Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

My daughter has had a signature scent since she was 14 (she is now 24) and it was discontinued in 2005. I was able to buy a ton of them when they went on clearance from an online perfume distributer. When she ran out of those I went looking again and ended up paying $60 each for what must be the last two bottles in the free world. I will be giving her the last one this Christmas . Fortunately she has found another perfume that she likes that is readily available. She avoided wearing it in college because it was popular there but now it's not so hot, and her current bf said he had never smelled it before (important! Haha)) She will probably make the last bottle of "her" scent last for a couple of years by using it for special occasions only, and by then any that are left will probably have gone bad anyway.

I've been wearing Lauren off and on since the 80's. It's not in stores very often now but it's still online. Even though I have many fragrances it's MY signature scent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 03:55 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've been wearing Lauren off and on since the 80's. It's not in stores very often now but it's still online. Even though I have many fragrances it's MY signature scent.
Me too! I know Bon Ton carries it but they usually have on hand about 5 bottles its sold out fast. I never really cared for the other Lauren scents.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:18 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
Beside the "Lauren" I like the Esteban brand scents of their perfumes.

Then another favorite was "Ritz" by Charles of the Ritz, auction prices on ebay will go very high, last year I seen a large bottle went for $400

Of course I liked Avon's "Hawaiian White Ginger" naturally they quit making that.

Jovan's Fresh Patchouli is another one that will go high on ebay.

Ladies if you are looking for this and are bidding up to 60.00 for it you may as well buy Estebans Patchouli perfume, its $99.00 no free shipping you need $100 order, for free ship, of course you will be off by a dollar , its the perfume and will last longer, of course you may never see it on ebay and that's why, well maybe during the holidays but I'd bet it goes for over the $99 on ebay.

I found this by going to the Fragrance court (a name something like that) and ordering the samples of 5 brands of this type of fragrance, some of the samples if I can think of the names right are Keiko, Noir (something) Etro (something) but the Esteban brand was the best as to smell like or better than Jovan's.

They have some Chypre ( could have spelled that wrong) scents there also, I used to wear a Coty Chypre years ago but I have not tried their brand of this one, I got away from the Chypre scent years ago.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
For the last 50 years, at least, the only after shave I have used is Old Spice. I have no earthly idea why so many women really like the scent, but I certainly am glad that they do.
Could be it reminds them of "Daddy"?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Mine is eau d'Hadrien, from Annick Goutal. It's a fresh crisp citrusy woodsy scent. I use it only for special occasions or to pick me up when I'm feeling the winter blues.

Other than that, I make my own.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllex View Post
No way! Givenchy Organza Indecence is my winter signature scent too! When I heard that it was about to be discontinued, I stocked up...now I have a couple of minis and two 3.4 oz bottles that will hopefully last me a lifetime. Hmm, maybe I should've hoarded some more and sold on ebay.

Actually, the new Indecence was in fact released, as you can see here. However, it was released in the Organza bottle instead of the Indecence bottle and it seems that the juice has changed.

But, to answer your original question, I have a hard time being a perfume monogamist and rotate on an almost daily basis. That way my heart doesn't get broken if gets discontinued, heh. During other times of the year, I'd say Stella by Stella McCartney is my signature scent. Right now there are a few other discontinued perfumes that I'd pay an arm and a leg for, but they're not even available on ebay!
WOW! Another one who loves it so.... may I ask you why? AND another WOW as what a coup to have two 3.4 oz bottles as that should last you a longggg time! Good job! I went to the site that you suggested and yes, the "juice" has been changed a bit. But I will try the new one, and maybe if I spray once with that one and once with the old one, it will be the same! However, after reading the comments, I felt that two were true for me as well: one, that both men and women made positive comments about it and two, it also lasted all day for me. I guess, though, I was wrong in that I used it for two decades as it only came out in '99, but I guess that is exactly when I began using it. I had a student whose mother thanked me profusely for helping her son, and in doing so, she gave me a basket of various sample perfumes as she sold them at parties, and as soon as I sprayed the Indecence on me, I KNEW that was the one! I just wish though, I that I wasn't a perfume monogamist (love that term!) like I am, and really need to do something about it!

Thanks for commenting!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My daughter has had a signature scent since she was 14 (she is now 24) and it was discontinued in 2005. I was able to buy a ton of them when they went on clearance from an online perfume distributer. When she ran out of those I went looking again and ended up paying $60 each for what must be the last two bottles in the free world. I will be giving her the last one this Christmas . Fortunately she has found another perfume that she likes that is readily available. She avoided wearing it in college because it was popular there but now it's not so hot, and her current bf said he had never smelled it before (important! Haha)) She will probably make the last bottle of "her" scent last for a couple of years by using it for special occasions only, and by then any that are left will probably have gone bad anyway.

What was your daughter's perfume? AND what a good mom to buy the last two bottles in the "free world"! I am sure she will relish this Christmas!!

And glad to read that both your daughter and you have "signature scents" and that I am not alone in this thinking...

Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have worn Chantilly since 1962. At times it was hard to find. I also wear Obsession and Jaipur. If I don't rotate, I can't smell it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Is Chantilly still around?? I think I began using it in 64...

Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I'm not a monogamist either.
I change up for different seasons, but I went to one of those sites that tells you the different notes for perfumes and discovered that I am a 'spice girl', nearly everything I like has cinnamon notes. Maybe I could just go to the kitchen and raid my spice drawer, it sure would be cheaper, lol.

I do have a favorite though. I love KL for women, in part because it was my first real scent as a young woman, after I gave up the baby powder scents I wore as a teen. I have some very, very nice memories associated with it.
Too bad it disappeared from store shelves ages ago. Last time I found it was in an airport gift shop of all places. Now I only see it online and I am reluctant to buy it because I am afraid they may have changed the scent.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
First off, I am wondering how many of you have been loyal to one perfume as you discovered that it was totally "you", or do you have several depending upon your mood, time of day, occasion or whatever. I have found one that IS totally me and it (Indecence by Givenchy) has made me feel good about myself for 2 decades.

However, it has been discontinued now for over two years, and it is harder to get on ebay. I think this will be my last "buy" for two reasons: 1. the price (I just now paid $149.00 for 1.7 oz which will last almost a year) and 2. I know the original scent of perfume doesn't last forever!

I always have been loyal to one brand, as in high school and college, my scent was Chantilly, and then I went into a Tabu and Vanilla Musk phase and have adjusted each time. But this time, the scent is different as I feel like it completes my personality, and I feel so GOOD wearing it!

Has anyone else felt this this before? And how much have you paid to feel this way?? Just curious...
I go back and forth between Adidas Moves For Her, Exclamation, and right now, Dream Angels Heavenly Angel Mist depending on what I want to wear I guess. I used to just wear body spray and sometimes I still do. I used to think perfume was too expensive to buy until I realized how long it actually lasts me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty