Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you rather be?
Curvy 84 46.93%
Slim 95 53.07%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Even aesthetics have reasons behind them. The reason I put emphasis on the WHR is because it is what defines a curvy silhouette. If you're looking at a silhouette of a woman straight on, her bust usually doesn't factor into the image at all. That's why some people don't even consider breast size when defining body shapes, they compare hips, waist, and shoulders. I see large breasts the same as large butts; they can certainly enhance the curviness of a figure, but they can't make an uncurvy figure curvy.
And I think you need to have a shapely bust to be considered curvy.

If I see a woman with a small-ish waist but no hips and no bust, I really just don't consider her curvy, but rather slim.

Like I said, it's a personal definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 04:47 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,770,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And I think you need to have a shapely bust to be considered curvy.

If I see a woman with a small-ish waist but no hips and no bust, I really just don't consider her curvy, but rather slim.

Like I said, it's a personal definition.
The woman I posted had a large bust and full hips but you said she wasn't curvy.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
The woman I posted had a large bust and full hips but you said she wasn't curvy.
Because her hips were MUCH larger than her bust. She was pear shaped. I think there has to be a certain balance between bust and hips with a smaller waist.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Because her hips were MUCH larger than her bust. She was pear shaped. I think there has to be a certain balance between bust and hips with a smaller waist.
But why? Curves are curves whether they're the curves of a bowling pin or the curves of an hourglass. I know it's just your opinion but I'm asking you to take some time and consider why you hold the opinion you do and what backs it up as true.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:29 PM

25,792 posts, read 21,942,589 times
Women, just like men, are limited since there are three body types and nothing other than surgery, if that, can change the body type. I learned about these 3 types years and years ago so this thread does not compute. Take a look and read about body types: The Different Female Body Types and Shapes | Marci Lall | Fitness | Weight Loss | Nutrition | Self Improvement

"Curvy" isn't fat or heavy so the poll did not make any sense to me.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
But why? Curves are curves whether they're the curves of a bowling pin or the curves of an hourglass. I know it's just your opinion but I'm asking you to take some time and consider why you hold the opinion you do and what backs it up as true.
Why do I have to 'prove' my opinion to be true to you? It's an OPINION and therefore is true to me, it really doesn't matter how you feel about it.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,298,140 times
Lol.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Why do I have to 'prove' my opinion to be true to you? It's an OPINION and therefore is true to me, it really doesn't matter how you feel about it.

I think you're cool and all, but your definition of curvy conveniently applies only to women who look like you. I was trying to see if I had it wrong, see if there was some reasonable argument to support your opinion. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, but generally when you post in a discussion board, it's because you're interested in having a discussion.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:

I think you're cool and all, but your definition of curvy conveniently applies only to women who look like you. I was trying to see if I had it wrong, see if there was some reasonable argument to support your opinion. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, but generally when you post in a discussion board, it's because you're interested in having a discussion.
I did participate in the discussion, explained why I feel the way I do, and was called out as having an incorrect opinion. I believe a curvy woman has a larger bust to balance out her hips and create a more hourglass shape. As for it being my 'body type', you wouldn't consider me curvy because my waist to hip ratio isn't good enough to be considered 'curvy' by your standards. It's just personal perception and opinion, nothing more. Some people consider a woman curvy if she has big hips and a small waist, some will consider her curvy if she's busty with narrow hips, some people don't consider anyone who is thin to be curvy regardless of body shape.

It all comes down to personal definitions.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,704,519 times
So as not to cause any embarrassing situations, I always carry a tape measure, calipers and spreadsheet with me to gauge every woman I meet so I don't EVER call a woman curvy incorrectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty