Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:06 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times

Advertisements

You can buy a nice pair of Made in America New Balance sport shoes for $125 or you can pay $190 dollars for made in China Air Jordans.

BTW the people buying Air Jordans used to work in the textile industry here before those jobs were sent to China.
Nothing like supporting the people who laid you off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 07:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
BTW the people buying Air Jordans used to work in the textile industry here before those jobs were sent to China.
Nothing like supporting the people who laid you off.
im sure most of them didnt work in the textile industry here in america. i dont think its fair to assume that this class of people is obligated to feel more strongly about buying american than any group.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:10 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I totaly agree about "misplaced priorities".
But most living things are either male or female. Including animals and humans. Nothing derogatory about it. Just the fact of nature. The "him's" are males, the "her's" are female. Whats the problem with calling them what they were born as and will forever be in their original natural state?
I agree with you on both points.

I see nothing wrong with using the term "male" or "female" when referencing humans. Calipoppy even uses the term "female" in other posts, so I think she's just trying to stir the pot.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:21 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansol View Post
Stop first and think about who wears these shoes, and all your questions are answered.
how do you know abt black people when you live in whitebread conncticut???

Old 12-25-2011, 10:24 AM

19,695 posts, read 20,221,774 times
What is this, 1990 all over again...

Old 12-25-2011, 10:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
how do you know abt black people when you live in whitebread conncticut???
what does that mean "whitebread conncticut"? do people in connecticut eat more white bread than other states?

Old 12-25-2011, 10:49 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what does that mean "whitebread conncticut"? do people in connecticut eat more white bread than other states?
Well, she would know.

Air Jordans were created in 1985. This craze is nothing new. I'm impressed that the fad has lasted this long.

As to explanation, it's all about name recognition, and what's in fashion. I've got to hand it to Nike. You take a beloved athlete, name an overpriced sneaker after him, release a new shoe annually and sit back and rake in the profits.

And the people who are buying these shoes have probably never seen Jordan play except on video.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:28 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Irresponsibility on the part of Nike. When you know the demand for your product is high I find it irresponsible to conduct "limited release" sales. A good case could be made that Nike is responsible for the injuries suffered during the mad scramble by consumers to get their hands on the shoe.

I don't understand a LOT of the consumer behavior in this society. Why do people line up at the Apple store to be one of the first to get their hands on a product? It isn't as if they will not be able to purchase it in the future.

The racial aspect some have implied isn't relevant. Take a look at some of the "black Friday" videos and it is clear that this crowd behavior is not limited to a particular race/creed/color.

Companies play off of human nature. They use greed and fear to market their products and the resulting violence is fully expected. Is there any reason to believe that when you dangle a limited supply of product in front of any mob that wants it you will NOT see violence?

Old 12-25-2011, 11:59 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Irresponsibility on the part of Nike. When you know the demand for your product is high I find it irresponsible to conduct "limited release" sales. A good case could be made that Nike is responsible for the injuries suffered during the mad scramble by consumers to get their hands on the shoe.

I don't understand a LOT of the consumer behavior in this society. Why do people line up at the Apple store to be one of the first to get their hands on a product? It isn't as if they will not be able to purchase it in the future.

The racial aspect some have implied isn't relevant. Take a look at some of the "black Friday" videos and it is clear that this crowd behavior is not limited to a particular race/creed/color.

Companies play off of human nature. They use greed and fear to market their products and the resulting violence is fully expected. Is there any reason to believe that when you dangle a limited supply of product in front of any mob that wants it you will NOT see violence?
It's not Nike's fault that crazed consumers have no self-restraint. Of course the company is going to capitalize on these types of people who live to buy more overpriced crap they don't need. That is a problem with the consumer. If the consumer is not bright enough to figure out they are being manipulated like a little dancing puppet by corporations, then let them shell out their money for overpriced junk, and fight each other to the death for the new _____. Maybe one day they will realize the reality. Once everyone begins to see it, incidents such as these will no longer exist.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:17 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
I don't get it but if I had to guess......

I'd say it was about a misplace value system that says your are irrelevant unless you have (or can appear to have) money.

Sounds pretty American to me

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty