U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2012, 04:57 PM
 
295 posts, read 470,819 times
Reputation: 223

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Really? Because I don't remember ever seeing black woman/Indian woman on the cover of Maxim or Stuff or Playboy....those magazines aren't rocket science but they are men's magazines, geared towards what men find attractive. There was a huge article and controversy written on the subject of the lack of darker skinned women on magazines, you can look it up if you want. Also, I want to point out if they do put a black woman on the cover 9 times out of 10 it's someone that looks more like Halle Berry, Rihanna, Zoe Saldana than it is someone that looks like Tika Sumpter or Alek Wek. Guaranteed. Really popular shows like the old 90210, Friends, Buffy, etc. there is very little diversity on those shows. I'm not bashing asian women, white women or latina women at all, but I call it like I see it. A lot of times people (not you in particular) don't want to admit certain things because they aren't the nicest things or best things to admit -- that doesn't make them any less true. I am linking to an article about racial diversity on the covers of magazines, this is a positive one, but it still recognizes that it's a rare thing. Coming from a journalism background, I know this is a rarity as well.

Women's magazines break the mould with black and Asian cover stars | Life and style | The Guardian

I have seen black women on playboy going a far back a maybe the late 60s and i dont recall seeing any asians. as for the other mags you mentioned they all have had blacks on the covers and i dont recall any asians either on the covers or editorial. As per Indian women seldom see them in mag tv movies with the exception of Bollywood. and they too are considered asian.

 
Old 02-13-2012, 05:02 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
13,692 posts, read 15,117,815 times
Reputation: 9491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
I have seen black women on playboy going a far back a maybe the late 60s and i dont recall seeing any asians. as for the other mags you mentioned they all have had blacks on the covers and i dont recall any asians either on the covers or editorial. As per Indian women seldom see them in mag tv movies with the exception of Bollywood. and they too are considered asian.
Playboy magazine has editions suited to each market.

What they have on the cover or inside mags in the USA is dictated by social climate and cultural preference.

Playboy magazine exists in Japan with all Japanese models.

Playboy Japan centerfolds - AskMen

There are nearly 30 international editions of Playboy magazine which include women from a variety of ethnic backgrounds.

Playboy Magazine International Editions
 
Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,738 posts, read 9,583,278 times
Reputation: 7507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
I have seen black women on playboy going a far back a maybe the late 60s and i dont recall seeing any asians. as for the other mags you mentioned they all have had blacks on the covers and i dont recall any asians either on the covers or editorial. As per Indian women seldom see them in mag tv movies with the exception of Bollywood. and they too are considered asian.
I remember vanessa williams, she was light skinned and famous. There may have been another one years later. Recently? Not so much. Yes there are various versions of playboy in existence. The american one remains the standard version and that's the one I'm talking about. I'll leave it to someone else to argue Asians aren't anything (even though I recognize they aren't given any attention either). I didn't grow up looking for Asian faces on magazines/tv shows, I was looking for ones that looked like my own, sure other races of girls did the same thing.
 
Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 PM
 
84 posts, read 46,946 times
Reputation: 53
Society in general creates illusory images and since guys are visual, they really eat it up. Take a look at Tiger's ex. Remember, this woman was supposed to be so beautiful, but when you look at her now, at the tender age of 31, she looks old and ugly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...rlie-park.html

Fair skin and white women tend to age quickly, while darker women who take care of themselves, are ageless. We often look 20 well into our 40's. So we do get the last laugh in the end.
 
Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM
 
84 posts, read 46,946 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I remember vanessa williams, she was light skinned and famous. There may have been another one years later. Recently? Not so much. Yes there are various versions of playboy in existence. The american one remains the standard version and that's the one I'm talking about. I'll leave it to someone else to argue Asians aren't anything (even though I recognize they aren't given any attention either). I didn't grow up looking for Asian faces on magazines/tv shows, I was looking for ones that looked like my own, sure other races of girls did the same thing.
East Asian women do not generally receive the negative publicity that black women get. Also, they tend to get plenty of good publicity in their native countries. The majority of men, from all races consider Asian women beautiful.

Asian American women are least likely to be single and often have a very high standard of living. Juxtapose their situation with black women, who often have the lowest standard of living and are most likely to be single. In my opinion, the beauty standard is as follows:

White
White Hispanic
East Asian
Middle Eastern/Arab
Mixed Race
Colored Hispanic
South East Asian
Black/African

Just follow the money trail. The collective group of women who get the least, are often the group deemed as the least desirable, while the women who get the most, are considered the most desirable. It's really that simple. Sorry for being non politically correct.
 
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 PM
 
84 posts, read 46,946 times
Reputation: 53
I will just follow-up by stating that each woman has to determine her own destiny. I do not really believe in group politics because we are all individuals. I consider myself to be a beautiful dark woman. I am not spiteful or hateful of other women, because as I already pointed out, many of the women who are deemed as more beautiful due to their skin shade, tend to age horribly. Their best years are their 20's, ours is 20's - 60s.
 
Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,738 posts, read 9,583,278 times
Reputation: 7507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle234 View Post
East Asian women do not generally receive the negative publicity that black women get. Also, they tend to get plenty of good publicity in their native countries. The majority of men, from all races consider Asian women beautiful.

Asian American women are least likely to be single and often have a very high standard of living. Juxtapose their situation with black women, who often have the lowest standard of living and are most likely to be single. In my opinion, the beauty standard is as follows:

White
White Hispanic
East Asian
Middle Eastern/Arab
Mixed Race
Colored Hispanic
South East Asian
Black/African

Just follow the money trail. The collective group of women who get the least, are often the group deemed as the least desirable, while the women who get the most, are considered the most desirable. It's really that simple. Sorry for being non politically correct.

I agree with everything you said, especially the last paragraph! I would move mixed race women up though, men seem to like them a lot.
 
Old 02-13-2012, 06:17 PM
 
3,517 posts, read 5,443,013 times
Reputation: 5566
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
What is the standard for beauty in countries in Africa? I am sure it's not white. What about Asia? For sure rather Asian than white.

You know every person has his/her own standard of beauty. And if the majority of the population is white this standard is... white.

Same thing in Europe by the way. Maybe differences between Italy and Sweden of course but basically the same.
That isn't actually true for all countries. I know in India they covet lighter skin and eyes and I've heard similar things about the far east. I don't know anything about African cultures, though, but I suspect there is less of a saturation of western culture in Africa so the preference toward lighter skin is probably less pronounced.


Check out this commercial from India.
The kicker is the darker woman getting left for the lighter woman is Miss freaking Universe.

I think white women are held up as beautiful more often than other races in America, but part of that is because we are a predominantly white country. The representations aren't fair, but I do think most races have a good many sex symbols in the spotlight. Some of the women most touted for their beauty these days are Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian, and Halle Berry.
 
Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM
 
84 posts, read 46,946 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I agree with everything you said, especially the last paragraph! I would move mixed race women up though, men seem to like them a lot.
True, but the reason why I didn't move mixed women up on the list is because it really depends on what the mixture is and how close the woman comes to the white ideal.
 
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM
 
84 posts, read 46,946 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
That isn't actually true for all countries. I know in India they covet lighter skin and eyes and I've heard similar things about the far east. I don't know anything about African cultures, though, but I suspect there is less of a saturation of western culture in Africa so the preference toward lighter skin is probably less pronounced.


Check out this commercial from India.
The kicker is the darker woman getting left for the lighter woman is Miss freaking Universe.

I think white women are held up as beautiful more often than other races in America, but part of that is because we are a predominantly white country. The representations aren't fair, but I do think most races have a good many sex symbols in the spotlight. Some of the women most touted for their beauty these days are Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian, and Halle Berry.
Black women are not represented on your list, nor are we represented in the media (unless it's a negative portrayal). Jennifer Lopez (white Puerto Rican) , Beyonce (mixed race -creole heritage), Kim Kardashian (Armenian/Dutch heritage), Halle Berry (mixed race, black & white).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top