U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-24-2012, 03:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,177,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What if the paying job necessitates casual to jeans-wear clothing? I trust you make an exception for that.

Chamy if you make it out to The Getty for a weekend you are going to fall over from shock when you see how men in L.A. dress.
Dew, totally understand. The person maybe doing a physical job - perfect example would be networking guys doing fibre optics, switches and routers, satellite corrections and field engineers - especially geologists/archaeologists working with terrain - will look odd if he is scoping the terrain in suits and a white shirt

But hear me out here. Here's what I deal with.

On an average day at work, I'm calling for a cross-functional working session. I'm collecting business heads and IT heads and their key IT guys in one room. I was an IT guy myself until mid-20s (I was a preppy dude even then)....

So, a conference room with projectors and the whole nine yards. There are folks from other places too, videoconferencing... and now, this is a fairly big deal.

Everyone's well dressed. In come the IT guys, like construction workers coming into a ballroom:

1. Shabby hair
2. No tie
3. Randomly checked shirt or worse, tees on Friday
4. Cargo pants and jeans
5. Sketcher shoes, even Nike

The funniest thing is that they think they are being cool

I took it once, twice, then had a chat with their managers to make them look good. And they got the memo. This is not even coming to work, you are coming to a discussion and you represent your department like this?? And it's a distraction to others. No wonder everybody says IT guys are slobs. Even in New York, a city which prides itself in clothing

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 01-24-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 03:56 PM

2,010 posts, read 1,488,188 times
[quote=Coolhand68;22684683]I can't tell you how many guys I see in my age range (mid to late 30's to mid 40's) walking around with baseball caps on backwards, a sports jersey or under armour workout tee, and sweats or frumpy jeans. Either that or it's baggy cargo shorts and flip-flops. We're talking just outside Boston and all the way to NYC. I see them at malls, department stores, restaurants, places of business etc. I feel like slapping the ball cap off their heads, stomping on their knurly toes with corn chips for toenails, and telling them to grow up.

Grown men shouldn't be wearing sports jerseys unless they are going to the game, at a picnic where a game may break out, or participating in that actual sport. Hat on backwards screams douche, hat on sideways...you should be tazed on sight.

White socks with dark pants...don't do it!

Thick pin striped double-breasted suits with gaudy ties such as the ones worn by Deion Sanders, Shannon Sharpe, and Co., unless you're auditioning for a part in Guys and Dolls, you like like a buffoon.

Dad Jeans...break down and get yourself a pair of nice fitting dark jeans. They don't have to cost a fortune, even Levi's has reasonably priced jeans to update your look. Whatever you do, don't be a 40 year old male walking around in any hip-hop inspired clothing with tacky logos that are four sizes too big. Actually, all hip-hop fashion just looks cartoonish to me.

Shorts should not come all the way down to the middle of your shins with a long white tee that comes halfway down your thigh. The "just got out of prison" look is not cool.

Sleeveless shirts...I guess it's alright if you're a farmer or a biker, aside from that, why?

Skinny jeans, one of the worst fashion disasters ever. No one looks good in these things. No one![/quote

You just saved me a bunch of typing. Tou are correct,SIR!

Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,177,740 times
And you run into an IT guy who says, "I've been in the Unix kernel for 200 years, ever since I graduated from Virginia tech"

Well, there's a reason you're sitting in the same spot bottom feeding, collecting post-it notes and microchip wall posters and doing the same junk work somebody wants you to deliver by 5pm at gun point, coz there's a major severity 1 production problem....

Old 01-24-2012, 04:27 PM

4,348 posts, read 2,184,187 times
This thread just proves that sometimes it pays to be self-involved and not notice what other people are wearing or doing. I've just got a question for everyone on this thread. Outside of work, why should these guys appease all of you? I can understand looking your best for work but outside of that who are you trying to impress.

If there isn't a dress code or law in place people can dress the way they want.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:52 PM

8,867 posts, read 11,076,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Im believing more and more each day that this site is frequented by metrosexuals more than any other type. whats wrong with wearing jeans and tshirts? heck im 40 and wear tshirts illustrated with comic villains, fantasy art, fast food logos, and other various illustrations. I find it insulting for ppl to tell me im suppose to look like a lawyer or investment banker.
I wear jeans and a tee often. But at 43 I'm not wearing Abercrombie or Hollister tees, that's the jist here. Age and venue appropriate clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This thread just proves that sometimes it pays to be self-involved and not notice what other people are wearing or doing. I've just got a question for everyone on this thread. Outside of work, why should these guys appease all of you? I can understand looking your best for work but outside of that who are you trying to impress.

If there isn't a dress code or law in place people can dress the way they want.
No one needs to appease me. Two of my best friends wear nothing but sports jerseys and sports team tees and sweatshirts. I would never suggest they dress any differently unless they actually asked for my opinion. I don't think any more or less of them for how they dress. There are plenty of well dressed douchebags out there, but given the choice between dressing nicely and being a slob, well dressing appropriately for the situation and venue is important for me.

Also, to those who think it costs a fortune to dress nicely guess again. You can look sharp on a budget and find decent clothes during sales at Macy's or outlet centers. Or just shop at Searsor Khols, plenty of reasonably priced selections out there.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 AM

2,994 posts, read 1,870,050 times
Im sorry but I cant see spending what little money I have buying "nice" clothes when I have rent and other bills to pay. Even though i have non-stylish clothes i do take care of them so that they will last for years and years therefore not requiring me to buy new clothes every season. Im sorry but even at discount prices I wouldnt pay for anything in the stores these days. My wife cares more about how I treat her than what clothes I wear. As for my friends, if they cared that much about what clothes I wore then they really wouldnt be my friends now would they?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,172,941 times
Im fine if guys dressed appropriately for the right occasion and within reason. Similar to other folks, i am and IT guy for a Insurance firm. I dress business casual in my office, but have suit/tie to meetings in HQ with Business Leads/MD's sometimes C-suite. Occasionally i bring some Dev Leads to the meetings, and yeah, their suits not tailored, wear square toe shoes, etc, but at least they are in a suit and tie, and are presentable.

Works both ways too. Our IT office has jeans on Fridays, so some business leads love coming in and wearing jeans if they happen to be visiting for meeting/workshop/etc.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:52 PM

2,994 posts, read 1,870,050 times
I would wear a suit or sport coat and tie if I were going to an elegant restaurant or to the symphony but not to run down to the post office or walmart for a gallon of milk. If your main reason for going out is to find someone to bring home for sex then by all means dress up. If you simply have errands to run then dont bother. If all you live around is high class ppl then that may be a different story but if the majority of your town are blue collar workers then again I say why bother

Old 01-25-2012, 07:05 PM

666 posts, read 350,752 times
I'm not a lawyer, doctor or any other kind of "professional". I don't work in an office. I'm not over 50, I wasn't born before 1970. I will wear whatever the hell I want, I don't give a **** what you think. Anyone who thinks a MAN has to wear a suit and tie to be a MAN I don't want anything to do with them. You don't like, I don't give a flying ****.

You call it being a slob, I call it doing what I want. I don't dress for others, I dress for me however I want.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 PM

2,636 posts, read 2,609,093 times
I think it all comes down to fit. Baggy clothes that are ill-fitting make a grown man look even older, more tired, not more youthful. The older you get the more fitted your clothes should be. By fitted I don't mean tight and uncomfortable, but correct. You shouldn't be able to hide a toddler underneath your shirt. It's too baggy. The shoulder seams shouldn't sag halfway down your arms. Your pant hems shouldn't pool fabric around your ankles.

When you're older......you'll see this. It's not for anyone's sake but your own. You'll actually look younger, more fit, more energetic rather than trying to look that way by wearing sloppy clothes. Check the full length mirror when you have well-fitting clothes on. It feels good and you'll feel that way too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty