U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,085,743 times

Advertisements

A black pump and a strappy gold, black or silver sandal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,543,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
There is very limited space for frills (yes, I know shoes are not frills, but when there is very little storage space and I have to choose between household staples or shoes, I am certain shoes have to go. In addition, I don't need the type of shoes I have always had while living here, but I still need to have one or two pairs at hand for when we go somewhere.
BAH! There are ALWAYS solutions for space. There is the shoe hanger over the door, the shoe hanger that hangs on the actual closet rod, under the bed, the storage cubes that double as table space, all sorts of things.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,494,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
BAH! There are ALWAYS solutions for space. There is the shoe hanger over the door, the shoe hanger that hangs on the actual closet rod, under the bed, the storage cubes that double as table space, all sorts of things.
Yeah, as if I did not spend the first two weeks after we moved in walking around eyeing the place hoping for an unused inch of space to appear miraculously!

Let me describe our place to you:

The small living room is not just a living room but also an office for two computers and one laptop. The printer sits underneath the computer table. If I swing my feet while sitting at the computer, I would seriously damage the printer. The speakers sit on top of the tower, next to two cell phones and a home phone.

There is no room for a sofa in the living room so we use the bed bench instead (no storage underneath). A small recliner is husband's chair for everything he needs to do (making budget, surfing the net, watching the game, etc.) The shelf below the coffee table's glass top serves as storage place for a throw, a blanket and a stack of books. There is no room for a dining table. The counter/bar serves as a dining area with baskets for keys, wallets, and catch-all.

There are only one medium size and one small size kitchen cupboards, not enough room for all my dishes, pots, and pans. There is no pantry for food or household goods. The toaster oven sits atop the refrigerator, we have to take it down every time we need to use it since there is no outlet up that high. That refrigerator top is also a shelf for kitchen linens, hot pads, oven mittens, and apron. The Cuisinart, deep fryer, and many kitchen items are sharing the garage with a car and an ancient boat (not ours to get rid of.)

There is not enough counter space for both the coffee maker and a knife block so the block had to go. Then we realized there is not enough space in the two kitchen drawers for knives and utensils, so half of the knives have moved themselves to the garage as well. The space on top of the cupboard and below the ceiling is where we store our wine.

There is one usable small closet with one closet rod for both of us, for all four seasons worth of clothing, from heavy overcoats to T-shirts, from ski pants to summer dresses. The rod is in danger of collapsing any minute now. We took the door off the closet to make room for plastic storage bins (full of my hand-knitted stuffs and ski accessories) and boots of all kinds. The shelf above the rod is for hats, scarves, purses, towels, and bed linens.

One side of the loft is our bedroom. I have a trunk for my yarn and knitting needs that also serves as a side table, and a small hall table with the top as vanity shelf and the bottom as dresser (no drawers, just two shelves.) My-own-size mannequin next to it serves as a display (or rather, storage place) for one outfit, a sweater, a coat, two scarves, a hat, a belt, a shoulder bag, and a couple of necklaces. Too bad the mannequin does not have legs or feet so I could put a pair of shoes on it as well.

Under the bed lie several very long cords for the electric blanket and humidifier. Cannot store anything that may intertwine itself with electric cords. Maybe when we do not need electric blanket in the summer, we could store something there, but humidifier is a permanent fixture in this climate.

The other side of the loft is the guest bedroom where books are stacked on the floor and along the walls like soldiers in fortress. Aside from books and a bed, there is nothing in that part of the loft but a rocking chair under the sloping beams. There is a door (guests have door to sleep in privacy; we don't) but it will not support anything heavier than a wreath. Besides, it is a guest room, I cannot hang my shoes out in the open there. Under the guest bed are the cords for another electric blanket.

This cabin was not designed for permanent residence, but it becomes one now and I am making the best out of it. Boots are essentials so they stay, but dress shoes? That's the reason for this thread.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 04-06-2012 at 11:15 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 11:16 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,494,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
A black pump and a strappy gold, black or silver sandal.
Sounds very pretty.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:59 AM

26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Mine too, if not for the price.
Those were expensive! But every year I see a similar moderately priced one.

I wish I could wear them, but usually my feet are too flat. I try them on and my feet just look all wrong. But I have seen similar for under $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty