U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:48 AM

25,573 posts, read 23,763,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Well, I can only say if a man is under 5'10"; yes they are less attractive- as long as he is a good person and in shape I dont measure the torso-lol

Short men are a turn-off- I am 5'8" (and like wearing heels) so need a real man!

sunny

Wow that almost sums up what one of my friends told me when I asked her this question (at the beginning of this post)!
I'm 5'3" so of course I like wearing heels. like a lot of other women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Sorry. I just had to pick on Helena. I think the size issue has a lot more to do with the pickER than the pickEE. A lot of us women have a size issue. OURS not YOURS. How many men have you ever heard ask "Do these pants make my butt look fat?".

A lot of taller women dont like to date short/smaller men cause it makes them feel huge. Also we know some of you just want to dance with us so you can stick your nose in our boobs.

As for myself I want to wear heels and look my mate in the eye. I dont want a crick from looking up or down. Also I like somebody who is as fluffy or more fluffy than me. Hey the Huz made me feel little. I was twenty. I was shallow. Im sorry.

So no youre not less of a man but if youre getting turned down a lot it could be because youre setting yourself up by asking the wrong peeps.

And just so you know. I do know what it feels like to not get picked. Way back when I was single it wasnt fashionable for women to be tall. Add being a nerd to that and as you can guess I didnt get many dates. Being on the Debate team probably didnt help either. LOL.

Oh, so now I see... Women want a man who compliments their wardrobe well, as do their shoes, handbags, earings etc.

I myself have been attracted to women about a foot shorter than me, women almost a foot taller than me (6'2-6'4" ?) and every height in between...

But then again like most men I don't give a darn what (or who) matches with what I'm wearing.

Guys actually bought into the idea of fashionable women shouldn't be tall?
When was this?

I hear you. I get picked from time to time to dance a song or two, so it ain't all bad for me.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:11 AM

I may be wrong but a guy who 'complments' what women wear isnt what its about. I just think it could be awkward for a man to be shorter than the woman, and would think that might be an issue for him, but again, its just a guess.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 AM

6,739 posts, read 8,539,903 times
I've dated tall and shorter guys - I'm talking about a guy over 6 foot and boy was it awkward for me - I'm 5'4 and I think 6 foot would be my limit. I don't want a step stool to suck face with him, you know.......

Old 09-05-2007, 07:58 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,038,777 times
I always liked tall guys.

However, if you're short, work it - look at Dudley Moore! He was very short, but he was a sex symbol, for gosh sakes. LOL.

He had that sexy, shaggy longer hair, and a way about him. English accent didn't hurt, either....."Cuddly Dudley"

Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I always liked tall guys.

However, if you're short, work it - look at Dudley Moore! He was very short, but he was a sex symbol, for gosh sakes. LOL.

He had that sexy, shaggy longer hair, and a way about him. English accent didn't hurt, either....."Cuddly Dudley"

Ive seen a few of his movies and agree, it must be a combination of that curly dark hair and that accent...

Old 09-06-2007, 08:23 PM

523 posts, read 2,547,102 times
Some guys may not like my answer but I'll be blunt...I'm 5'6", slim, and in shape and I prefer tall, muscular, medium build guys. I prefer over 6 ft tall. When I wear heels (which is almost every day), I'm 5'9" and I like the guy to be noticeably taller than me. I also want the guy to be bigger and more muscular than me (which technically shouldn't be that difficult but I'm surprisingly more muscular than a lot of guys). Skinny, small frame guys are a turn off to me. Short arms and small hands also turn me off. My rule of thumb is that I won't date a guy if there is any question in my mind that I could kick his a$$.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:47 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
Some guys may not like my answer but I'll be blunt...

When I wear heels (which is almost every day), I'm 5'9" and I like the guy to be noticeably taller than me. I also want the guy to be bigger and more muscular than me (which technically shouldn't be that difficult but I'm surprisingly more muscular than a lot of guys). Skinny, small frame guys are a turn off to me. Short arms and small hands also turn me off.

My rule of thumb is that I won't date a guy if there is any question in my mind that I could kick his a$$.
No problem...

I think I happen to have a semi-unusual look. I have a slim skeletal structure, but for my bone structure I look like I have slightly bulky (semi-defined) overall muscle tone. Basically I'm not weak and by myself I don't look small, don't have small hands, feet etc., yet I appear smallish overall standing next to an average, naturally athletic-built guy, say 5'10" and still thin at 195lbs.

Fair enough.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:22 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,387,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
No problem...

I think I happen to have a semi-unusual look. I have a slim skeletal structure, but for my bone structure I look like I have slightly bulky (semi-defined) overall muscle tone. Basically I'm not weak and by myself I don't look small, don't have small hands, feet etc., yet I appear smallish overall standing next to an average, naturally athletic-built guy, say 5'10" and still thin at 195lbs.

Fair enough.
Hi Cold C -

From what you mentioned before about off-the-rack clothing not fitting right, perhaps you just need to tailor your clothing so you don't look/feel awkward? In other words, I don't think you're the problem, but the fit of the clothing isn't as flattering as it could be to emphasize your best attributes.

I knew 2 men who had to tailor all of their clothing because they were so physically active & although quite muscular & 5'10"-ish, they had such low body fat they looked "smaller than average", to use your phrase. One even bought $150 jeans & $120 shirts from Saks & had his tailor take them in. He always looked great after his tailor fit his clothing to his very fit body, but straight off-the-rack, he looked like a little kid playing with dad's wardrobe. By the way, tailoring isn't as expensive as you might think, particularly for men's clothing. Some stores even offer it for free. Saks would tailor my friend's clothing for free, but he feels more comfortable using his own tailor, who he's had for 20-yrs.

Also, I think in part, we've adjusted to seeing people with a bit more weight on them over the passed 20-yrs, so much so that trim/fit builds on both men/women can appear small-ish now.

Small torso? I've been recovering from surgery & have recently been watching scary movies. Hey, I just want a guy with a torso big enough to fight off mothman, a ghost, a serial killer, an alien or a robber that might gain entry into my home to abscond with my 4-lbs of Starbucks coffee!

Honestly, I like a man with nicely tailored clothing. We all look better with a nice, flattering fit.

Have a great weekend... VV

Old 09-07-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
Some guys may not like my answer but I'll be blunt...I'm 5'6", slim, and in shape and I prefer tall, muscular, medium build guys. I prefer over 6 ft tall. When I wear heels (which is almost every day), I'm 5'9" and I like the guy to be noticeably taller than me. I also want the guy to be bigger and more muscular than me (which technically shouldn't be that difficult but I'm surprisingly more muscular than a lot of guys). Skinny, small frame guys are a turn off to me. Short arms and small hands also turn me off. My rule of thumb is that I won't date a guy if there is any question in my mind that I could kick his a$$.

Nothing wrong with being blunt, sometimes you have to, to get the point across. There may be some who 'still' dont get it, even after you spell it out for them. But this applies to many people (family members, friends, buddies, relatives, women), not just men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or