Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 AM

410 posts, read 742,966 times

Advertisements

The thing that I hate the most about dresses is that a lot of shorter dresses (above the knee) are usually way too short. I like to dress up and look cute, but I am just not that comfortable showing all that leg. It would be nice if dresses were offered in different lengths like pants are.

The thing that I love the most is a dress made from comfortable and soft fabrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 AM

410 posts, read 742,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
I'd love more work appropriate dresses and more long sleeve options on in the winter. I also prefer the sturdier natural materials to the thin stuff out there lately.
I agree about the sturdier materials. I'm pretty thin, but I still have areas that I don't want to draw attention to, and thinner materials just don't camouflage well.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
For those of you who like retro / vintage styles / clothes that flatter a woman's curves - check out:

Vintage Dresses | Pinup Girl Clothing

I have one dress from this place and it is very good quality and fits like a dream.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:24 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
I might be short, but that's not what I want in a dress. The "dresses" I see are more like "shirts". I'm not sure why some designers think the two could be synonymous, but it doesn't work. I'm all for dresses, as long as the fit and length are flattering.

An over-sized "sweater" is just that: not a dress:

Alexander Wang - Merino Wool Dress - Saks.com

This is for "bedtime". It should never leave the house:

10 Crosby Derek Lam - Silk Tunic Dress - Saks.com

I don't know what these are:

Maybe for a Monastery?....

Jil Sander - Hyssop Rollneck Dress - Saks.com

Jil Sander - Heartleaf Dress - Saks.com

These, I like:

Teri Jon - Lace and Silk Gown - Saks.com

Sue Wong - Embroidered Empire Gown - Saks.com

For less formal occasions:

Dior - Tweed Jersey Dress - Saks.com

Robert Rodriguez - Twist-Front Knit Dress - Saks.com

I might wear these to work:
David Meister - Buckle-Front Knit Jersey Dress - Saks.com

Michael Kors - Stretch Jersey Dress - Saks.com

Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
clothes that flatter a woman's curves
Curves? What are they?

Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
I hate that most dresses out there are mini length or maxi length....it would be nice to find some mid length dresses (at the knee...and I'm 5'8, so that's below the knee for average height women) that are still young & stylish. Occasionally I find pencil skirts that are a good length, but so many dresses & skirts are cut thigh high. It's just not appropriate to wear those to work or church; they're pretty much only good for clubs or casual outings, which is not what I need most of my clothes for. The maxi dresses are a nice option, but always wearing something THAT long gets old also.

When I do find mid length dresses, they tend to be boring & plain. All the fun prints, interesting silhouettes & unique details seem used for the mini dresses. I don't know why this is....I can't be the only woman who'd like to wear a dress to work or church that is not dull & matronly....

I also have the issue with the waists being cut too big; if it fits the hips/bust, then the waist is baggy on me & I look shapeless. I love the few vintage dresses I have, as they cut the waists smaller (probably because women wore girdles back then & less people were overweight). Also, I have small boobs & STILL many dresses are cut too low & show cleavage. Where do they think women are wearing these dresses? Again, outside of a club or evening setting, these are not appropriate for many everyday situations & layering with camisoles gets repetitive & boring...

What I love about dresses is they are sooooo comfortable. The material just floats around you. They are waaaay easier to find a flattering fit with than pants, as they are more adaptable to a variety of body shapes.

The only other con is a full skirt on a windy day; I've had my Marilyn Monroe moments where I'm trying to keep my skirt from flying over my head. Getting out of a car in a short dress/skirt is a negative also....

Last edited by orangeapple; 12-03-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I might be short, but that's not what I want in a dress. The "dresses" I see are more like "shirts". I'm not sure why some designers think the two could be synonymous, but it doesn't work. I'm all for dresses, as long as the fit and length are flattering.

An over-sized "sweater" is just that: not a dress:

Alexander Wang - Merino Wool Dress - Saks.com

This is for "bedtime". It should never leave the house:

10 Crosby Derek Lam - Silk Tunic Dress - Saks.com

I don't know what these are:

Maybe for a Monastery?....

Jil Sander - Hyssop Rollneck Dress - Saks.com

Jil Sander - Heartleaf Dress - Saks.com

These, I like:

Teri Jon - Lace and Silk Gown - Saks.com

Sue Wong - Embroidered Empire Gown - Saks.com

For less formal occasions:

Dior - Tweed Jersey Dress - Saks.com

Robert Rodriguez - Twist-Front Knit Dress - Saks.com

I might wear these to work:
David Meister - Buckle-Front Knit Jersey Dress - Saks.com

Michael Kors - Stretch Jersey Dress - Saks.com
Sake is too rich for my blood, but I love how their clothes are modeled on the website, so you can see how they look from all angle and when the wearer is moving. How many red-carpet events have you seen where an actress looks stunning in a dress while she is standing still, but she can't walk in it?

That first sweater dress was already terribly short, but the peekaboo hem ... wow. What, you don't want to show the world your lady bits? Shocking.

Those Jil Sander dresses are inexplicable. Shapeless and unflattering.

I like the dresses you posted, particularly the last one. It's so chic. A small-busted woman with toned shoulders and upper arms would look fantastic in that. I don't think I will ever be that woman, but the dress is very pretty.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:02 PM

499 posts, read 891,811 times
hate this kind of jackets:

love chains and belts on everything:

Old 12-06-2011, 12:15 AM

24 posts, read 40,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
One of the hard things about dresses is the fit. Since it's a whole-body garment, it can be frustratring when the dress's waist isn't at your waist, the sleeves are too short and the skirt is too long, or in order for you to get it to fit around the bust it needs to be taken in everywhere else. That sort of thing.
i do agree with you , i also have such problems .

Old 12-06-2011, 07:09 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,635 times
I love this dress from Talbots (thanks Julia for posting the link)but it's a little too low cut for work and I am not sure how I would be able to make it work.

Talbots - Luxe flannel pleated dress | Dresses | Apparel Discover your new look at Talbots. Shop our Luxe flannel pleated dress for stylish clothing and accessories with a modern twist at Talbots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty