Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,113,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
True. I feel like I am disabled or a racial minority or something cuz I gotta work harder to prove myself just in routine situations, since people's perceptions are-I must be ignorant, up to no good, uneducated white trash. You can really tell when people judge by the looks and would treat you otherwise had you been only dressed different. Sometimes it's too obvious, just by the way they stare at you if you are in an upscale restaurant, for example. I don't care about other customers staring and me getting looked down upon, I am used to it, but staff often does the same thing, and it negatively affected my service a few times.
Why since YOU force that perception upon others?

It's not as if you were born with a malformed leg or something which you cannot change and was not a choice.

People do not 'know who you are'... they are FORCED to judge based off the immage YOU present to them.

It is YOUR choice.

I'm sure you don't think the grizzled guy who's bodystink is matched by the smell of spoiled beer and unwashed clothing should justifiably feel the same as you...

But in both (And perhaps more in your case) it was what you CHOSE to show others.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,628,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Why since YOU force that perception upon others?

It's not as if you were born with a malformed leg or something which you cannot change and was not a choice.

People do not 'know who you are'... they are FORCED to judge based off the immage YOU present to them.

It is YOUR choice.

I'm sure you don't think the grizzled guy who's bodystink is matched by the smell of spoiled beer and unwashed clothing should justifiably feel the same as you...

But in both (And perhaps more in your case) it was what you CHOSE to show others.
Yes, but this clothes style is not necessarily about being up to no good. Hip Hop actually got started by the pioneers to pull the youth out of the street life and into something positive so even though I understand why people may perceive it in the wrong way, it's not like the stinking guy analogy, where he for sure is a loser bum. Basically, not all Hip Hop dressing people are bad people, but automatically others think that we are.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,618,041 times
Quote:
Yes, but this clothes style is not necessarily about being up to no good. Hip Hop actually got started by the pioneers to pull the youth out of the street life and into something positive so even though I understand why people may perceive it in the wrong way, it's not like the stinking guy analogy, where he for sure is a loser bum. Basically, not all Hip Hop dressing people are bad people, but automatically others think that we are.
are you a musician? is someone paying you to perform hip hop music for them?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
are you a musician? is someone paying you to perform hip hop music for them?
No. Like I said, I used to rap not long ago, but not anymore. Nobody paid me though. This is just something I am passionate about.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,113,740 times
Quote:
I had a Plt Sgt explain to me one time that "Perception was reality" and I Argued with him to no end... (No, reality is reality... I don't care if you think the moon is made of green cheese)

YEARS later I realized he was right!

OTHER people's perception IS THEIR reality!

In this instance, through actual (real) exposure to 'thug life' types dressed that way, and through (Fake) TV of similar, that is other people's perceptions...

Reality (For them)

You can:

-Attempt to single handedly change 'their reality'
Not gonna happen.

-Realize you are swimming upstream and adapt.
(What I have done... no matter if I wore a suit or jeans to my internship I would do the same work, and often better in the jeans due to being more relaxed!)

-Or say F**k it I don't care what people think and suffer the consequences
(Something I did in years past until I 'wised up')

For YOU it's not like 'the stinking guy analogy'... for others ... IT IS.

You have to choose from the 3 options above.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 AM

i dont really understand your infatuation with hip-hop beyond the music and style. you are talking about some pioneers pulling kids off the streets, i thought maybe you are more involved than just wearing the clothing.

you will need to accept that its just music and doesnt deserve a larger place in your life.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:37 AM

Themanwithnoname-Yea, I agree. It's kinda hard to adapt though. It's like I have to bend for people I don't even know nor I care about or for. Feels like I would be giving in, which I don't like to do, it's almost like losing.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Themanwithnoname-Yea, I agree. It's kinda hard to adapt though. It's like I have to bend for people I don't even know nor I care about or for. Feels like I would be giving in, which I don't like to do, it's almost like losing.
one premise that we have here that is wrong is that there is nothing wrong with you, you just have a different clothing preference. there is something wrong with you. you are lacking maturity. the way you dress is telling people this, and it is true.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont really understand your infatuation with hip-hop beyond the music and style. you are talking about some pioneers pulling kids off the streets, i thought maybe you are more involved than just wearing the clothing.

you will need to accept that its just music and doesnt deserve a larger place in your life.
Well, it's kinda like an outlet for me, a release of some sort, especially before when I was going through rough times. I could ID with the hardships so it made me attached.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,308,237 times
Okay, the OP is starting to confuse me.

Do you care what people think of you? If yes, then slip into some Dockers and duck shoes and make society happy. If not, then continue to dress the way you do and hope to be judged on the content of your character and not your appearance.

Simple as that. End thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.