U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:19 PM

3,523 posts, read 3,752,288 times

Advertisements

Simple supply and demand.

And yes, black people are the market in this case.

An equivalent for white people would be the iphone and ipad craze. Just because black people tend to go hard for what they want, that doesn't warrant blatantly racist remarks.

Black people seem to understand one thing that a lot of other people don't realize. At the end of the day...race means nothing. Everyone is an individual...and if a black person has to step on some other individual, who happens to be black, to get some sneakers, well, that person is going to get stepped on.

Like someone said in one of the videos...it ain't personal, it's just business.

Why the hell do people of other races want to make it personal? Is it because we're black and should look after our "kind"? Now that's racist.

Consumerism, though, is a really sucky ideology...and it isn't limited to any race at all. That's almost what it means to be any type of American these days.

Last edited by dub dub II; 12-24-2011 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 05:49 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times
It seems more normal for a black person to be fighting over Air Jordan's than a fat piece of white trash at wal-mart fighting over waffle makers that went on sale. Yes, even that made news.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:00 PM

22,674 posts, read 28,559,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It seems more normal for a black person to be fighting over Air Jordan's than a fat piece of white trash at wal-mart fighting over waffle makers that went on sale. Yes, even that made news.
yeah? fighting over shoes is more justified than fighting over waffle makers? can you put together some kind of hierarchy of products from the least worthy of fighting over to most?

Old 12-24-2011, 07:03 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,678,000 times
Looks like a brother shoe

Not my type. They can keep it

Old 12-24-2011, 07:10 PM

2,117 posts, read 4,562,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah? fighting over shoes is more justified than fighting over waffle makers? can you put together some kind of hierarchy of products from the least worthy of fighting over to most?
Tickle Me Elmo
Air Jordan's
Waffle Maker
Fine China Set
Diamond earing set for the loved one
That last non-perishable can of beans in case of a zombie Apocalypse
Snow Shovel
Salt for ice

Old 12-24-2011, 08:41 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,678,000 times
I see someone bickering all the time in Walmart. Not always brothas and sistahs. Not always amigos. Not always white folks with a bad odour on them

Old 12-25-2011, 02:40 AM

7,245 posts, read 5,534,685 times
There were basically 5 types of people trying to get the Jordans.
Type 1: The parent that wanted to get them for their infant, toddler, or kid on christmas to wear back to school. In my opinion, they had they dumbest reason to be there. Their kid doesn't know anything about jordan they just want the shoe because it's popular; they more than likely weren't born when the 11s were first released.

Type 2: The person that wanted them that are familiar with them that bought them to wear to the club or basketball court or whatever. Respectable, but these are the people that will wear them a couple times to the club, a couple more times to hoop in, then are all scuffed up and ready for the trash can. Furthermore, these are also the people that are most likely to get in a fight when someone steps on them by mistake, resulting in up to, but not limited to Jail, or Death.

Type 3: Collectors. These are the people that want them because the know what they symbolize. These are the sneaker heads, jordan heads, or whatever you wanna call them. These are the people that can tell why who designed the shoe, what inspirations were used to design the shoe, know that these were the shoes worn when the Bulls went 72-10, and won the championship after jordan's storybook return to the NBA. These people are the ones that wont even take them out of the box they just keep them like an expensive painting or a antique car: for display only. (This is the category I fall under)

Type 4: the shoe store employees. They work at the store, so they are the reason the amount of shoes in stock drop 20-40% before the store even opens. These are the celebrities in this whole situation. They are the most powerful people in the world for the 10 minutes the shoes are in stock.

Type 5: The people that buy them just to sell them. These are the worse of the bunch. They only bought them to turn a profit. They don't care about the shoe, they'll buy 2 or 3 pair if they could and sell them for $500 a pop. these are the people that will laugh in your face about not getting them and sell u some for some outlandish amount. These are people that people in the other groups dispise, they are also the reason for the fights. However, I respect their business savvy, but pick the wrong demographic to screw around with <<< they are the reason for (Most) of the fights.

It wasn't a race thing (there were black, white, latino, middle eastern and oriental people in line with me), class thing, it was a YOUTH thing. A bunch of young people of ALL races, economic background, education levels converging on the helpless shoe stores on 12/23/11...That's the reason the all the trouble.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 12-25-2011 at 02:55 AM..

Old 12-25-2011, 03:21 AM

2,117 posts, read 4,562,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There were basically 5 types of people trying to get the Jordans.

Type 5: The people that buy them just to sell them. These are the worse of the bunch. They only bought them to turn a profit. They don't care about the shoe, they'll buy 2 or 3 pair if they could and sell them for $500 a pop. these are the people that will laugh in your face about not getting them and sell u some for some outlandish amount. These are people that people in the other groups dispise, they are also the reason for the fights. However, I respect their business savvy, but pick the wrong demographic to screw around with <<< they are the reason for (Most) of the fights.
Me

Old 12-25-2011, 03:55 AM

2,178 posts, read 7,797,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The "craze" is about misplaced priorities, nothing more.

Also, I wish to GOD that people would stop referring to women/girls/ladies as "females"...that should be left for describing animals not people.
I totaly agree about "misplaced priorities".
But most living things are either male or female. Including animals and humans. Nothing derogatory about it. Just the fact of nature. The "him's" are males, the "her's" are female. Whats the problem with calling them what they were born as and will forever be in their original natural state?

Old 12-25-2011, 05:57 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,173,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansol View Post
Stop first and think about who wears these shoes, and all your questions are answered.
Most of the people who wear these expensive shoes are teens or people in their lower twenties. I know that my friend who is 19 owns about 25 pairs of Jordans. I only have one pair. The craze is due to hip hop stars rapping about them constantly and wearing them at all different kinds of events, whether they be formal or informal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or