U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,837 posts, read 77,102,498 times
Reputation: 22814

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Ugh, I had nothing but disappointing experiences with the LM tinted moisturizers. Both types made me breakout and I feel they offered little coverage.
Really? A lot of women sing praises to her tinted moisturizers, concealers (I don't know if such an animal as a good concealer exists), and foundations... I haven't explored her. I only have one gloss, which I like very much, though, and will repurchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Reputation: 20198
I have discoloration on my face in splotches, and shadowed eye sockets (it's a pigment thing, not a sleep/dehydration thing). I've found MAC Studio Fix liquid foundation to be pretty helpful in evening out the tone and serving as a light concealer. A little goes a long way, and it leaves a semi-matte finish so if you want a glowy effect you'd need something over it like Bare Minerals' veil (which I also use).

I use Bare Minerals powder foundation when it's warm, I always use a little "Warmth" instead of blush, and top off whatever foundation I'm using with the Veil as a setting powder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:20 PM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 6,122,282 times
Reputation: 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have dry skin and, especially in the winter, it can look dull. I have been searching for years to find a foundation that actually works for me. I finally found Stila illuminating foundation (liquid form). I love this stuff. It makes my skin look amazing and it really does brighten it up.

I second (or third, or fourth) the recommendation to start with a primer. I use smashbox.
I am also in the primer camp. I use the Sephora perfecting ultra smoothing.

Does the Stila illuminating have shimmer in it? I had a Clinique rep suggest the supermoisture foundation to me since my skin is so dry right now, and I bought it not realizing it had shimmer/almost glitter in it. It's also really sheer, I need a light/med coverage.

Question for all: do all illuminating foundations have actual shimmer in them? Where you can see glittery pieces if you look up close? I've just started getting into foundations so I don't know. I like that glowy look but not that teenybopper shine.

Also suggestions for acne-prone skin? I tend to react to almost everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 AM
 
509 posts, read 1,574,436 times
Reputation: 993
I use MAC studio Fix powder foundation and swear by it. I have been using it for 9 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Reputation: 42369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have dry skin and, especially in the winter, it can look dull. I have been searching for years to find a foundation that actually works for me. I finally found Stila illuminating foundation (liquid form). I love this stuff. It makes my skin look amazing and it really does brighten it up.

I second (or third, or fourth) the recommendation to start with a primer. I use smashbox.
I have the same problem with dry skin and wintertime. Another poster, ImportersWife, recommended the Alpha Hydrox line, and so far it has been great. It has helped get rid of the dry, dead layer, and my face does look more healthy and glowy. You might try it too.

Sorry to have taken the thread off topic, but having newer skin does affect foundation choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 08:57 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Reputation: 57184
I believe I have finally settled on the perfect foundation for me. It goes on like velvet and leaves a matte, pore-free finish, and does not leave a heavy feeling on your skin. It does not melt in the hot southern climate and never irritates my contact lenses. It is L'Oreal Magic Smooth Souffle.
The only drawbacks are that it is not easy to buy the right shade from the drug store the first time, and I don't like having to stick my finger into the little jar to apply it. It should come with a little paddle to scoop it out with.
If you ever used a pore minimizer, such as Clinique's, this makeup has a texture like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 AM
 
2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
Reputation: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I believe I have finally settled on the perfect foundation for me. It goes on like velvet and leaves a matte, pore-free finish, and does not leave a heavy feeling on your skin. It does not melt in the hot southern climate and never irritates my contact lenses. It is L'Oreal Magic Smooth Souffle.
The only drawbacks are that it is not easy to buy the right shade from the drug store the first time, and I don't like having to stick my finger into the little jar to apply it. It should come with a little paddle to scoop it out with.
If you ever used a pore minimizer, such as Clinique's, this makeup has a texture like that.
I liked the coverage with the L's Smooth Souffle too... but I also didn't like contaminating the jar either. I also noticed that it tended to transfer (I found it on my toddler's clothing)

Someone up thread mentioned the Revlon ColorStay - it's pretty good stuff for a "drugstore brand" - so I use it sometimes as my everyday make-up. I tried the Revlon Age Defying and it was horrible (not sure why it went on so weird on my skin)

I do use prescription RetinaA to try and get the surface of my skin in the best shape possible before putting make-up on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
Reputation: 6404
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytibby View Post
Its not a so called foundation, but sometimes I use Aveda tinted moisturizer. Usually I just use a moisturizer.
Aveda rocks. I use their concealer instead of foundation. I put in only on dark spots on my face. It looks great and I get compliments on my skin when I'm wearing it. People are always surprised when I say "my skin is not perfect, I'm wearing makeup!" That's how great that stuff is.

Hey I just realized my acne cleared up!

My skin has a lot of oil, and I had horrible acne after I decided to leave my husband and stopped using birth control (yay I hated polluting my goddess body with chemicals). I just realized my skin has been awesome for what, a year...and I barely even noticed. Anyway, I digress. I recommend Aveda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 AM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I am also in the primer camp. I use the Sephora perfecting ultra smoothing.

Does the Stila illuminating have shimmer in it? I had a Clinique rep suggest the supermoisture foundation to me since my skin is so dry right now, and I bought it not realizing it had shimmer/almost glitter in it. It's also really sheer, I need a light/med coverage.

Question for all: do all illuminating foundations have actual shimmer in them? Where you can see glittery pieces if you look up close? I've just started getting into foundations so I don't know. I like that glowy look but not that teenybopper shine.

Also suggestions for acne-prone skin? I tend to react to almost everything.
I notice some are more glittery than others. The nyx liquid I use looks fresh but not glittery at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Stuck on the East Coast, hoping to head West
3,785 posts, read 8,760,113 times
Reputation: 7334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I have the same problem with dry skin and wintertime. Another poster, ImportersWife, recommended the Alpha Hydrox line, and so far it has been great. It has helped get rid of the dry, dead layer, and my face does look more healthy and glowy. You might try it too.

Sorry to have taken the thread off topic, but having newer skin does affect foundation choice!
Thanks for the suggestion--I'll check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top