U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 09:48 PM

830 posts, read 1,677,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The "craze" is about misplaced priorities, nothing more.

Also, I wish to GOD that people would stop referring to women/girls/ladies as "females"...that should be left for describing animals not people.
But that's what they are, females
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 01:35 AM

17,414 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
In post #19 of this thread below, you use the term "female" when referencing Newt Gingrich's lady staffers. Which are you? Lower class, undereducated, or both?

Looks like Obama is victory no matter which way you slice it.

"Conservative" is a relative term. Newt Gingrich considers himself "conservative" yet manages to keep tripping and falling into the vajajas of his female staffers.
Don't be glib. "Female" in the context of my quote was used as an adjective to distinguish them from his male staffers, not as a noun.

My original quote: "Conservative" is a relative term. Newt Gingrich considers himself "conservative" yet manages to keep tripping and falling into the vajajas of his female staffers.

I did not say "Newt Gingrich considers himself "conservative" yet manages to keep tripping and falling into the vajajas of females." Which is completely different than what I stated. Again, "females" in my quote was used as an adjective not a noun.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:35 AM

31,985 posts, read 17,265,872 times
All communities have their set of "craze" items.

Back in the day, it was straight leg levi 501's and converse all star high tops. Small towns and suburban kids all have "popular" clothes.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:44 AM

7,658 posts, read 7,459,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You can buy a nice pair of Made in America New Balance sport shoes for $125 or you can pay $190 dollars for made in China Air Jordans.

BTW the people buying Air Jordans used to work in the textile industry here before those jobs were sent to China.
Nothing like supporting the people who laid you off.

I don't think NB makes any basketball shoes, however. I *do* like their running shoes, though.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:48 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
People who buy sneakers they can't afford are the same people who buy cars they can't afford.

They do it b/c they think it buys them some sort of persona - makes them "special." Gives them a "mystique." Says they are "somebody."

Old 12-26-2011, 08:00 AM

2,117 posts, read 4,562,216 times
Making blanket, uninformed and factless generalization about people makes you just as bad as those you criticize.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Making blanket, uninformed and factless generalization about people makes you just as bad as those you criticize.
If you are referring to my statement . . . it is based on psychological profiles of people who fill their lives with brand name products as a way of acquiring an identity they otherwise feel they don't have.

So no, it is not an uninformed, factless generalization.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:54 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Can anyone explain this Nike Air Jordan Craze??
I dont get it. I mean, I guess I understand how WOMEN can be all super excited over shoes because to women shoes are like......... everything to them, but Nikes? They are friggin' athletic shoes, so I dont get the excitement.

Really though, I dont think there is a woman alive who should say something negative about the Nike craze though because they are just as bad about shoes as the nike jordan kids.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 AM

2,117 posts, read 4,562,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If you are referring to my statement . . . it is based on psychological profiles of people who fill their lives with brand name products as a way of acquiring an identity they otherwise feel they don't have.

So no, it is not an uninformed, factless generalization.

I'd like to see the data you are using and these psychological profiles.

Also, what baseline are you using for those that cannot afford something? Loans? Unable to make payments therefore getting cars repossessed?

Also, how does one aquire identity? Through the material posessions one owns or through their own ideas and beliefs based on material posessions and things around that person?

"The first rule for understanding the human condition is that men live in second-hand worlds. They are aware of much more than they have personally experienced; and their own experience is always indirect. The quality of their lives is determined by meanings they have received from others. Everyone lives in a world of such meanings. No man stands alone directly confronting a world of solid fact. No such world is available. . . .

In their everyday life they do not experience a world of solid fact; their experience itself is selected by stereotyped meanings and shaped by ready-made interpretations. Their images of the world, and of themselves, are given to them by crowds of witnesses they have never met and shall never meet. Yet for ever man these images - provided by strangers and dead men - are the basis of his life as a human being."

Old 12-26-2011, 11:11 AM

5,273 posts, read 8,219,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think there absolutely is reason and anyone who conducts violence should be arrested and spend significant time in prison.

if a situation appears dangerous to you, then leave. dont start fighting and blame nike.
I can blame Nike for creating the situation. They knew the demand would be far greater than what they supplied. They know their customer demographic. The expectations that you would have an orderly selling process with these factors in place is naive.

I fail to see how your statement addresses anything I have said. It is wonderful how you think people should be prosecuted. I never said they shouldn't. It is wonderful you gave me "insightful" advice on what I should do at a Nike sale. I am not blaming Nike for the fights, I am blaming Nike for knowingly creating the situation that resulted in violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or