Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
If your shape allows it, you can buy pants/jeans at JC Penney online with unfinished legs, and specify length. A friend of mine has to do this for her husband, who is 6'2 and has a 28"waist.
Their 'talls' were only 34" long if I remember correctly... To have a pair of pants hit my heel they have to be a 36" inseam, and I prefer a 38 so I can hem them up a bit and then let them out if I decide to wear heels.

At work I wear Dickies type pants at work and those were ridiculous to try and find. The ones I tried on went up above my belly button which simply isn't comfortable and the Juniors barely covered my lady bits they were so low. I finally found a place that sold 36" and just hit above my hips and I just let the hem down a bit and cleaned up the edges. Well worth the money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:39 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Their 'talls' were only 34" long if I remember correctly... To have a pair of pants hit my heel they have to be a 36" inseam, and I prefer a 38 so I can hem them up a bit and then let them out if I decide to wear heels.

At work I wear Dickies type pants at work and those were ridiculous to try and find. The ones I tried on went up above my belly button which simply isn't comfortable and the Juniors barely covered my lady bits they were so low. I finally found a place that sold 36" and just hit above my hips and I just let the hem down a bit and cleaned up the edges. Well worth the money
Talls in the mens pants are 38" inseam - if you can wear men's styles. For instance, these Dockers. In the jeans, 38" also. Women's sizes, well ... I think it's tough to find anything over 34". That's where sewing comes in handy.

When I was first in adult sizes, I had to hem 4" off every pair of pants, because "average" at that time was evidently a 34" inseam - mine's 30".

Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Talls in the mens pants are 38" inseam - if you can wear men's styles. For instance, these Dockers. In the jeans, 38" also. Women's sizes, well ... I think it's tough to find anything over 34". That's where sewing comes in handy.

When I was first in adult sizes, I had to hem 4" off every pair of pants, because "average" at that time was evidently a 34" inseam - mine's 30".

No mens pants for me, I have an hourglass figure and they just don't fit right. When I was young (before I got hips ) I wore mens wranglers in a 28/38 which had to be special ordered. I usually get my pants from Alloy or Delia's because they come in up to 38" inseams but the quality isn't that great. I can wear a pair of their jeans for less than a year before they're too worn out, which is why I wait for their stuff to go on sale and buy 5 or 6 pairs at a time for $20 a pop

Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
No mens pants for me, I have an hourglass figure and they just don't fit right. When I was young (before I got hips ) I wore mens wranglers in a 28/38 which had to be special ordered. I usually get my pants from Alloy or Delia's because they come in up to 38" inseams but the quality isn't that great. I can wear a pair of their jeans for less than a year before they're too worn out, which is why I wait for their stuff to go on sale and buy 5 or 6 pairs at a time for $20 a pop
Maurices has jeans with 36" inseams for about $30 a pair. They also have silvers which come in extra long, but those run more in the $80 range. Maurices pants aren't the best I've owned, but they're worth what you pay.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:19 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
OMG.... I spent a couple of hours this morning looking for pants. I am larger so I have to buy "plus size" clothing. What the heck is with the pants for plus-size women???? They will fit in the waist fine but the legs are so huge that it looks like you can stuff a month's worth of groceries in them. Then, they're a bit too long so they scrunch up on the bottoms making you look dumpy or like a 5 year old wearing hand-me-down jeans.
Or ---- even worse --- they're "boot cut", so now you look bigger and dumpier because the bottoms are wide enough to fit 4 people in.

I asked the woman who worked there and she said she only wears leggings/stretch pant-type pants. I don't think leggings would look right on a person who is "plus size" since they are skin tight.

Why isn't there some kind of in-between where you can find jeans or pants that fit correctly???? I am beyond frustrated in this!!!!!
Not trying to be mean but if you lost weight, you would not have the above problem. I used to be overweight and got tired of things not fitting and did something about it.

Just saying, rather than complaining about it, take action on it.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:22 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You should go a little farther here -- they actually make clothes for a certain type of body -- long and lean. You don't see short models.

Saw a couple of adorable teens in the junior department thoroughly upset with themselves because nothing fit. And they were size 0 and 2. They were short.

I told them (and this was years ago) it's not you, it's the clothing. Keep trying till you find something that DOES work.

So to the OP -- keep looking. Learning to sew helps with hemming, but sewing clothing that really looks good and fits is a learned skill that takes time and much practice.
I will say this is so true. I am thin but short, so tough to find pants that I don't have to hem.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:26 AM

191 posts, read 485,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Not trying to be mean but if you lost weight, you would not have the above problem. I used to be overweight and got tired of things not fitting and did something about it.

Just saying, rather than complaining about it, take action on it.

It's quite rude of you to make that comment when OP already stated that her weight gain was due to medical issues AND that she had already lost 20 pounds AND that she is still losing weight.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Disagree. I'd say the ideal size to be for optimal shopping experience is a size 6 at about 5'6. Ladies who are truly size 0/2 often find vanity sizing means their size doesn't exist in stores. And the tall ladies will testify it's a hunt to find long enough pants and so many of what passes for dresses these days are glorified shirts on a tall woman.
Ha, I can vouch for that! I've bought "dresses" for use as long shirts to wear with leggings. Wore such an outfit just yesterday!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:33 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I've gotten jeans at Long Elegant Legs (catalog/website). They aren't cheap, but I'm so happy to have a couple of pair that fit. I wear an 18, but not an 18"W", just a normal 18, and I am just one half-inch over 6 feet tall.

I too have bought the 18W pants and been able to hide refugees in the huge legs.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:52 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Ah, too bad. I have too much waist/not enough hip to wear men's pants, too (12" difference between waist and hip).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty