Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
He's trying to call you out on being a hypocrite but didn't work this time.
She never answered. Perhaps she thinks it's a vegetable? Like an animal vegetable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
OK the answer is this. NOTHING in this day and age needs to be tested on animals. Not medicine, and certainly not make up. I don't chose companies that do this.

When it comes to cosmetics, some companies are worse than others. Some are known to perform needes repetitive and excrutiating tests on animals and are the worst offenders. L'oreal is one of. if not the worst.

With any commercial, advertised company, there is a risk that a single ingrediant comes from a place where it was tested on animals. Just because that is true, and by chance I use something unbeknownst to me that was tested on animals, I am still reducing harm in chosinh companies that in general make an effort NOT to test on animals, and avoiding completely companies who do not care at all.

My goal is to put them out of business. It has become fashionable to be compassionate! Each year more celebrities announce that they are vegan or vegetarian. Fur coats are a rarity on any celebrity who is under 65. I really think we all becoming more compassionate as a society.

Test free cosmetics can be found at Whole Foods, for example. Most are made from ingredients so pure that no test - or torture is needed.
I'm calling BS on that one. Whatever drugs I or my loved ones need to take better be tested and retested and retested and retested every way possible. New drugs are created every day and look at how many make it onto the market only to be recalled. There are already dangers that slip through the cracks and you want pull out the safety net completely to spare some squeaky mice and fuzzy bunnies? Nope. No way.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I'm calling BS on that one. Whatever drugs I or my loved ones need to take better be tested and retested and retested and retested every way possible. New drugs are created every day and look at how many make it onto the market only to be recalled. There are already dangers that slip through the cracks and you want pull out the safety net completely to spare some squeaky mice and fuzzy bunnies? Nope. No way.

It's not just bunnies and mice anymore. I don't believe the medicines being recalled are because of lack of tesing on animals. I believe it's because of lack of testing on humans.

Honestly what good is any testing when the drugs do nothing to cure anything? IMO, half the drugs on the market today shouldn't be in existence.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nope.
I would rather they test on animal than experiment with the general population.

IMO that has already been done and it caused obesity and diabetes, which led a multitrillion dollar cash flow for doctors, facilities, etc etc. It started when they wondered what the pancreas was for. Today they now know but I remember when it wasn't known. Now I believe they knew but tested it in the food on the general population.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
It's not just bunnies and mice anymore. I don't believe the medicines being recalled are because of lack of tesing on animals. I believe it's because of lack of testing on humans.

Honestly what good is any testing when the drugs do nothing to cure anything? IMO, half the drugs on the market today shouldn't be in existence.
I'm sure all the folks taking meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, thyroid irregularities, Depression, Alzheimer's, lupus, diabetes, crohns disease, cancer, and the many many bacterial infections that become drug resistant and kill if left untreated appreciate your analysis of the prescription drug industry.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I'm sure all the folks taking meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, thyroid irregularities, Depression, Alzheimer's, lupus, diabetes, crohns disease, cancer, and the many many bacterial infections that become drug resistant and kill if left untreated appreciate your analysis of the prescription drug industry.
So what's your point, exactly? This says nothing about the lack of human testing that I pointed out.

For your information one of the drugs for one of the diseases you listed has been recalled, one of them was reported on the news a few months ago. There was another drug recalled that I didn't see on the news but my Doctor's office informed me of it. There could be more that I am not aware of but I am as far as at least two. So look what good it did to deliberately give the animals the illness just to test the drugs on them for at least one of the illnesses you listed. Had there been more human testing for a longer period of time they would not have gotten to the public to end up being recalled. The drug Companies are not interested in cures because there's no long term profit in it.

Getting back to the OP. IMO, it does no good to test it on animals when the economy is so bad that the Companies are cutting costs in ingredients and quality. The quality of makeup seems to have declined even with animal testing so what good is it to spend the money on animal testing when they cheapen it by cutting back on good quality ingredients and end up selling a product not worth buying tested or not.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:27 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I know lots of people who have participated in clinical trials for drugs. They were not mistreated at all, and they are usually compensated. Plus, most have said they felt like they had done something important that would help others.

There was no brain-washing. It just might not be something you'd choose to do, so you don't understand it. But many willingly and enthusiastically choose to to it.
And all of those trials were done first on animals and then on humans for a reason.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Every thing that Moosketeer said.

Good thing some people think they are so much more important than everything or anyone else cuz I sure don't. Lets test stuff on mean arrogant people!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Every thing that Moosketeer said.

Good thing some people think they are so much more important than everything or anyone else cuz I sure don't. Lets test stuff on mean arrogant people!
But, but...you think you're better than mean, arrogant people?

Old 01-16-2012, 04:39 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
So, you'd rather have something not tested; in other words, tested on you...?
At least I'd have a say in the matter, animals do not! Sheesh, either pay people to test products or don't do any testing at all! Animals are not here to test products we probably don't really need. It's cruel and certainly DOES NOT benefit the animal at all!

So, yes, I avoid companies that test their products on animals - DUH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty