U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,726,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Nordstrom's lingerie saleswomen are specially trained bra fitters. At some point in my youth, I was fitted and told how to fit myself:

Measure yourself just -under- the bust, against the ribcage, around your back. That will be your back size - the "number" part of your bra size.

Now measure right at the nipple, around your back. You shouldn't be pressing hard, the measuring tape should stay put but not dig in at all. This number will be higher than the first number.

For each number higher, add one cup size. So - if the first size is 34, and the second size is 35, that's a 1-inch difference: an A cup. If the number is 34 vs. 36, that's a 2-inch difference: a B cup. 3 inches is C, 4 inches is D, 5 inches is either DD or E, depending on the manufacturer and the country (USA manufacturers typically call an E, a double-D, and an F, a triple-D. Europe sizing is D, E, and F, respectively).

So if I were to wear a maidenform, I'd be a 36DDD. When I buy a European-made bra, I wear a 36F. It's the exact same size, with different naming conventions.
I was fitted by Nordstrom as well. Victoria's Secret sucks. They don't go above a DD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 01:05 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,416,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
If so many women are wearing the wrong size, why don't department stores carry cup sizes bigger than a DDD? I know I'm wearing the wrong size. But I've yet to find a store that has larger cup sizes. Don't have a home computer and I can't search at work (blocked) for any specialty stores in my area. Very frustrating!
Dillards carry larger cup sizes. This is where I get most of my bras from.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
The problem with the +4/5 inches method is that it never seems to be true. The lady in the OP picture I posted was wearing a manufacturer that follows that method (though was in a cup that was far too small) and her breasts are hanging halfway down her torso in it.

And I completely disagree that a proper quality bra should handle washings after single use unless you are rotating between 20 different bras. Bras aren't like other articles of clothing, they are engineered for support and for your specific shape and size. That's why they don't come in small, medium, large, those little differences matter and something with that much responsibility shouldn't be tossed into the wash like a pair of dirty panties.

Maybe you sweat enough that you have to wash after one use, I don't know, but I imagine most people don't get that dirty during their routine day. It's like jeans. I don't wash those unless they're actually dirty or they've been through several wears. Doesn't matter how high quality they are, you wash them too much and they're going to fall apart on you.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM

236 posts, read 723,609 times
Ideally, to keep the fancy delicate bras in good condition, they ought to be handwashed in a basin, and then hung to dry, just like in the olden days. But who the heck has time for that nowadays? The padding in so many of today's bras also I think should get a long soak too, so handwashing would be more difficult. The delicate cycle on the washing machine doesn't really seem to be all that "delicate" on the clothes either!

Maybe I should use actual lingerie detergent instead of regular detergent. Does anyone here stick to a specific lingerie detergent that they like?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:23 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
The problem with the +4/5 inches method is that it never seems to be true. The lady in the OP picture I posted was wearing a manufacturer that follows that method (though was in a cup that was far too small) and her breasts are hanging halfway down her torso in it.

And I completely disagree that a proper quality bra should handle washings after single use unless you are rotating between 20 different bras. Bras aren't like other articles of clothing, they are engineered for support and for your specific shape and size. That's why they don't come in small, medium, large, those little differences matter and something with that much responsibility shouldn't be tossed into the wash like a pair of dirty panties.

Maybe you sweat enough that you have to wash after one use, I don't know, but I imagine most people don't get that dirty during their routine day. It's like jeans. I don't wash those unless they're actually dirty or they've been through several wears. Doesn't matter how high quality they are, you wash them too much and they're going to fall apart on you.
I tried to figure out my size by measuring at home, and it was completely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
Ideally, to keep the fancy delicate bras in good condition, they ought to be handwashed in a basin, and then hung to dry, just like in the olden days. But who the heck has time for that nowadays? The padding in so many of today's bras also I think should get a long soak too, so handwashing would be more difficult. The delicate cycle on the washing machine doesn't really seem to be all that "delicate" on the clothes either!

Maybe I should use actual lingerie detergent instead of regular detergent. Does anyone here stick to a specific lingerie detergent that they like?
No, but I use the delicate cycle and a lingerie bag.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,817,391 times
When I was in my senior year of high school, I developed a really bad back problem that bothered me for months before I told my mother about it. She took me to the doctor, who informed me that I was wearing an ill-fitting bra. Although it looked fine, but he suggested I get professionally fitted, and only wear bras with an underwire.

I was fitted at a department store and I went from a 32B to a 34C. "Miraculously" the aching back problem vanished. It's over 30 years later and I'm still a 34C, and have never had back problems again.

There are several brands and models that I wear all the time because they fit well and look good under my clothing. So whenever I find those bras on sale, I stock up. I stumbled upon a going-out-of-business sale a couple years ago where they were selling the very bras I like most; they had them discounted from original prices of $70-100 apiece to $4.99-6.99! I scooped up 13 fantastic bras for the price of one.

In addition to the great deal, it's been very economical having so many because they don't get quickly worn out with frequent wearing and washing, so they look good longer.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM

184 posts, read 584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
Ideally, to keep the fancy delicate bras in good condition, they ought to be handwashed in a basin, and then hung to dry, just like in the olden days. But who the heck has time for that nowadays?
if you have time to do anything on the internet, or watch television, or read a book, you probably have time to handwash a bra. it doesn't exactly take an hour to do.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 AM

2,600 posts, read 536,851 times
Even knowing what size I am doesn't help me find a good bra since most of the cuts still lead to spillage on top or on the side regardless of size. The bra that I like the best is actually a sports bra that I wear to the gym. It's a fuller cut. I'd wear it as a regular bra except that it has seams in front that show through a T-shirt. Does anyone wear sports bras as a regular bra? If so, what brand do you recommend?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Yeah to people who say they've tried the band/cup/inches method and learned they were wrong:

You weren't wrong. The bra you're trying on is wrong. Manufacturers don't all conform to the *correct* sizing conventions. Some go by their own convoluted notion of what customers want emotionally, rather than what they need physiologically.

If your *measurements* prove that you are a 36B, then that is your actual size. It is YOUR size - not the bra's size. Different manufacturers will produce different bras and call them different sizes. But the one that has the band that's 35.5-36.5 inches around at the band (elastic giving room to stretch), and 2 inches bigger in the cup, IS a 36B - regardless of what they call it.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Even knowing what size I am doesn't help me find a good bra since most of the cuts still lead to spillage on top or on the side regardless of size. The bra that I like the best is actually a sports bra that I wear to the gym. It's a fuller cut. I'd wear it as a regular bra except that it has seams in front that show through a T-shirt. Does anyone wear sports bras as a regular bra? If so, what brand do you recommend?
Then you're wearing the wrong size. The proper size in cup and band will cause no spillage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty