U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,978,274 times

Advertisements

What products or tricks do you know of for teenage acne on chest/back (girls).

We have tried the acne body washes by Neutrogena & Proactive, Stridex pads, bar soap, ect.

Anyone have suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Added note: She does not have oily skin.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:23 PM

2,581 posts, read 3,141,406 times
Do your daughter a huge favor, and make an appointment with a dermatologist. She will be grateful to you for the rest of her life.

This type of acne is due to hormones. Topical washes will almost never control it, and at a minimum you should be trying washes with benzoyl peroxide + antibiotics or sulfur containing washes. The best ones are by prescription only. But the effective treatments are birth control pills or spironolactone, which will manage the hormone issues. Antibiotic pills work less well for this type of acne.

Your health insurance will cover these treatments for her.

I recommend considering birth control pills, as spironolactone will require intermittent blood monitoring (infrequent). This might actually be a good doorway to start talking about about these personal issues/safe sex, if you haven't already.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:56 PM

I think it's hormones, too. The thing is, she is only 13, so BC pills is NOT what I want to do. Maybe if she was older......
I set up an appt. with her doctor, we will see what she says. I hope there is something they can do for her. I just want to be sure I covered all my bases here at home.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:06 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,173,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
What products or tricks do you know of for teenage acne on chest/back (girls).

We have tried the acne body washes by Neutrogena & Proactive, Stridex pads, bar soap, ect.

Anyone have suggestions?
That Proactive body wash works pretty well. My sister and I both use it. Even Dove soap seems to do the trick for me.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:14 PM

2,581 posts, read 3,141,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I think it's hormones, too. The thing is, she is only 13, so BC pills is NOT what I want to do. Maybe if she was older......
I set up an appt. with her doctor, we will see what she says. I hope there is something they can do for her. I just want to be sure I covered all my bases here at home.
Of course that is your choice. I will warn you that it will get worse as she gets older, so maybe by then you/she will be comfortable considering other options.

Usually primary care doctors are not very helpful. They see it as a normal part of being a kid, and try to minimize the issue. But let me tell you most girls do not have this type of acne so you feel very self conscious if you do.

I'll warn you that if the things you have tried so far haven't helped, any topicals that your doctor prescribes will only be marginally better. She will also have to be religious with them, and will struggle with some peeling and irritation as part of the side effects. One option is daily/twice a day benzoyl peroxide washes + antibiotic or sulfur washes as I mentioned before and when that doesn't work you can try adding topical retin-A. All of these are prescriptions. It requires quite a bit of work/dedication, and may not improve for months. Again, I recommend a dermatologist to help you, as they will prescribe much better and give better advice for the long term.

Dermatologists will recommend the Cetaphil line of liquid soap (for face), and their lotions which do not exacerbate the acne.

If they start talking to you about something like Accutane which has potentially toxic side effects, I think that is the wrong way to go. Prescribing a teenager a hormone pill to treat acne, that has a side effect of preventing pregnancy, is pretty sweet in comparison.

Last edited by sfcambridge; 01-15-2012 at 05:58 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

If they start talking to you about something like Accutane which has potentially toxic side effects, I think that is the wrong way to go. Prescribing a teenager a hormone pill to treat acne, that has a side effect of preventing pregnancy, is pretty sweet in comparison.
Not really...but anyway...

How is her diet? Does she shower 2x a day? Does she use a fresh cloth/scrubbie in the shower everytime? Does she keep her sheets clean? How much processed food does she eat? Does she rinse the conditioner for hair AWAY from her body and not down her back. (that last one can be a HUGE reason it happens)

I think its best to attack it with healthy habits first before going to extremes.

I agree with what was stated about using ben.peroxide based products. There are two cheaper store brands: acnefree and panoxyl. Panoxyl has a very high b.p. concentration. The bottled version is best. If her skin gets dry use 100%
pure aloe to moisturize. (oil free and treats acne)

Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 AM

Thank you. We have tried Acnefree but not panoxyl. I never thought of using aloe & didn't know it helped acne! I'm going to pick some up today!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 AM

917 posts, read 1,702,306 times
I agree about watching what she eats. She should eat more fruits and veggies and limit sweets and refined carbs.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,765,737 times
I would urge the trip to the dermatologist as well. I've had acne my whole life, from the time I hit puberty. Not really bad acne, but enough to be embarrassed about. I still have it at 57, even tho I'm using some topical ointment prescribed by a dermatologist. Maybe if I'd had access to a dermatologist as a teen, I'd have been saved a lifetime of feeling bad about how I looked.

Best of thoughts to you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty