U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 11:13 AM

97 posts, read 745,784 times

Advertisements

When I buy a new pair of pants, I always wash them in cold water and do not dry them in an attempt to get them not to shrink. The last several pairs of pants I have purchased, however, still did. All of them. Jeans, khakis, cords. What is the deal?

I am 5'3", so I need a really specific length. If I buy regular length they are too long even with shrinkage. If I buy short length they cannot shrink at all or else they will be too short. I've only got a couple of pairs of pants that really fit and the rest are all too big or too short (due to shrinkage. They fit perfectly in the store.)

Is there anything else I should do to prevent this or does anyone know of a good place to buy women's pants based on waist/length rather than set sizes? (Don't even get me started on that. That's a whole other thread topic...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 11:31 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
I have not had that problem...
What brand has been shrinking on you?

Guess you can get the regulars, shrink them and hem to fit.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 AM

410 posts, read 623,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousLindsey View Post
When I buy a new pair of pants, I always wash them in cold water and do not dry them in an attempt to get them not to shrink. The last several pairs of pants I have purchased, however, still did. All of them. Jeans, khakis, cords. What is the deal?

I am 5'3", so I need a really specific length. If I buy regular length they are too long even with shrinkage. If I buy short length they cannot shrink at all or else they will be too short. I've only got a couple of pairs of pants that really fit and the rest are all too big or too short (due to shrinkage. They fit perfectly in the store.)

Is there anything else I should do to prevent this or does anyone know of a good place to buy women's pants based on waist/length rather than set sizes? (Don't even get me started on that. That's a whole other thread topic...)
I have the same problem. I don't understand why they can pre-shrink material before making the clothes. Women's sizing is also annoying to me. They should be sized the way men's pants are sized.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:23 PM

97 posts, read 745,784 times
Jeans and cords from Old Navy, black slacks from the petites section of a department store, but I can't recall which one. I bought a size up in khakis from Old Navy and they did not seem to shrink at all. Of course. Now I have several pairs of too-short pants and one slightly baggy pair that I need a belt with. So frustrating.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:55 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
I'm 5'3" as well, but I don't ever have the problem that the OP has. I always buy the "petite" or "short" length pants and even then they're usually an inch longer than is preferred. And when they shrink, they rarely shrink UP - usually they shrink in the thighs, hips, and waist. Width, in other words, not length. They invariable stretch right back out again to their proper size within an hour of wearing them from the dryer.

I tumble-dry on warm heat, I wash in cold/warm. I've worn a variety of brands, and I can't remember the length of them shrinking since maybe 7th grade, when mom insisted on buying bell-bottoms that were already half an inch too short, not pre-washed, and stiff as a board. That was in the early 1970's.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Quote:
Jeans and cords from Old Navy, black slacks from the petites section of a department store, but I can't recall which one. I bought a size up in khakis from Old Navy and they did not seem to shrink at all. Of course. Now I have several pairs of too-short pants and one slightly baggy pair that I need a belt with. So frustrating.
When I was younger and about that height I stopped buying petites. Regulars are made for people about 5'5'' so if you have longer legs they can work. Try buying fabrics with blend or marked pre-shrunk. You may also try shopping across different departments. (womens,misses,junior)

Old 12-10-2011, 12:15 PM

10,089 posts, read 10,604,044 times
Is it the waistband that keeps getting shorter?

Old 12-10-2011, 01:03 PM

4,613 posts, read 6,113,536 times
I am 5'4"

The short length is usually just barely long enough and regular is too long by several inches.

I bring the pants home, wash them on cold, air dry, and then take them to be hemmed by a tailor.

This way I know definitively that the length is going to be correct after they've been washed and dried.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:37 PM

6,229 posts, read 9,509,112 times
Some pants will shrink regardless of what water temperature you put them in. Usually the shrinkage has nothing to do with water but the dryer. How to combat this is after you take them out of the washer, air dry them. My clothes never shrink from doing that.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
When I buy a new pair of pants, I always wash them in cold water and do not dry them in an attempt to get them not to shrink.
I think that the OP does not use a dryer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty