U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,689,884 times

Advertisements

If it's a trend, it doesn't mean it's how it should be. The new hip hop is not really hip hop, trend or not, that's not how the pioneers created it to be. It's almost all fake and commercialized. Baggy clothes ARE out of date, they are more like late 90s-early 2000s style, but that's the thing-they represent the era of real hip hop. Some things influence me, some don't. I am an individual, and that's how everyone should be, making their own choices instead of following the herd of trends in this case. I don't wanna get off topic though, it's a whole different discussion.

"I don't invest much interest in the "psychology" of clothes, to a certain extent I do but not so much that I let my "identity" come into question when I wear an article of clothing. It's just clothes!"

I agree, but my clothes reflect my identity to a certain extent, and usually people meet you and start judging you by your clothes so the psychology is quite deep.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 PM

2,208 posts, read 3,501,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
If it's a trend, it doesn't mean it's how it should be. The new hip hop is not really hip hop, trend or not, that's not how the pioneers created it to be. It's almost all fake and commercialized. Baggy clothes ARE out of date, they are more like late 90s-early 2000s style, but that's the thing-they represent the era of real hip hop. Some things influence me, some don't. I am an individual, and that's how everyone should be, making their own choices instead of following the herd of trends in this case. I don't wanna get off topic though, it's a whole different discussion.
My point was that "individualism through clothes" can only go so far, if you're living in a society, you will be influence by it to whatever degree even its anthesis form.

Does it bother you that much to change your style?

Quote:
Quote:
"I don't invest much interest in the "psychology" of clothes, to a certain extent I do but not so much that I let my "identity" come into question when I wear an article of clothing. It's just clothes!"
I agree, but my clothes reflect my identity to a certain extent, and usually people meet you and start judging you by your clothes so the psychology is quite deep.
I'm not sure I want to engage any further. I think you know the answer to your inquiry already, you just don't want to believe it, you've even stated some preconceived notions of it in your OP. Yes, there are some connotations to certain types of clothing, and yes, there will be preconceived notions, that's the nature of it; what are you going to do?

Quote:
... So basically, can one wear urban clothing and not be perceived as a wigger or a gang banger? ( I am Russian in NJ)
Yes, one can wear urban clothing and not be perceived as a wigger or a gang banger.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Personally, I have a little internal laugh when I see people dressed in a 'hip hop' fashion. I think it just looks ridiculous and it's very hard for me to take them seriously. I think nicely fitted jeans (not baggy, not tight) and a nice button up shirt, clean t shirt (no huge logos...I hate logos) and clean shoes (vans and converse are my favs ) look the best.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 AM

410 posts, read 623,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
while i understand you may believe that you chose your hip hop fashion purely for your own interests without regard for other people's opinions, i dont think thats the case. besides comfort, we are dressing to impact other people's opinions of us. im someone that isnt overly concerned with other people's opinions of my clothing, but it is important people dont think im some kind of bum. not only do i take issue with your gangsta wardrobe, but i take issue with your use of the word "cuz." when people talk like idiots by saying "aks" instead of "ask," use profanities, use double negatives, etc. i am immediately filing them into a category and its not a good one. you are 25 now, so you may as well act like it.
Agreed.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,274,846 times
Quote:
I am 25 and I been dressing like this for many yrs, but now it feels that this might represent me in a wrong way and maybe I should wear something else, since I am not a gangsta. I am just into Hip Hop music. It seems like people get the wrong impression a lot when I wear my timbs, baggy jeans and all that. I am not about blending in, but at the same time I am an adult now and many people keep telling me to wear more mature clothes, saying that I am all good and mature once you get to know me, but at the first impression I look foolish cuz of the clothes. So basically, can one wear urban clothing and not be perceived as a wigger or a gang banger? ( I am Russian in NJ)
Wear what you're comfortable wearing. Never change your style solely because someone else thinks that it's wrong. Trust me, trying to put yourself into something you're not comfortable with won't work and it'll make things worse. You'll be out of your element and it'll show, so only change your style if you want to (or if you have a job interview).

Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,145,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Fashion is a part of music. Nothing wrong with grabbing fashion inspiration from anywhere. Be it music, tv, friends, family members, internal etc. Its a creative process that should reflect how you feel inside and the type of person you want to convey to the world. Your clothing should make you feel confident and comfortable. Currently the OP is getting that itch that it may be time for change and I do believe it is if you would look at the age and society standards of a timeline that is reasonable to be put together a bit more.
Definitely agree about fashion being a part of music. I get a lot of fashion inspirations from Visual Kei bands, for instance. If the OP's clothes fit his feelings, then by all means, wear the clothes. I personally find "Urban" clothes to be silly, but I'm pretty sure people here would be like at Visual Kei fashions.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 AM

2,665 posts, read 4,689,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Wear what you're comfortable wearing. Never change your style solely because someone else thinks that it's wrong. Trust me, trying to put yourself into something you're not comfortable with won't work and it'll make things worse. You'll be out of your element and it'll show, so only change your style if you want to (or if you have a job interview).
great point

Old 12-09-2011, 12:10 PM

22,674 posts, read 28,559,598 times
Quote:
great point
its not a good point at all. if people see you wearing "urban" clothing, they are going to think you have no brain. so if thats all you are comfortable wearing, then you will have to get used to not being respected by anyone that you meet. when people grow up, they change certain things about their appearance that are more appropriate for someone of their age/responsibility. the type of clothing you wear should have been burned when you finished high school. im not sure how someone going through college could dress like that.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,945,118 times
Quote:
I am 25 and I been dressing like this for many yrs, but now it feels that this might represent me in a wrong way and maybe I should wear something else, since I am not a gangsta. I am just into Hip Hop music. It seems like people get the wrong impression a lot when I wear my timbs, baggy jeans and all that. I am not about blending in, but at the same time I am an adult now and many people keep telling me to wear more mature clothes, saying that I am all good and mature once you get to know me, but at the first impression I look foolish cuz of the clothes. So basically, can one wear urban clothing and not be perceived as a wigger or a gang banger? ( I am Russian in NJ)
Yeah, Baggy clothes seem to be going out of style by the month. It's funny because it seems like ALL people who wear baggy clothes now are tagged as a "gangbanger".

Not saying that this never happened before because it certainly did, but because skinny jeans are the new fad and more people are beginning to wear more fitted jeans, It just seems like people wearing super XL baggy clothes are automatically given that title unlike maybe a few years ago when someone wearing baggy clothes might gotten some leeway because it was popular.

Anyways, there are way you can still dress urban but not look like a "gangbanger"

for example

Wale Hops On “Make It Rain” theJASMINE.BRAND

News : Jim Jones Is Participating in “I Will Graduate” Day | | CapolifeCapolife

Fresh, Fly, & Flashy

Lupe Fiasco - 2009 Joyful Heart Foundation Gala - Arrivals

ect, ect.

mas23

Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 PM

2,117 posts, read 4,562,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
He's obviously not comfortable with what he's wearing otherwise he wouldn't be asking these questions..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty