U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:25 AM

95 posts, read 218,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
People who refer to women/girls/ladies as "females" are typically lower class and/or undereducated (or have adopted the lingo of the lower class and undereducated). The reference is dismissive, dehumanizing, is meant as a "slight" not a complement and is used only in one direction (ie men/boys/gentlemen do not refer to each other as "males")

What I find really sad is when other women/girls/ladies use the term "females" to refer to other women. SMH at that ignorance.
Females is not only accurate, it is non-judgmental, as is males. In fact, there are much more hard feelings around whether one calls a female a "woman" or a "girl"... i.e., apparently if you go with "girl" you may be insulting someone who should have been called "lady / woman" instead... not sure where the age line is there though. so, damned if you do or don't.

Using 'female' then is less likely to cause umbrage. Although you apparently can't please everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 11:39 AM

22,670 posts, read 28,551,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I can blame Nike for creating the situation. They knew the demand would be far greater than what they supplied. They know their customer demographic. The expectations that you would have an orderly selling process with these factors in place is naive.

I fail to see how your statement addresses anything I have said. It is wonderful how you think people should be prosecuted. I never said they shouldn't. It is wonderful you gave me "insightful" advice on what I should do at a Nike sale. I am not blaming Nike for the fights, I am blaming Nike for knowingly creating the situation that resulted in violence.
you could blame martians for creating the situation also. the point is that blaming nike for the illegal actions of other people is ridiculous. they are allowed to release their sneakers in any manner that they want to as long as its within the law.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:46 PM

2,117 posts, read 4,561,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you could blame martians for creating the situation also. the point is that blaming nike for the illegal actions of other people is ridiculous. they are allowed to release their sneakers in any manner that they want to as long as its within the law.
Agreed.
To warguy:

Blame Nike? How about the stores? Why don't the stores have security in place? They're making profits from selling those Nike shoes and are completely aware of the situation, hire security.

What about the woman that sprayed a shopper with mace for an XBOX?

It's not fair to blame Nike for 'knowingly' creating a situation - because it's impossible to try and conceptualize a situation before it happens.

Ah, Americans. Placing blame. So easy, yeah?

Old 12-26-2011, 12:54 PM

837 posts, read 2,495,537 times
who is Jordan anyway?

Old 12-26-2011, 01:11 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,242,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I'd like to see the data you are using and these psychological profiles.

Also, what baseline are you using for those that cannot afford something? Loans? Unable to make payments therefore getting cars repossessed?

Also, how does one aquire identity? Through the material posessions one owns or through their own ideas and beliefs based on material posessions and things around that person?

"The first rule for understanding the human condition is that men live in second-hand worlds. They are aware of much more than they have personally experienced; and their own experience is always indirect. The quality of their lives is determined by meanings they have received from others. Everyone lives in a world of such meanings. No man stands alone directly confronting a world of solid fact. No such world is available. . . .

In their everyday life they do not experience a world of solid fact; their experience itself is selected by stereotyped meanings and shaped by ready-made interpretations. Their images of the world, and of themselves, are given to them by crowds of witnesses they have never met and shall never meet. Yet for ever man these images - provided by strangers and dead men - are the basis of his life as a human being."
Go google it yourself, for god's sake. I don't have a dog in this fight, sugar. If you want to believe it is something else - I don't care!

Old 12-26-2011, 01:18 PM

2,117 posts, read 4,561,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Go google it yourself, for god's sake. I don't have a dog in this fight, sugar. If you want to believe it is something else - I don't care!
I am respond to this while I'm taking a poop. That's how much I care.

Alright love, I will not research information that you present, what sort of world do you live in.

p.s., I like to get in useless "debates" with people, so don't take me seriously at all.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:23 PM

22,670 posts, read 28,551,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
im just curious; these psychological profiles you refer to, where did you read them?

Old 12-26-2011, 01:23 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,673,685 times
Quote:
Making blanket, uninformed and factless generalization about people makes you just as bad as those you criticize.
She does have a point

All of us like buying nice things and accumulating "brands" we love, but NOT at the expense of our finances, bankrupting ourselves.

This is where spending within a safety ceiling comes into play. There are people who make a hefty BMW payment on 60K per annum. They are exercising that crisis of identity at the expense of their bleeding net worth statement.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I am respond to this while I'm taking a poop. That's how much I care.

Alright love, I will not research information that you present, what sort of world do you live in.

p.s., I like to get in useless "debates" with people, so don't take me seriously at all.
I am not debating anyone, lol. I am just passing on what psychologists say about folks who live and die by the label in their clothing (or shoes) or purse - whatever - when they don't have the income to back up the price tags.

There is no reason for any of us to speculate what the demographics are that buy these shoes. Take a look, lol

New Nike Air Jordan XI Concord Causes Shopping Frenzy In Indianapolis - YouTube

Air Jordan Riots Atlanta Mall trashed by shoppers-Segment3 - YouTube

Air Jordan shoes cause riots around America - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYs4t...eature=related

Now, feel free to rant about stereotypes . . . even tho you know full well most of those folks buying those shoes don't make over $65K a year.

Last edited by brokensky; 12-26-2011 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im just curious; these psychological profiles you refer to, where did you read them?
I am in marketing. I own a marketing and advertising company. I read demographic research on buying habits all the time.

The info is out there - this isn't a mystery, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or