U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2012, 03:15 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 11,656,251 times
Reputation: 4039

Advertisements

OMG.... I spent a couple of hours this morning looking for pants. I am larger so I have to buy "plus size" clothing. What the heck is with the pants for plus-size women???? They will fit in the waist fine but the legs are so huge that it looks like you can stuff a month's worth of groceries in them. Then, they're a bit too long so they scrunch up on the bottoms making you look dumpy or like a 5 year old wearing hand-me-down jeans.
Or ---- even worse --- they're "boot cut", so now you look bigger and dumpier because the bottoms are wide enough to fit 4 people in.

I asked the woman who worked there and she said she only wears leggings/stretch pant-type pants. I don't think leggings would look right on a person who is "plus size" since they are skin tight.

Why isn't there some kind of in-between where you can find jeans or pants that fit correctly???? I am beyond frustrated in this!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2012, 04:24 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Reputation: 5326
You have to go with a line that designs specifically for plus size or lose weight. Also when you gain your shape changes some, so you can pick the same things and expect it to be as balanced looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 05:24 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Reputation: 5566
Uh pants can be hemmed but almost never lengthened and some women carry a lot of weight in their legs so roomy pants allow them to wear those pants and women with smaller legs can get them taken in.

It sucks and no one has an easy time buying pants, but you work with what you've got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 11,656,251 times
Reputation: 4039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
You have to go with a line that designs specifically for plus size or lose weight. Also when you gain your shape changes some, so you can pick the same things and expect it to be as balanced looking.

I was looking at lines that are specifically made for "plus size" women and they're all ridiculous. Huge legs, wide at the bottom, all baggy in the front area. The only other pants are basically potato sacks with legs ---"stretch" pants with such a huge section from the waist to the thighs that you could fit 2 or 3 people in them, no matter what size you choose. Or better yet, the "pull on jeans" that you put on and they come up to your chest.

Lose weight? Gee, never thought of that.... My weight gain is from medical issues I had. I've recently lost 20 pounds and will be working at losing more. In the meantime, I need pants to wear that don't look clownish or slip down as I walk so the crotch isn't at my knees by the time I get to the bus stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 07:01 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 11,656,251 times
Reputation: 4039
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Uh pants can be hemmed but almost never lengthened and some women carry a lot of weight in their legs so roomy pants allow them to wear those pants and women with smaller legs can get them taken in.

It sucks and no one has an easy time buying pants, but you work with what you've got.

By the time I do all that, the pants will end up costing my $100+ and that's just not worth it for me.

I can't imagine anyone having legs large enough to fill some of the pants I tried on today. Seriously. I could have put both my legs in one pant leg and still have room.

There's one more store I'm going to give a try tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 AM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I was looking at lines that are specifically made for "plus size" women and they're all ridiculous. Huge legs, wide at the bottom, all baggy in the front area. The only other pants are basically potato sacks with legs ---"stretch" pants with such a huge section from the waist to the thighs that you could fit 2 or 3 people in them, no matter what size you choose. Or better yet, the "pull on jeans" that you put on and they come up to your chest.

Lose weight? Gee, never thought of that.... My weight gain is from medical issues I had. I've recently lost 20 pounds and will be working at losing more. In the meantime, I need pants to wear that don't look clownish or slip down as I walk so the crotch isn't at my knees by the time I get to the bus stop.
Are you trying the plus petite? Skirts are easier to find than pants too.

Try a strait leg like this:
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...scid=772522012

Avoid "trouser" cuts that are popular this fall. A lot of pants are cut that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 AM
 
3,876 posts, read 4,571,964 times
Reputation: 10004
Sounds like you're a true apple shape, which is one of the most difficult shapes to fit properly on the lower half of the body. It will probably be easier for you to work with a pencil skirt and tights than to find trousers that fit off-the-rack. Junior plus sizes may work better for you. Also, if you're at the low end of the plus range, you might also have better luck with the high end of the standard misses' sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,246,015 times
Reputation: 6815
Guys have this problem too. If you have short legs and a big waist your pants just don't look right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 11:59 AM
 
4,502 posts, read 11,656,251 times
Reputation: 4039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Are you trying the plus petite? Skirts are easier to find than pants too.

Try a strait leg like this:
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...scid=772522012

Avoid "trouser" cuts that are popular this fall. A lot of pants are cut that way.

The plus petites are too short and the plus average are too long.

Trouser cut pants? Yikes. On me, they look like "old man" pants. I absolutely avoid them.

I'll check out the link you posted.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 11,656,251 times
Reputation: 4039
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Sounds like you're a true apple shape, which is one of the most difficult shapes to fit properly on the lower half of the body. It will probably be easier for you to work with a pencil skirt and tights than to find trousers that fit off-the-rack. Junior plus sizes may work better for you. Also, if you're at the low end of the plus range, you might also have better luck with the high end of the standard misses' sizes.
You're right about the skirts... .I did that over the summer. I opted for "skorts" rather than shorts. They fit perfectly and I had no problems.

I'm going to check out the junior plus sizes. I honestly hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top