Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times

Advertisements

My fiancee is planning on going to a tanning salon in preparation for our early March wedding, because she feels she could use some more color.

I am not too crazy about that, because I do not want to be the pasty white groom next to a tan bride. Nor, do I want an unnaturally tan bride (who has way too much color for March in Buffalo).

If she goes through with this, my options are pasty white, or to get some color.

So I have never been to a tanning salon, and have no idea what I would be asking to get. Basically, if I did it, I would want to get some color, but not necessarily look like I had spent the last two weeks laying out all day on a beach either. Just enough to take the edge of fair winter skin away.

What should I be asking to get? How many sessons/lengths of time? (I probably would go for tanning bed before light-less methods, as we are going to the carribean for our honeymoon, and having a start to some color would be helpful down there in the sun).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 PM

699 posts, read 2,218,426 times
the first rule of a tanning bed is that if you don't get color from the sun,
you will most likely not get color from a tanning bed. that said:

you will want to buy tanning by the session, not by the month, imo.

your first time, you will most likely be in for a short duration, like 8-10 minutes, on
a traditional, non-high power bed. you will most likely have some sunburn, and will
need up to 3-4 days for your color to turn and perhaps slightly peel. moisturize!!!!
with a good quality body lotion or aloe.

after that, you will want to go back on the 3rd or 4th day, depending on your skin,
and go longer, up to 12-15 minutes in a non-HP bed or step up to a high powered
bed or booth.

you should see color gradually come in over 4-5 sessions, provided you haven't
left too much time between visits.

always wear your goggles/eye protection and i always wear lip balm, as my lips are
sensitive in the sun. i do not use beds that have a separate face tanning bulbs. these
facial bulbs are too strong for my face. i prefer a booth to a bed for that reason and
that i have problems with my low back and cannot lay comfortably in them.

there is logic that you don't want to burn yourself to a crisp in the caribbean
on such an important trip.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Thanks for the tips.

I do get color from sun so it will likely be beneficial in that regard. Good to know some of the basics!!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:14 PM

410 posts, read 742,750 times
I am a fair skinned person and have used tanning beds in the past. First, I recommend starting very slow. Another poster mentioned that you will most likely burn the first time. You should not burn at all. When you burn and the skin peels off, so does your tan. You should start very slow, think 5 minutes, and then increase the time every visit by only a minute or so. Don't hesitate to ask the staff there how long you should go in for. If you do burn, cut back your time the next visit (after the burn heals).

Old 02-15-2012, 03:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Why don't you try a spray tan first and see if you like it? It's quick, easy and no sun damage. If you go that route, find someone who actually sprays you, rather than an automatic booth. You could get one now and if you don't like it, it will have faded by the time of your wedding.

I got one recently prior to a trip to the Caribbean and I liked it ok. I thought it looked pretty natural, but you have to be careful and not scrub too hard in the shower to keep it looking even.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:35 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
You and your soon-to-be wife should skip the tanning and use that money that you would have spent on an artificial orangey glow to take a weekend away to a sunny place to get some real color right before the wedding.

Seems a weird way to start a meaningful life together - preoccupied with fake tan. ?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM

541 posts, read 860,875 times
I agree with the above poster about trying a spray tan instead. Why risk skin cancer for not wanting to be pasty white? And with a spray tan, you can control the amount of color you want and do easy touch-ups if needed.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
I agree with the above poster about trying a spray tan instead. Why risk skin cancer for not wanting to be pasty white? And with a spray tan, you can control the amount of color you want and do easy touch-ups if needed.
As a person who's had skin cancer from the sun and tanning beds I also agree about the spray tan.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 PM

699 posts, read 2,218,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
I am a fair skinned person and have used tanning beds in the past. First, I recommend starting very slow. Another poster mentioned that you will most likely burn the first time. You should not burn at all. When you burn and the skin peels off, so does your tan. You should start very slow, think 5 minutes, and then increase the time every visit by only a minute or so. Don't hesitate to ask the staff there how long you should go in for. If you do burn, cut back your time the next visit (after the burn heals).
i am fair skinned and i burn very slightly, but i don't lose my tan. my skin burns then tans, even if i peel.

what happens in the sun for each individual will translate directly to how one
reacts in a tanning bed.

as for all the skin cancer talk, it is highly unlikely to occur with 5 sessions in
a tanning bed.

my advice to the OP: don't spray that orange, fake crap on your skin before
the wedding. it looks awful and will get all over that beautiful dress that
your wife will be wearing.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM

410 posts, read 742,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
i am fair skinned and i burn very slightly, but i don't lose my tan. my skin burns then tans, even if i peel.

what happens in the sun for each individual will translate directly to how one
reacts in a tanning bed.
My point was just that burning in the tanning bed is not necessarily something that you should expect, but something that you should try to avoid by starting slowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty