Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 PM

84 posts, read 57,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink tulip View Post
These response explain very much. I did not know that African women were least desirable to men in America, this supports everything that I have experienced. American men just simply find european woman the most desirable. They will be picked out first myself will be picked last if at all. Nothing I can do to change that mindset. Thank you for replies
Well, don't feel bad. You just have to recognize the situation for what it is and assimilate.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle234 View Post
Well, don't feel bad. You just have to recognize the situation for what it is and assimilate.
In other words give up dating or w/e. That's what I did. I don't even bother.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Really? Because I don't remember ever seeing black woman/Indian woman on the cover of Maxim or Stuff or Playboy....those magazines aren't rocket science but they are men's magazines, geared towards what men find attractive. There was a huge article and controversy written on the subject of the lack of darker skinned women on magazines, you can look it up if you want. Also, I want to point out if they do put a black woman on the cover 9 times out of 10 it's someone that looks more like Halle Berry, Rihanna, Zoe Saldana than it is someone that looks like Tika Sumpter or Alek Wek. Guaranteed. Really popular shows like the old 90210, Friends, Buffy, etc. there is very little diversity on those shows. I'm not bashing asian women, white women or latina women at all, but I call it like I see it. A lot of times people (not you in particular) don't want to admit certain things because they aren't the nicest things or best things to admit -- that doesn't make them any less true. I am linking to an article about racial diversity on the covers of magazines, this is a positive one, but it still recognizes that it's a rare thing. Coming from a journalism background, I know this is a rarity as well.
Women's magazines break the mould with black and Asian cover stars | Life and style | The Guardian
I agree with what you said, but I think the reason for this is the monetary "bottom line" which reflects the "market" and who buys these magazines in America. And I would bet that mainly white men do; hence, they cater to those women that these men would find attractive.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
In other words give up dating or w/e. That's what I did. I don't even bother.
Yes, I think smart black women exploit their exotic factor. I'm a major fan of dark women wearing their natural hair and really representing themselves as authentic in every way... because it gives us the advantage. No other race of women can imitate our look. A white or Asian women will never be able to make their hair kinky (unless they wear a wig) and they will never have our hue.

Confidence is everything and I believe that we have to market our natural attributes to men that really love our look.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
I agree with what you said, but I think the reason for this is the monetary "bottom line" which reflects the "market" and who buys these magazines in America. And I would bet that mainly white men do; hence, they cater to those women that these men would find attractive.
Well outside of the U.S., many of the same magazines are targeted to non whites. You will notice that the women who appear on the cover are always closest to the white ideal, even when the magazines are sold in Asia, India, Latin America and Africa.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think smart black women exploit their exotic factor. I'm a major fan of dark women wearing their natural hair and really representing themselves as authentic in every way... because it gives us the advantage. No other race of women can imitate our look. A white or Asian women will never be able to make their hair kinky (unless they wear a wig) and they will never have our hue.

Confidence is everything and I believe that we have to market our natural attributes to men that really love our look.

Well I like weaves, LOL. I don't have anything against a person wearing their hair natural, whatever floats her boat. What men do you market yourself to? Because I don't see any to even do that. I don't have anything against black men, but they don't pay me any attention so I don't pay them any either! The type of guys I like do NOT like my 'look' & is definitely opposite me everyone is attracted to something different. I chalk it up to being 'sh*t out of luck' in this area. You can make people men/women like your looks so that's why i don't even bother trying anymore.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Well I like weaves, LOL. I don't have anything against a person wearing their hair natural, whatever floats her boat. What men do you market yourself to? Because I don't see any to even do that. I don't have anything against black men, but they don't pay me any attention so I don't pay them any either! The type of guys I like do NOT like my 'look' & is definitely opposite me everyone is attracted to something different. I chalk it up to being 'sh*t out of luck' in this area. You can make people men/women like your looks so that's why i don't even bother trying anymore.
Everyone has to find the best look for them. I do understand that some women like extensions, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I think black women stand out more when we wear our natural kinky hair.

I read a lot of message boards and I think we (dark black women) spend too much time focussing on those who are not really into our look. But I don't think you should give up dating. Just gravitate to the ones who like you. Also if you are 'thick' or big, I would advise you to lose the weight, since being thin will make you more desirable.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 5,677 times
I will just stick with only dating African men. I never have put a relaxer on my hair and do not wear weaves. I flat iron my hair if I want it to look straight. I cannot change my race or heritage but I was never aware of American men being very racist.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
I think that is why there is media aimed at black people including BET, black men magazine, black movies and so on. There are many black women that are protrayed as sexy and attractive women in the media. Take Gabrielle Union, Queen Latiah, Janet Jackson, Mary J. Blige, Whitney Houston, Michelle Obama etc. In fact, I am watching BET Honors right now. They are honoring many beautiful black women on the stage tonight. Being a black women, I am proud of that.

It also depends on where you live because there are many white men open to dating black women. But it goes both ways, some black women don't find white men attractive. I won't rate them at the top but I have no problem with attraction to them.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Everyone has to find the best look for them. I do understand that some women like extensions, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I think black women stand out more when we wear our natural kinky hair.

I read a lot of message boards and I think we (dark black women) spend too much time focussing on those who are not really into our look. But I don't think you should give up dating. Just gravitate to the ones who like you. Also if you are 'thick' or big, I would advise you to lose the weight, since being thin will make you more desirable.

thanks I appreciate the advice but that ship has sailed and I am not looking to date. thanks though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty