U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 PM

84 posts, read 47,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink tulip View Post
I will just stick with only dating African men. I never have put a relaxer on my hair and do not wear weaves. I flat iron my hair if I want it to look straight. I cannot change my race or heritage but I was never aware of American men being very racist.
The term "American men" encompasses a lot of different things. It really depends on which race/nationality you are referring to.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,595,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I think that is why there is media aimed at black people including BET, black men magazine, black movies and so on. There are many black women that are protrayed as sexy and attractive women in the media. Take Gabrielle Union, Queen Latiah, Janet Jackson, Mary J. Blige, Whitney Houston, Michelle Obama etc. In fact, I am watching BET Honors right now. They are honoring many beautiful black women on the stage tonight. Being a black women, I am proud of that.

It also depends on where you live because there are many white men open to dating black women. But it goes both ways, some black women don't find white men attractive. I won't rate them at the top but I have no problem with attraction to them.

I don't think anyone is debating there are black women on tv and on BET. BET is a black channel/network. I think what we were saying is it is not a presence in the mainstream media. Gabrielle Union or queen latifah would not be in the running for the same roles as Julia Roberts or Reese Witherspoon. And not limiting to black women, Lucy Liu and Frida Pinto can't get Julia or Reeses' roles either, LOL.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
thanks I appreciate the advice but that ship has sailed and I am not looking to date. thanks though.
I am sure you are beautiful, don't give up dating.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I think that is why there is media aimed at black people including BET, black men magazine, black movies and so on. There are many black women that are protrayed as sexy and attractive women in the media. Take Gabrielle Union, Queen Latiah, Janet Jackson, Mary J. Blige, Whitney Houston, Michelle Obama etc. In fact, I am watching BET Honors right now. They are honoring many beautiful black women on the stage tonight. Being a black women, I am proud of that.

It also depends on where you live because there are many white men open to dating black women. But it goes both ways, some black women don't find white men attractive. I won't rate them at the top but I have no problem with attraction to them.
BET is owned by viacom. Their programming is actually detrimental to black women. Don't forget that BET makes their money off of black destructive stereotypes. I do not enjoy misogynistic rap songs that label black women as b*tches and "hoes." That's just not my cup of tea.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:45 PM

4,219 posts, read 4,571,853 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is debating there are black women on tv and on BET. BET is a black channel/network. I think what we were saying is it is not a presence in the mainstream media. Gabrielle Union or queen latifah would not be in the running for the same roles as Julia Roberts or Reese Witherspoon. And not limiting to black women, Lucy Liu and Frida Pinto can't get Julia or Reeses' roles either, LOL.
That's not true. Gabrielle Union starred in Bring it On which most would expect Reese to play. She also appeared in Ugly Betty and plenty of other movies.

Queen Latifah has also played in movies including the newest with Dolly.

I can say it the other way in that Juila and Reese won't run for the same roles as Gabrielle and Latifah. If you look at their resumes, Latifah and Gabrielle are more diverse in their roles, even though Juila is one of my favorites since Pretty Women

Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,595,334 times
Quote:
That's not true. Gabrielle Union starred in Bring it On which most would expect Reese to play. She also appeared in Ugly Betty and plenty of other movies.

Queen Latifah has also played in movies including the newest with Dolly.

I can say it the other way in that Juila and Reese won't run for the same roles as Gabrielle and Latifah. If you look at their resumes, Latifah and Gabrielle are more diverse in their roles, even though Juila is one of my favorites since Pretty Women

Ok well you've convinced yourself that black actress and dark skinned actresses are on the same level in hollywood as white ones and are making $20-$25 million per picture. So there's nothing more I can say. Ok fine. take care.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle234 View Post
BET is owned by viacom. Their programming is actually detrimental to black women. Don't forget that BET makes their money off of black destructive stereotypes. I do not enjoy misogynistic rap songs that label black women as b*tches and "hoes." That's just not my cup of tea.

I listen to Hip Hop. They are not just speaking about black women. Even though I do not agree with some hip hop music, but I also listen to rock music that talks about drug abuse and screwing random women which I don't agree with either.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
The funny part is, Julia and Reese have aged horribly, but you are correct, ethnic women can not get the same roles. I also notice that whenever black women are in a movie, usually it's negative or there's some type of trauma involved. This is why I refused to see "The HELP," "For Colored Girls," or "Precious."

Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 PM

7 posts, read 4,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle234 View Post
The term "American men" encompasses a lot of different things. It really depends on which race/nationality you are referring to.
Mostly I am saying American White Men. I have read and heard of the American Whites to be very racist here but decided to give them a chance. The men I have met were quite racist and were ignorant about Africa in general, quite embarrassing. The Black American men tend to be more interested in European women. I live in an affluent area most black men are married to European women. White American is married to European or Asian women. The dark skinned ladies are left single which makes sense to me now since we are the least desirable in this country. In Africa the men would be more willing to date darker skinned woman.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Ok well you've convinced yourself that black actress and dark skinned actresses are on the same level in hollywood as white ones and are making $20-$25 million per picture. So there's nothing more I can say. Ok fine. take care.
If you read my post, I actually agree. But it doesn't just happen in the media. That is why I stated there is specific media outlets aimed at black people such as BET.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty