Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,296,718 times

Advertisements

hi everyone,
so, my wife always says "i don't have a good brush....." when she's applying make up. I'm trying to get her a really good one....

I found a set from costco for 30, but i highly doubt it's a really good one...simply because of the cost being so low. (the reviews are ALL positive though). Here's the link to it: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11707295&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eC at=BC|1482&N=4000486&Mo=72&No=58&Nr=P_CatalogName: BC&cat=1482&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C

I've seen ONE brush going for 50 at Macy's. i'm guessing good ones are around that much. (that's within my price range for sure....my goal is to get a really nice one)

I need your advice! please recommend 'particular' items if you can. i need to get this asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
I haven't used a brush in 25 years- (I'm 50) after blowdrying and brushing my hair for years as a young man I remember a stylist explaining that a good hair cut on a man doesn't need a brush- what a revelation! Long or short (mostly short) since then it's been -shower (or just wet the hair a little), a little towel dry, dap of gel, muss it in the hair for 15 seconds- "Honey, I'm ready"

Old 12-22-2011, 11:21 AM

Sorry, let me clarify.....i'm talking about a face/makeup brush.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Haha- oops- I missed that one completely

I thought that was kind of odd she would say that while she was applying her makeup and you were busy brushing your hair- I crack myself up with my stupidity sometimes.

Sorry, can't help ya.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:34 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,180 times
Only half of the 10 brushes in that set are useful. The other five brushes are just taking up space. I cannot determine their quality by looking at the photo, but I wouldn't care to own a set of anything when half of it is not of regular use to me.

If my husband were thinking of buying me a good brush or two, I would tell him to go to Sephora and talk to any salesperson there. The staffs at Sephora are very good at their jobs, they are not required to up-sale as staffs at department stores, and the quality of the brushes ranges from very good to excellent.

Not many women need 10 brushes. Instead of buying a whole set of so-so tools, I would suggest you to buy only a couple of essential but excellent quality ones that I believe your wife, whose taste is shown in her statement, would appreciate. She can add to that foundation later on.

ETA: I read all the reviews, but I also read between the lines. The two negative reviews mentioned the same problems so they are worth listening to. Almost all the positive reviewers were taken by the quantity before experiencing with the quality (not exactly a good sign.) The MAC brush user said she would recommend using the brushes on other people and "save your own expensive brushes" (oh, that's not good.) Two or three reviews were excited because it's their "first sets", or it's "good as a beginner set" (not a very good sign.) Another one said it's good for "every possible makeup product" (quantity again, since most women do not need "every possible product"). A few would buy it for "a group of coworkers" (people who do not rank very high on the level of gift giving importance.)

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-22-2011 at 12:34 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 PM

410 posts, read 742,904 times
I think you are going in the right direction by looking at reviews before purchasing. I agree with the above poster that Sephora is a great place to look for cosmetic tools, but before going to the store I would look online at their sets. I trust 500 reviews more than the opinion of the sales staff in the store, but that's just me. There are a lot of reviews on their website, so that should be a good starting point.

I disagree about the usefulness of the set as well. I could see myself using all but the two small brushes on a regular basis.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Only half of the 10 brushes in that set are useful. The other five brushes are just taking up space. I cannot determine their quality by looking at the photo, but I wouldn't care to own a set of anything when half of it is not of regular use to me.

If my husband were thinking of buying me a good brush or two, I would tell him to go to Sephora and talk to any salesperson there. The staffs at Sephora are very good at their jobs, they are not required to up-sale as staffs at department stores, and the quality of the brushes offered there ranges from good to excellent.

Not many women need 10 brushes. Instead of buying a whole set of so-so tools, I would suggest you to buy only two or three of very good quality and essential ones that I believe your wife, whose taste is shown in her statement, would appreciate.

Edit to add: I read through the reviews. Most are taken by the quantity before experiencing with the quality. The professional makeup artist said she would use it on other people's faces (draw your own conclusion.) Two or three reviews said it's their first sets, or it's good as a beginner set. One says it's good for every possible makeup product (most women do not need "every possible product"). A few would buy it for their coworkers (people whose do not rank very high on the level of gift giving importance.) The negative reviews are worth listening to.
Many thanks!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
I think you are going in the right direction by looking at reviews before purchasing. I agree with the above poster that Sephora is a great place to look for cosmetic tools, but before going to the store I would look online at their sets. I trust 500 reviews more than the opinion of the sales staff in the store, but that's just me. There are a lot of reviews on their website, so that should be a good starting point.

agreed.
that's why i was hoping for recommendations from you folks :-)
links to the product (with possible reviews!) would be absolutely appreciated.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
If you are near a Sephora (sephora.com), go there and buy one good brush. However, you need to know what she will use the brush for. There is a difference between one for a powder blush, foundation (liquid or powder), does she need a Kabuki? Their staff can help you but you really need to know what she needs. I would suggest instead of getting a set, get several that do different things. They will probably also recommend a good brush cleaner, but I use Philosophy's Purity and you can get a small bottle of that.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,163 times
I recommend Sephora as well. The salesperson should be able to direct you and advise you. Your wife should only need two; one for powder and one for blush. For me, because I use powder foundation, the powder brush is better quality and ran me about $30. I did get it from Sephora a couple years ago and I regularly wash it in Woolite. My blush brush is simply from Ulta and not as nice or expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty