chest".

I'm staying away from the trendy stuff like Diesel, although they're a cool brand for what they are.

I have no problem checking into the other brands you mentioned.

What do you think of penny loafers?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,131,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
A man who wears dress shoes all the time and with jeans just comes across as being really uptight. He looks like the kind of guy who's going to want you to alphabetize the pantry and fold the towels in perfect thirds.
Yeah. And the positive to this, for some, is that there will be shared responsibilities. They can divvy up the pantry and towels.

I'll take the pantry...

Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,594,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
527s are not at all baggy. In fact, they are slim fit. I wouldn't wear baggy jeans.

Polos in general are favored shirts, but the only branded shirts I wear are those with the little Ralph Lauren Polo pony as in "there's a man riding a horse on top of my chest".

I'm staying away from the trendy stuff like Diesel, although they're a cool brand for what they are.

I have no problem checking into the other brands you mentioned.

What do you think of penny loafers?
What waist size do you wear? Is there a reason you can't fit into slimmer jeans like 511's or 514's? or even into more expensive selvedge denim like RRL or Naked & Famous? The boot cut on those 527's make them look hella baggy. That's the simple truth. It's a dated look when kids used to sag.

anyway, loafers are making a comeback, but you still only find them on trendy hs/college kids or fat middle-aged managers who've been wearing the same Johnston & Murphy's from 1995. You could also do the prep look with Top-Siders, but only in warm weather locales since it would look out of place in the freezing cold of say Detroit or NYC.

Or try to get some suede chukka's. Clarks & Red Wing are popular but everyone does it now. And if you really want to be full-on hipster preppy, go for pebble-grained gunboat longwings.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,565,163 times
They're ugly but I wouldn't call them intimidating.

When I saw all the comments mentioning AE I assumed it was a reference to Allen-Edmonds, but now I think I may be wrong.

Want to learn how to dress? Start going to ASK ANDY ABOUT CLOTHES.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 PM

41,729 posts, read 74,665,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Sounds good to me. As long as he folds the towels, I don't care how he does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty