Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:56 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times

Advertisements

I am 25 and I been dressing like this for many yrs, but now it feels that this might represent me in a wrong way and maybe I should wear something else, since I am not a gangsta. I am just into Hip Hop music. It seems like people get the wrong impression a lot when I wear my timbs, baggy jeans and all that. I am not about blending in, but at the same time I am an adult now and many people keep telling me to wear more mature clothes, saying that I am all good and mature once you get to know me, but at the first impression I look foolish cuz of the clothes. So basically, can one wear urban clothing and not be perceived as a wigger or a gang banger? ( I am Russian in NJ)

Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,491 times
i find guys who dress and/or act like thugs are incredibly sexy, its all about the "bad boy" fantasy

do you live in a white area? i am assuming you do but it also seems to me that you are too concerned about the what people think of you.. you must learn how to "tone" down your style.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:22 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I am 25 and I been dressing like this for many yrs, but now it feels that this might represent me in a wrong way and maybe I should wear something else, since I am not a gangsta. I am just into Hip Hop music. It seems like people get the wrong impression a lot when I wear my timbs, baggy jeans and all that. I am not about blending in, but at the same time I am an adult now and many people keep telling me to wear more mature clothes, saying that I am all good and mature once you get to know me, but at the first impression I look foolish cuz of the clothes. So basically, can one wear urban clothing and not be perceived as a wigger or a gang banger? ( I am Russian in NJ)
No. Most likely, you are being laughed at by everyone except other 'wiggers'.

You should burn that crap, and get some big-boy clothes.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:34 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
I think Common is a good example of how to dress like that in a mature fashion. Google some pictures. He looks great.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...F-rp0QH26omwBw

Old 12-08-2011, 02:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
If you don't update your look you will get caught in a time warp and not even notice. Everyone else will though...

Old 12-08-2011, 02:03 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I think Common is a good example of how to dress like that in a mature fashion. Google some pictures. He looks great.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...F-rp0QH26omwBw

Excellent advice, Opsi!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
i find guys who dress and/or act like thugs are incredibly sexy, its all about the "bad boy" fantasy

do you live in a white area? i am assuming you do but it also seems to me that you are too concerned about the what people think of you.. you must learn how to "tone" down your style.
Not really that white here, its pretty diverse. I am just talking about in general though. The people who tell me this are not random people, they care about me. I wouldn't care for their opinion otherwise.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Do your loved ones feel it's holding you back from getting a job or finding a mate, etc?

While I agree that 25 is high time to start dressing like a grown-up, that's not to say there are no situations where you can't dress more casual and have it be appropriate.

Any pics? How baggy/sagged are we talking about the jeans? Are you wearing XXXL Marc Ecko hoodies everyday for every situation? What's the scoop?

Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 PM

151 posts, read 206,052 times
Even though you like Hip Hop music does not mean you need to dress in the baggy clothes, tims, fitted caps, etc..
Music should never define who you are.
I listen to Hip Hop/Rap/R&B but do not dress the way they do in videos.
I listen to Country but I do not go around wearing cowboy boots and whatnot.

Honestly, if that is what you are comfortable in then who cares what other people think.

It all depends on the situation you are in too I suppose. If you are just hanging out with friends then it should not matter what you are wearing. If you are going out to events then I would suggest less of the "gangsta" look.

But like I said, "to each their own". If it's not having a negative affect on your life and you are successful in life then I don't see why it would be a problem.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
So basically, can one wear urban clothing and not be perceived as a wigger or a gang banger? ( I am Russian in NJ)
i dont use those terms, i would just say you look like an idiot. i would never take someone who dresses like that seriously. forget about the bs that you dont care about other people's opinions. thats the whole reason you dress like that, you thought it looked cool. but now people have actual expectations of you and you have responsibilities and being "cool" is no longer important. so now, you want other people to think you arent a worthless loser. so start dressing like an adult that has a brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty