Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 12:52 PM

576 posts, read 823,781 times

Advertisements

When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 12:56 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,163 times
If they aren't romantically involved they are probably afraid it will be taken (or twisted) the wrong way.

Those sexual harassment classes....

Old 03-24-2015, 12:58 PM

251 posts, read 246,254 times
Yes, I think men would not be too keen to compliment a woman on her appearance in the workplace for fear of being slapped with some harassment suit or being labeled as a creeper.

As for compliments outside the workplace, what ever happened to simply being gracious and replying "why thank you!" without anyone reading any more into it?

I feel bad for men (and women) in this regard of late, we just can't say anything right anymore without fear of reprisal. So many double standards.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.
Thank your feminist friends for that. The same bunch who made opening the door for you a punishable crime.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
If they aren't romantically involved they are probably afraid it will be taken (or twisted) the wrong way.

Those sexual harassment classes....
This!!

Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,404 times
Everyone likes a compliment now and then. Even us men. But in agreement with Themanwithnoname, we have to be careful not only about compliments but even about what area or if we gaze for too many seconds. Sure I understand that there are some oversexed (whatever that means) guys on the street or on the job who lack self control, but its all getting kinda pathetic when our two genders don't seem to be allowed anymore, to appreciate the beauty of the other without being accused of perversion or indecent behavior.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Too many men have given compliments with the sole reason of hoping to get the woman in bed for the night, often it is some lame, shallow, and pathetic attempt at a compliment. As we saw on the "why do you not smile more" thread, many men look for any idiotic reason to compliment a woman or ask the equally idiotic "why do you not smile", in hopes of it going all the way to the bed. This is not being "nice", as when challenged about it, they do not compliment guys, just girls, so it seems their "niceness" only applies towards those who the guy will sleep with.

On the flip side, some women have the attitude that if so much a word is spoken from a guy, that means he is flirting with her. I have personally witnessed/experienced some of the most ridiculous reactions from women towards men, ridiculous meaning unwarranted. Example; guy and girl are coworkers, they (there was four other people there as well) are talking among the group about the guy going on vacation, and they discuss a few things as she visited the same place a year earlier. After he leaves, she starts ranting to everyone about how she thinks he likes her, and now what she going to do because she is not into him, blah blah blah.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:46 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.
You kind of answered your own question there. You're talking about a workplace situation. Sure, if you've got work friends they may notice if you got your hair cut or are wearing new boots, but it's not really appropriate to expect to be showered with compliments while you're there to do a job. There's too many opportunities for misunderstandings or crossing the line.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:49 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
Were afraid of being fired.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:53 PM

576 posts, read 823,781 times
Even outside work I notice guys rarely compliment women unless its much older man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty