Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 03:04 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Believe me iv'e been looking all over on the internet but can't find a sweatshirt like this one. The sweatshirt is the one the boy is wearing in this music video

Bon Iver - Holocene (Official Music Video) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,180 times
It is either a handknit or a machine knit Nordic sweater (looks more like handknit.) I don't see how the boy could wear it without a shirt underneath because Nordic wool is rather scratchy.

Since you don't recognize the sweater pattern, you probably are not a knitter, so here are two links to purchase ready-made sweaters similar to that one. I don't know your gender, so these are for both:

Women: Womens wool sweaters| Traditional and contemporary Icelandic wool sweater | Hand knitted Icelandic wool

Men: Traditional Icelandic Pullovers and Cardigans | Icelandic knit pattern | Wool online shop

If you live near a yarn shop, it would be better to ask if one of the staffs/members/regular customers could knit one for you. You would need to buy the required materials (yarn and zipper) from the shop and pay the knitter for his/her labour. The price would probably be the same as a ready-made one, but you would have your choice of colours and the sweater would be better fit.

Alternatively, you could go to a yarn shop, buy the pattern, and learn to knit it yourself. All yarn shops have their own Stitch & B*t*h knitting group -- C-D replaced the word with asterisk signs, but it's not a bad word, it's the true name of all knitting groups -- where members of all ages and genders help one another with projects while sharing tidbits of life stories and developing friendship.

You are near Twin Cities, there are dozens of S&B there.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-11-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 04:38 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
I thought those were called "sewing (or knitting) circles"

Old 12-12-2011, 04:56 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I thought those were called "sewing (or knitting) circles"
There are sewing circles and quilting clubs, but neither word is often used to describe knitters. Sewing circles and quilting clubs are all women and they are rather serious people, or at least, more serious than knitters.

Knitters come in all ages, all walks of life, and all different personalities. Depends on the group, S&B can be dull or rowdy. Many S&Bs eat, drink, knit, and ***, all at the same time. The common characters that I found in almost all S&Bs across the country are friendliness, helpfulness, and welcoming to strangers. Joining a S&B is a great way to make friends while learning a new hobby. And no, knitting is not difficult, even a child can learn to knit a simple scarf with simple knit and purl stitches within the first week.

Most S&Bs meet at yarn shops, but many also meet at Barnes & Nobles.

Men don't sew and quilt, but they do knit. Many S&Bs include men who enjoy being in comfortable environment with women without the risk of emotional or romantic involvement. The term S&B has been around for 70 years and there are tons of books, romance or general fiction, based on S&B groups everywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stitch_'n_*****

(The link does not open with those asterisks, you have to replace them with the real word.)

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-12-2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
OP, google "fair isle sweater" and you'll probably come up with something similar.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
I would say that is a hooded Alpaca sweater, most likely hand made. Easily duplicated by the ladies at your local weaving and knitting shop. You may not realize it, but these folks live to make stuff on contract, it validates their vocation of hand made woven and knitted material. I used to have all of my sweaters hand made and a darn site cheaper than Sak's that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty