Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
The only way to be completely original would be to make your own clothes.
You know what I meant though.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I am not trying to fit in, I've been like this for at least a decade, and I just moved here. It's NJCU in Jersey City so yea it's not Harvard, but it's decent. A lot of inner city people attend, that's why you often see that urban wear. I came from Oregon to NJ just a few months ago so trust me, I was not blending over there whatsoever with these clothes, but I still wore'em cuz that's me. I used to wear timbs and hoodies cuz they were part of the look, now I just feel comfortable in them, especially when it's snowing or raining. Timbs are durable! I don't keep the hood up indoors unless I'm cold.
i know timberlands are durable, thats why i said they are for people doing manual labor, not people trying to go for a hip hop look. you arent doing yourself any favors by using the line that other guy mentioned of wearing what makes you comfortable. you will become comfortable in something else. the notion of who is a "poser" and what is "real hip hop" wont matter to you too much longer, the sooner you recognize that the better.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times
I like hip hop and I dress sort of preppy I guess. You can enjoy whatever you want without actually resembling it. Most people who don't know me would probably be surprised by how much hip hop I listen to.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:32 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
I think you can dress that way, yea, but don't expect too many people to take you seriously in the 'grown man sense.' People shouldn't judge each other based on clothes -- but too bad, that's what they do. I eat, breath, and sleep rock music but I don't dress like some 31 year old 'scene girl.' LOL. That's ridiculous.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
There really isn't one "hip hop" or urban style. Look at stuff on karmaloop.com and you'll see a lot of sweaters and cardigans, and a nicer urban look. You don't need to make a quick change. Just start dressing a little nicer.

I'm 26 and while I dress nice, I still wear fitted hats, cool kicks, and hoodies. But I find a medium where I can dress upscale and still have some urban influences.

Try to mold the two. People aren't doing that. They think you have to chose one or the other.

Today, for example, I wore a black cardigan with a white dress shirt, fitted jeans, and some sick red alife shoes. It's elegant buy the shoes give it just a bit of urban/streetwear flair. Could even throw on a tie and some casual dress shoes if you want to turn it into a 'mainstream mens fashion' look.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:08 PM

Last 3 posts-all good points. I will check that site out.
I can't dress preppy@zenith
Molding the two might be a good idea.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
It comes with age. Keep your music you like. But Dress to your age. People look at me and can't believe I like rap, hip-hop and r&b .

Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM

249 posts, read 803,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I don't sag. I just like to have space and not have my pubic region oppressed in some tight pants you see these new kids wearing. I don't dress like that all the time obviously. When it's business, it's business so it doesn't hold me back in that sense. (I am in real estate and planning to be a cop, believe it or not) They feel like in other situations it might affect something on the other hand, like finding a mate. I don't care about that part though. My woman will accept me the way I am so I am talking in general, like when you go out with friends or what not.
I liked the point made about Common. He kinda mixes it up, never looking too urban.
Wait a minute, I am not finished laughing.

Okay, When you are married your mate will accept you the way you are?

Not. She will change you. Her parents will change you. When the babies arrive, they will change you. Yor employer THE POLICE will expect you to wear polyester against your skin. Euuuuu....

So, when you are ready to grow up, you can make changes. And your clothing style will be the smallest of your worries.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Nobody will make me wear anything unless it's a special event. Police don't care how you dress when you are off the clock.
I am grown. Keep laughing.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I think Common is a good example of how to dress like that in a mature fashion. Google some pictures. He looks great.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...F-rp0QH26omwBw
Great advice and might I add you should watch T.I's new reality show Family Hustle for fashion ideas because he wears a lot of mature & masculine/hood clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty