U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:39 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times

Advertisements

I was just about to recommend a primer, Opsi. I use Studio Gear from Ulta. It does exactly what you say it does. I use Studio Gear concealer around my eyes, nose, and chin, and then BareMinerals foundation on top of that. BareMinerals mineral veil (finishing powder) on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 AM

5,891 posts, read 11,084,703 times
Be careful if you have a department store beauty makeover. Sometimes they're great, but the last time I had one (and thankfully didn't buy the foundation), the color looked TOTALLY different when I left the store lighting, and I had a very obvious line where the makeup ended and my skin began.

I like Bare Essentials during most of the year, but in the colder months, I like a liquid foundation that provides a more glowy finish. I hestiate to recommend one, though, as I'm not sure I've found the best one for me myself. When I don't feel like doing a full makeup, I do like just wearing a tinted foundation to even out my skin tone.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's like wasting tons of money on various mascaras and going back to Great Lash.

I've never tried Revlon Colorstay, but I've also read many positive opinions. Lately I've been watching some videos by a make-up artist and out of the drugstore foundations she recommends L'Oreal True Match. They're very plain bottles that have never caught my eye, but it may be good...
LOL Same holds true for me with mascara!!!! I've tried them all but always go back to Maybelline's Great Lash, Full 'N Soft and Volum' Express - The Colossal.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,283,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Be careful if you have a department store beauty makeover. Sometimes they're great, but the last time I had one (and thankfully didn't buy the foundation), the color looked TOTALLY different when I left the store lighting, and I had a very obvious line where the makeup ended and my skin began.
I use Lancome - they will make you a small sample bottle to take with you if you ask. I love their foundations - but the last couple color matches I got were way off.

Primer really helps too!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,145,091 times
A few weeks back I got a tub of L'Oreal Magic Smooth Souffle on a whim and was like O_O Just a smidgen of it on my fingertips and it's perfect.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,438,504 times
I don't need a lot of coverage and I can't stand the feel of a regular foundation, BUT -- I love a tinted moisturizer. I've been using Tarte for a while now, and I'm no longer happy with the shimmery mineral look -- after I wear it for a while, it looks a bit blotchy, espeically because I have hot flashes and flush up.

I also can't stand powders -- too drying for me.

My best suggestion? Go to the beauty counters and see if they will give you samples of different styles of foundations and different nearly matching colors. To me, it takes a few days to find out whether something works for me.

A lot of the mineral foundations will let you buy samples -- which is great, too. A couple of bucks for some samples, stuff to play with and you get a good idea if it works for you.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:43 PM

181 posts, read 547,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I don't need a lot of coverage and I can't stand the feel of a regular foundation, BUT -- I love a tinted moisturizer. I've been using Tarte for a while now, and I'm no longer happy with the shimmery mineral look -- after I wear it for a while, it looks a bit blotchy, espeically because I have hot flashes and flush up.

I also can't stand powders -- too drying for me.

My best suggestion? Go to the beauty counters and see if they will give you samples of different styles of foundations and different nearly matching colors. To me, it takes a few days to find out whether something works for me.

A lot of the mineral foundations will let you buy samples -- which is great, too. A couple of bucks for some samples, stuff to play with and you get a good idea if it works for you.
Try Laura Merciers tinted moisturizer. I love it.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
A few weeks back I got a tub of L'Oreal Magic Smooth Souffle on a whim and was like O_O Just a smidgen of it on my fingertips and it's perfect.
I LOVE that souffle texture in makeups. I wish I could find a color match in foundation lines with that texture. I picked up a maybelline blush in that texture and love it so much. It goes on so evenly and easily. I have to be very careful with blushers due to pale skin. Kinda OT but that texture is definitely worth a try if you are experimenting with products.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:50 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanykayy View Post
Try Laura Merciers tinted moisturizer. I love it.
Ugh, I had nothing but disappointing experiences with the LM tinted moisturizers. Both types made me breakout and I feel they offered little coverage.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM

3,785 posts, read 8,762,556 times
I have dry skin and, especially in the winter, it can look dull. I have been searching for years to find a foundation that actually works for me. I finally found Stila illuminating foundation (liquid form). I love this stuff. It makes my skin look amazing and it really does brighten it up.

I second (or third, or fourth) the recommendation to start with a primer. I use smashbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty