U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What body types look more attractive for both genders/more reasonable?
The painting 26 76.47%
What is idealized today 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 AM

17,642 posts, read 14,293,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's Jacques Louis David from the early 1800s. It wasn't common for the average woman at the time to shave any of her body hair, but artistic models may have so that the artist could see the entire human form.
that guy was truly ahead of his time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,197,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Dude looks like a little boy...and creepy baby faced.

Her breasts are perky because her arms are up and the other one is under the guys arm. LOL

I think she just looks fat and out of shape. Kinda like grandma body but without the excuse of really being a grandma.
That says it all.

Yes he does have a very youthful face. He may have been about 16 or so, so not fully bulked up. Still in many cultures the males are slim but muscular and sinewy - which suits the life of a hunter. Packing weight and mass is only useful for jobs that require a lot of brute strength. In the real world, such males would probably be slower because of the excess weight, and it's not necessarily such an advantage.

In the jungle, thin women would be rejected for women who have fat reserves and wide hips. Women who are a healthy weight are more fertile.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's Jacques Louis David from the early 1800s. It wasn't common for the average woman at the time to shave any of her body hair, but artistic models may have so that the artist could see the entire human form.
Always wondered about that. The men too. I don't blame him, maybe it was just hard to paint hairs! lol.

Also used to wonder about all the Italian paintings of the male form. None had any chest hair...I was thinking, aren't Italian men known for their chest hair?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:59 PM

9 posts, read 6,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Hopefully the nudity won't offend, since it's a painting:

Stumbled upon this idealized depiction of Cupid and Psyche by chance (no not the cherub baby like figure he became later)...forget mythology, what do you think of the body types portrayed in this painting? Psyche has a very womanly figure, her thighs are full but not fat, although her hips are a tad wide. Her breasts are perky but not huge (is she a teenager?). I think her figure is very appealing. As for Cupid, he is not 'buff' generally slim but muscular, his arms and legs are of natural sizes. I'm not sure if these portray adolescents or adults (Cupid's face looks young), but besides the point.

How do you think this compares to today's idea: stick think women with artificial balloon-like breasts, and bulky men who look a lot thicker than their women?

Also the comparison between male and female. Women are supposed to have curves, not be skinny with fake ****. Men are like the hulk while women are like spindly birds. At least here they seem more equal in weight. For males weight is concentrated in the muscles and for women as fat. Fat itself isn't terrible - breasts are mostly fat tissue, and a lot of the curviness comes from padding as well as frame.

Personally I prefer the depiction in this painting.
indeed, i think they look like children, as well.
the depiction is a fair assessment, i don't find them
offensive.

they could stand to tan up a bit though...but anyways..
yea they are ok to me

Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacieLove View Post
indeed, i think they look like children, as well.
the depiction is a fair assessment, i don't find them
offensive.

they could stand to tan up a bit though...but anyways..
yea they are ok to me
Yes I didn't realize they were children until just after I'd posted this thread. Well I don't think they're really children, teenagers. Not too different to adults really.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,615,011 times
I think based on the story, Cupid and Psyche were both very young.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:31 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,561,085 times
Seriously, Trimac - all your threads can be summed up as follows: "I don't get any attention from women, and that's all because women go after men who are (insert quality). With this thread I'm gonna show them how wrong they are".

Old 02-11-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Seriously, Trimac - all your threads can be summed up as follows: "I don't get any attention from women, and that's all because women go after men who are (insert quality). With this thread I'm gonna show them how wrong they are".
No ulterior motives. I did join the gym for awhile, for God's sake lol.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:57 AM

6,348 posts, read 4,355,006 times
Whomever says the woman looks fat and out of shape must be blind as a damn bat.
Besides,women are supposed to be soft,not some muscled up hard chick with muscles like a man.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 AM

6,348 posts, read 4,355,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Agree with you... To me, he looks much younger than her. He's got the body of a boy, while the woman looks like she's had a few kids with those hips/belly. He's maybe 15, she's at least 35. That's illegal...and creepy. Maybe I should read the mythology - some weird stuff. She's the original cougar.
Hips getting wide have not a thing to do with giving birth. They widen at puberty.
What belly? I'm not seeing what you are seeing. It looks flat to me. I mean its not a six pack or whatever kind of belly is now,but gosh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty