Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I think having a Virginia makes someone a real woman.....
I think you are on to something-haha.

Does wearing high heels make a drag queen a "real woman"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I think it's less about vanity. Did you know there are women in the middle east wearing designer high heels under their burkas? I saw a news story about it awhile back. Do you think they are wearing the heels to be vain or sexy? For them, it is one of the few fashion areas where they are allowed the power of creative feminine self-expression.
Yes, I know, I was in Kuwait years ago, shops there sell everything. But I think it is simply a way of compensating for the oppression and emulating the West, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That might be ok in the US, but for instance in Africa the situation is completely different. Even here in Portugal where we have lots of those typical black-white cobble-stone sidewalks and streets, few people wear high heels, even in the big cities.
Part of Disneyland is cobblestone. They posted that no high healed shoes be worn there at the gate. They had had far too many injuries. Chunky heals of moderate size, but no stilettors...

Old 01-18-2012, 12:22 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Do you have to carry luggage around with you all day to haul those shoes? God Damn!
LOL.... I carry them around in various oversized hobo bags.... Don't even get me started about handbags, another topic I like to talk about! This is the Fashion forum after all.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Right, because you can say what all women in your country are like based on your small city and you can say what all women of the world are like because you've met women from different countries.

Perhaps the women of Portugal or India or wherever you like are more beautiful or more feminine or more down to earth than the women of other countries, but if you are representative of the men then I will gladly stay right where I am.
I did not say I was speaking for all women in this country. But I have been to Lisbon and Porto, too. The dress code in this country is simply quite different from, say, Britain, except for teenagers maybe many of whom also wear sneakers like in the US.
In India they also have a completely different dress code than in the West. It is not my opinion, it is fact. Just go there if you don't believe me.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Part of Disneyland is cobblestone. They posted that no high healed shoes be worn there at the gate. They had had far too many injuries. Chunky heals of moderate size, but no stilettors...
Doesn't surprise me. I am a man wearing normal flat shoes and I almost fell at least half a dozen times because of those irregular cobble stones

Old 01-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know, I was in Kuwait years ago, shops there sell everything. But I think it is simply a way of compensating for the oppression and emulating the West, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.
I found the most beautiful suede high heels I own in a store window in Morocco (either Tangier or Rabat can't remember). I could not believe the beautiful shoes sold in this Muslim country. Most women wearing burkas, few women dining out in public, yet unbelievably beautiful high heels sold in the shops. The women wore beautiful shoes under their burkas.

My point is that there are many reasons, other than vanity, for wearing high heels.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I did not say I was speaking for all women in this country. But I have been to Lisbon and Porto, too. The dress code in this country is simply quite different from, say, Britain, except for teenagers maybe many of whom also wear sneakers like in the US.
In India they also have a completely different dress code than in the West. It is not my opinion, it is fact. Just go there if you don't believe me.
What exactly is your point? Do you hate high heels on women?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
What exactly is your point? Do you hate high heels on women?
Hate is a strong word, but I definitely don't like it when women wear high heels. Just like I don't like it when women smoke or wear a lot of make-up. They are just not my cup of tea...

Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Right, because you can say what all women in your country are like based on your small city and you can say what all women of the world are like because you've met women from different countries.

Perhaps the women of Portugal or India or wherever you like are more beautiful or more feminine or more down to earth than the women of other countries, but if you are representative of the men then I will gladly stay right where I am.
Where I live now, there's 9 to ten k. People do not dress up. Dress up here is thrift shop in the ritzy parts of socal where I used to live. But then I am very comfortable here since I've always dressed for comfort.

In summer I live in sandals (earthshoe types, no heals) and winter furry boots. I have a great liking for boots so the less warm even get worn in summer sometimes. I don't own any normal 'shoes'.

Once upon a time, I did seating at the Comicon banquet. I had a ritzy dress and bought the only pair of 'dress' shoes I ever had. The heals were not high but I stumbled my way through, then after it was done, went up to the room and took them off, picked up a pair of slippers, and left barefoot for the dance. The hotel said you had to have shoes and nobody insisted I wear them. Danced on naked feet all night... Gave the shoes to a thift store when I went home.

So far as womanhood, I have all the parts. If some guy has to have heals and a spiffy dress to be attracted then he isn't interested in me. If fringy boots and jeans and such work then we've got some possibilities. Women who dress to fit some image that is supplied and programmed need to sit and look at themselves. If you really like the heals and fancy dress, great, because its YOU. If your doing it because its 'expected' then take some time to look inside. I learned a great lesson. Be yourself. If its not the 'fashion' then still be yourself and you'll feel a whole lot better than pretending will let you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty