Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

I think most men try to match the color of their shoes, belt, and wristwatch (if it's leather), because that seems like the most simple way to do things.

But I've seen women wearing colors that some men wouldn't consider. But they look good. Like a brown belt with black shoes.

What do you think are the "rules" regarding the matching (or mixing) of leather accessories?

Or are there really any rules to begin with?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 06:52 PM

One thing I saw once that didn't look good was a guy who wore these light brown cowboy boots on occasion. He was really proud of them, you could tell. But he always wore them with a black leather belt. I felt like, dude, the boots are cool but look at your belt.

What kind of belt should he have worn?

How do you decide these things?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
If the engineers I work with dictate the proper combination of clothing and accessories it is

Black pants with brown shoes and white socks and a black belt. (black pants and brown shoes, brown shoes with black belt)

Other days it is cream or off white pants with white shoes and a white or white base shirt. (off white and white)

Old 11-22-2011, 07:06 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I think most men try to match the color of their shoes, belt, and wristwatch (if it's leather), because that seems like the most simple way to do things.

But I've seen women wearing colors that some men wouldn't consider. But they look good. Like a brown belt with black shoes.

What do you think are the "rules" regarding the matching (or mixing) of leather accessories?

Or are there really any rules to begin with?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this subject.

IMO; there is more flexibility with women's attire/mix-matching than a man. Women have so many colors, accessories, styles and fun things to "play" with vs. a man.

As you said, keep it simple and match the belt/shoes. At the end of the day, it's your call (do as you see fit/comfy with).

Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
IMO; there is more flexibility with women's attire/mix-matching than a man. Women have so many colors, accessories, styles and fun things to "play" with vs. a man.

As you said, keep it simple and match the belt/shoes. At the end of the day, it's your call (do as you see fit/comfy with).
Well, I will simplify it a little and narrow it down to black and brown (various shades. (But if you want to describe more colors for women, feel free to discuss that also.)

What about the guy with the boots? Would a light brown belt exactly matching the boots have looked good? Or perhaps a darker brown? This is where I am confused.

And what about wristwatches.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If the engineers I work with dictate the proper combination of clothing and accessories it is

Black pants with brown shoes and white socks and a black belt. (black pants and brown shoes, brown shoes with black belt)

Other days it is cream or off white pants with white shoes and a white or white base shirt. (off white and white)
Sounds lovely.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Let me put it this way. I recently heard that it's bad to mix various shades of green. I used to wear olive green pants with a dark green shirt. At the time, I thought it was a clever and probably handsome look. Boy was I wrong.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:14 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Sounds like you're confusing the past with the present again. Guys haven't dressed like that since the 60s, even engineers.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:17 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
One thing I saw once that didn't look good was a guy who wore these light brown cowboy boots on occasion. He was really proud of them, you could tell. But he always wore them with a black leather belt. I felt like, dude, the boots are cool but look at your belt.

What kind of belt should he have worn?

How do you decide these things?
Was his shirt blk? I can see that combo working; blk top, blk belt, tan/brownish pants or jeans w/light brown boots.

You know everyone has their own interpretation of what "works" for them. Many dress to suit their personal style, within their financial means and don't really care what others think (generally speaking not directed at you per se).

Old 11-22-2011, 07:21 PM

No, I can see a black shirt working. But he was wearing cream boots, khakis, black belt, light blue shirt. Something along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty