U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2012, 09:04 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,606,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You're denying anorexia has been and is still a problem in the modelling industry?
Never said that. I was replying to

"I don't find people literally dying to be skinny to look 'good' funny either."

I typed that, your statement was a misconception [stating 'people' as in, you've gathered and analyzed facts to support your implying statement, that people all over are becoming anorexic] and was full of rhetoric [dying to be skinny].

Also, you probably mean fashion industry [or even more inclusive, media], as 'modeling' industry incorporates fitness models, store-brand models, etc... to include runway models (which, is part of the fashion industry).

You might do well starting off by reading this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_955497.html
and this: http://www.eating-disorders.org.uk/m...disorders.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,606,737 times
Ok, you can admit that I tear your worthless arguments and statements to bits now.

I'm off to bang my 'average size' partner.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,244,699 times
Models are just meant to be coat hangers, the designer just wants a certain look the clothes are what is important but those girls make a lot of money, i'm not sure it is as glamorous as it seems.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 PM

3,518 posts, read 2,889,179 times
Quote:
Photo-shopped? That's a gem. What about the videos?

If you truly are healthy than good for you. I'm just calling it as I see it. A very big percentage of those models do not look healthy to me, nor do I find their look attractive. Shame on the fashion people for encouraging that, but they should be smarter. The problem is that a lot of little girls still base all their self-worth and identity on being beautiful. Lots of intelligent girls who are pressured...
What videos? I've seen plenty of runway shows and, certainly, every model is thin but the ones who are clearly sickly are in the minority.

You're just calling it as you see it, but you didn't say what you see. What specifically makes you think that model you posted is ill? What about her body differs from mine, which you said looks perfectly normal?

We've already established you don't find models attractive and we've already established that nobody gives a hoot. It is not a model's job to get your juices flowing.

Shame on the fashion industry for what? For liking the way tall, thin women look in clothes? And shame on the horse racing industry for promoting short, thin men as jockeys! Tall, large men can race horses! And shame on the NBA for only drafting very tall men! It's discrimination and is driving people to hate themselves!

Give me a break. What makes you think that putting down one body type is going to make others feel better?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:25 PM

24,693 posts, read 19,088,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
What videos? I've seen plenty of runway shows and, certainly, every model is thin but the ones who are clearly sickly are in the minority.

You're just calling it as you see it, but you didn't say what you see. What specifically makes you think that model you posted is ill? What about her body differs from mine, which you said looks perfectly normal?

We've already established you don't find models attractive and we've already established that nobody gives a hoot. It is not a model's job to get your juices flowing.

Shame on the fashion industry for what? For liking the way tall, thin women look in clothes? And shame on the horse racing industry for promoting short, thin men as jockeys! Tall, large men can race horses! And shame on the NBA for only drafting very tall men! It's discrimination and is driving people to hate themselves!

Give me a break. What makes you think that putting down one body type is going to make others feel better?
Jockeys are born that way. While some models are born on the thin side, even THEY are expected to diet...The majority of models have to starve themselves considerably to obtain that look, which you obviously think is perfectly fine. Ribs showing, nothing but skin on the limbs...you think these girls are healthy?

If no one criticized the fashion industry or obese people then certain ruthless individuals will just take advantage of people...it seems these people don't give a hoot because they still keep insisting on coat-hanger like frames, some of them don't care about animals being skinned alive to make fur coats either.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 PM

3,518 posts, read 2,889,179 times
Quote:
Jockeys are born that way. While some models are born on the thin side, even THEY are expected to diet...The majority of models have to starve themselves considerably to obtain that look, which you obviously think is perfectly fine. Ribs showing, nothing but skin on the limbs...you think these girls are healthy?

If no one criticized the fashion industry or obese people then certain ruthless individuals will just take advantage of people...it seems these people don't give a hoot because they still keep insisting on coat-hanger like frames, some of them don't care about animals being skinned alive to make fur coats either.
I'll ask again, what specifically did you think made that model look unhealthy? What about her body differed from mine, which you said looked fine?

What is wrong with liking the way clothes look on tall, thin women?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM

24,693 posts, read 19,088,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I'll ask again, what specifically did you think made that model look unhealthy? What about her body differed from mine, which you said looked fine?

What is wrong with liking the way clothes look on tall, thin women?
Come on, you don't see the difference? She's noticeably thinner than you. Anyone else here care to comment? Look at how her thighs look, there's absolutely no fat on them, they're as thin as her already super skinny calves/shins. Or her arms...the only thing I can say is that at least her ribs aren't showing - yet, her torso is tiny. Of course she hardly has breasts, either.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 AM

10,991 posts, read 9,494,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
As an overweight woman,that is very demeaning what you wrote.
And you are a woman.
We women are supposed to stick together.

To be fair,how is being thin as in (supermodel thin) any different than a woman who is 180 pounds with 36E breasts,like Christina Henricks,the woman from mad men who I keep hearing represents the average woman,when in reality she doesn't ?

They both don't,repeat,DON'T represent the average woman.
As a matter of fact,the model type thiness is more attainable to me than Christina Hendricks body type,because while you can diet and exercise to get that thin,one couldn't really have Christinas body type.
I can't understand what you mean, or how on earth you were offended! Are you saying that you are offended because I answered the question that was posed by the OP, and I responded that I found their body type to be unappealing? Do I need to like the "super model" body in order to show solidarity with you, an over weight woman? This is confusing.

In essence, what I said is that this one type of body is not attractive to me. I was referring to the extremely tall and thin bodies of most high fashion models. What is annoying to me, is that many teenaged girls feel "less than" because the have body types other than this extreme "ideal."

I have only seen "Madmen" a few times. I don't have HBO. I don't know what Christina Hendricks looks like. However, the question was not about Christina Hendricks.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:13 AM

551 posts, read 572,001 times
Quote:
I'm a straight male...I like a well-proportioned woman, but I find most catwalk models look out of proportion.

Not only the obvious skinniness. Which makes their head look too big. But also I think some of them have legs that are too long, exacerbated by how skinny they are. I like long legs, but theirs are just TOO long, they look out of proportion. Like they're wearing stilts or something.

To be honest I prefer the body shape of the average woman than the average catwalk model.
I think that the New York models do many times look out of proportion because they are too skinny. But it is a different culture for the fashion model business since many of the clothes there are more of an art show, not there to model clothes that normal people buy. I went to NYC and many of them are most definitely pretty but they still look sickly. I think it is great to be skinny because we have an obesity epidemic in this country but I still think the models still feel too skinny that they look out of proportion of what is healthy.

That is just my opinion so if you're a model, please don't get angry at me. I still think models are beautiful irregardless and you're already healthier than many Americans are

Old 01-22-2012, 05:51 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,332,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I can't understand what you mean, or how on earth you were offended! Are you saying that you are offended because I answered the question that was posed by the OP, and I responded that I found their body type to be unappealing? Do I need to like the "super model" body in order to show solidarity with you, an over weight woman? This is confusing.

In essence, what I said is that this one type of body is not attractive to me. I was referring to the extremely tall and thin bodies of most high fashion models. What is annoying to me, is that many teenaged girls feel "less than" because the have body types other than this extreme "ideal."

I have only seen "Madmen" a few times. I don't have HBO. I don't know what Christina Hendricks looks like. However, the question was not about Christina Hendricks.
You said "scary and mannish" in your first posts.
That is so offensive for one woman to say to another woman.

Idk really why people keep saying this body type is considered the ideal.
No its not.

What is considered the ideal is slim frames with
Large breasts.
Or
The toned look.
That's a body types that I see pushed on young girls,not so much the thin model type.

What,btw,is the "average woman"?
The average size woman in the Usa is a size 14.

So if average is size 14,do you guys mean you prefer overweight women?

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 01-22-2012 at 06:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty